5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2017 12:37 PM by Intel Corporation

What is SMBus-A123 and PMC-A121?

wingman99

What is Chip set driver SMBus-A123 and PMC-A121 and What do they do?

• 1. Re: What is SMBus-A123 and PMC-A121?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for sharing that information with our communities. We will do our best in order to provide the information you are looking for.

In order to better assist you, we just wanted to verify a few details:
          What is the model of the motherboard?
          What is the model of the processor?
          If this is a laptop, what is the model of the laptop?
          Which Windows version are you using?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: What is SMBus-A123 and PMC-A121?
            N.Scott.Pearson

A123 is the device identifier for the System Management Bus (SMBus) device (interface) contained within the 100 Series chipset's Platform Controller Hub (PCH) IC.

A121 is the device identifier for the Power Management Controller (PMC) device that is also contained within this PCH.

I will presume that you are asking because these devices are being flagged in Device Manager as having not been resolved. In order to resolve these devices, you need to install the Intel Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. the INF Update Utility) package. This package is available here: Download Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility).

Since this gets asked all the time, I will answer it now. This software package does not install any programs or device drivers or anything of that nature. What it installs are a number of Setup Information (INF) files that will accomplish two things:

1. Resolve entries for devices within the processor and chipset that do not have device drivers.
            2. Configure standard (Microsoft-supplied) device drivers to more-optimally support the devices within the processor and chipset.

In some cases -- and the SMBus interface is a good example -- a device driver for this interface may be installed separately, typically as part of some software package that will communicate with a device connected to the SMBus. It is thus important to install the Intel Chipset Device Software package BEFORE installing these other packages. Better said, the Intel Chipset Device Software package should be one of the first things that you install after installing Windows.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: What is SMBus-A123 and PMC-A121?
              Intel Corporation

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Thank you very much to  for the details provided above.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 4. Re: What is SMBus-A123 and PMC-A121?
                wingman99

A123 is the device identifier for the System Management Bus (SMBus) device (interface) contained within the 100 Series chipset's Platform Controller Hub (PCH) IC.

A121 is the device identifier for the Power Management Controller (PMC) device that is also contained within this PCH.

I will presume that you are asking because these devices are being flagged in Device Manager as having not been resolved. In order to resolve these devices, you need to install the Intel Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. the INF Update Utility) package. This package is available here: Download Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility).

Since this gets asked all the time, I will answer it now. This software package does not install any programs or device drivers or anything of that nature. What it installs are a number of Setup Information (INF) files that will accomplish two things:

1. Resolve entries for devices within the processor and chipset that do not have device drivers.
                2. Configure standard (Microsoft-supplied) device drivers to more-optimally support the devices within the processor and chipset.

In some cases -- and the SMBus interface is a good example -- a device driver for this interface may be installed separately, typically as part of some software package that will communicate with a device connected to the SMBus. It is thus important to install the Intel Chipset Device Software package BEFORE installing these other packages. Better said, the Intel Chipset Device Software package should be one of the first things that you install after installing Windows.

Hope this helps,

...S

That information is exactly what I was looking for. Just that windows updated A123 and A121 by it self and I did not know why?

• 5. Re: What is SMBus-A123 and PMC-A121?
                  Intel Corporation

: Perfect, it is great to hear that the information posted previously was useful for you. In regard to your inquiry, the best thing to do to gather the most accurate response will be to get in contact directly with Microsoft:
                  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                  Alberto R