I've posted this around on a few forums and not got any luck so I'm hoping the Intel community can come through with the goods. I've got a brand new system and all of a sudden it's become highly unstable (and therefore unusable) due to being stuck in a BSOD loop rotating between several different errors. Whilst testing components we noted that crashes were also caused when inserting a USB wifi dongle and/or flash drive.
I've tested other components pretty heavily (and separately) but the CPU is a little trickier for me to isolate. We've checked for physical damage (bent pins and the like) and haven't seen anything. I also did a stress test before it got unusable and there were no errors or high temps there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm at my wit's end.
- Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
- Intel Core i7 @ 4.20GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
- RAM 16.0GB
- MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A63) (U3E1)
- ASUS MG279Q (2560x1440@64Hz)
- ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (MSI)
- 465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (SSD)32 °C
- Realtek High Definition Audio
- Silverstone Strider Gold S Series 80 Gold 850W PSU
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/U2tl25T2LXfHXvxFMhRZ... (From Safe Mode, in case it's helpful)
BSOD errors noted
- Driver overran stack buffer
- Kmode exception not handled
- Recource not owned
- Kernal security check failure
- Reference by pointer
- Quota underflow
- Bad pool caller
- Page fault in nonpaged area
- DPC watchdog violation
- System thread exception not handled
- ++ a few which I've missed
Safe mode is the only way to be able to use my system for longer than a few seconds. The PC can't even remain stable for long enough to reinstall windows! Hardware-wise nothing has been tweaked beyond how it came in the box. Here are my specs, in case it helps.
Here is my report from System Information: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7cn0y8ls5r6rsr/System%20Information.txt?dl=0
And here are my mini dumps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7flgrclmgayzdbb/Minidump.zip?dl=0
When this issue began
This may or may not be related, but when playing PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) I got a system lock up accompanied by a plain screen of flat colour (which may actually be close to my theme's colour: dark red and an audio stutter/buzz). Hard power-down is required. As my best guess, this was the when the BSODs started.
Yes. If I can get to Safe Mode is it fine though. I can't recall a BSOD in Safe Mode. EDIT: It does crash in Safe Mode with USB insertion/removal.
Date of purchase
1 month ago, still under Warranty
Cause/Steps to recreate the issue
Turn on PC and it'll happen almost instantly. Some BSODs happen before you even get into Windows. Crashes even happen during Windows install process. The only way to reinstall was to take the SSD out and install Windows using another PC before putting the SSD back into my box.
Plugging something into USB will almost certainly BSOD it too.
What I've tried so far to resolve the issue
- Win10's inbuilt memory test
- MemTest86 (8 passes)
- Tested RAM sticks individually
- chkdsk + scandisk
- Rebuild MBR
- System Restore (BSOD during)
- System Reset (can't do it sometimes, other times it BSODs)
- Startup Repair (BSOD during)
- Removed GPU, ran DDU and tried onboard GFX
- Removed all other components and tested successfully separately
- Updating all motherboard drivers and flashing BIOS
- Unplugging front USB from motherboard
- Updating SSD firmware
- Tested another RAM stick from motherboard's compatibility list and still got BSODs
- Win8 wouldn't complete an install either. BSODd during install (as does Win10)
- Installed Win10 on same SSD in another PC and it went fine (ie the SSD is fine)
- Ubuntu seemed to run fine off USB3
- There may be more, sorry I've tried so much I've probably forgotten some of the things.
Everything seems to point to the motherboard being faulty but I've just got this gut feeling that because it doesn't BSOD (as far as I remember) safe mode it's not faulty. Before I send it off for RMA and potentially incur a cost for them not finding it faulty I thought I'd try one last time to find an expert who might be able to shine some light on this for me.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me, I am so desperate to get this sorted out.