1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2017 11:38 AM by Intel Corporation

Can't enter bios.

Boris1

When I turn on Intel Joule, many strings of text appear and Intel logo doesn't appear, so I can't press f2 to enter the BIOS. After that Ostro OS XT appears. How can I enter the BIOS?

• 1. Re: Can't enter bios.
          Boris1

I suppose fast boot mode to be enabled. And now I can't turn off it to enter the BIOS. I need some help with it.

• 2. Re: Can't enter bios.
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Boris,

Thanks for reaching out.

I would like to let you know that the Ostro image was replaced by the Ref-OS-IoT, also it is a very good practice to keep your Joule up-to-date, so I’d recommend to update the Joule's BIOS and the image to the latest version by following these guides:

Note: The current base-know-configuration release is FW 1J2 + OS 1706
            • Additionally, in order to connect a keyboard, Mouse, etc., using a powered hub is recommended to ensure the platform USB output supply is not overloaded by device current draw. 
            Hope this information helps and let us know if you have any other question.

Regards,
            -Yermi A.
            • 3. Re: Can't enter bios.
              Intel Corporation

Hi Boris,

Did you try to update the Joule’s BIOS and image? Do you still need help in this thread?

Regards,
              -Yermi A.

• 4. Re: Can't enter bios.
                Boris1

I have tried to update BIOS like in this article: IoT. And when I tried to update BIOS through cmd it give me following message:

- Provisioning the eMMC...

- ERROR: Provisioning failed!

- 0x30003

- Device not found.

Be sure that the unit is in DnX mode and the OS has enuremated it.

Also check that the USB cable is seated completely.

- Checking for RPMB...

- ERROR: RPMB check failed!

- 0x30003

- Device not found.

- Downloading the BIOS...

- ERROR: Downloading failed!

- 0x30003

- Device not found.

So, I stopped on this step. How can I resolve this problem?

• 5. Re: Can't enter bios.
                  Boris1

I send you printscreen of what I have

• 6. Re: Can't enter bios.
                    Boris1

And also device manager shows intel DnX device in the list for a limited time. After this it dissapears.

• 7. Re: Can't enter bios.
                      Boris1

Okay, I have made all steps from guide you sent and now I try to turn-on Joule. And there is white light near the processor which blinks twice periodically. And there is no signal on a display. How can I start it?

• 8. Re: Can't enter bios.
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Boris,

Thanks for the information. First, I would like to let you that regarding the first error you got (screenshot), other users have reported that same issue and in those cases the issue was because they did not run the FlashUsbDriver-1.0.0.exe which is under the folder joule-firmware-2017-06-26-1J2-public\DNX\DNX-dldrcli\installer or was trying to update the BIOS in an Intel Compute Stick. Please take a look at these threads for more information:

Now, I would like to know the following:

• Do you see an output if you power the Joule and access it via serial terminal?
                        • Did you get any issues or error messages when flashed the latest BIOS and Ref-IoT-OS?

Regards,
                        -Yermi A.

• 9. Re: Can't enter bios.
                          Boris1

Hello!

1. When I power up Joule I have no signal on display. What is serial terminal?

2. I have only flashed BIOS, I didn't flash Ref-IoT-OS. When I was flashing BIOS I have no error messages. All it looked fine. I send you printscreen of cmd window.

There is only white shining diode on the processor, which is blinking periodically. And there is no booting or some signal on the display.

• 10. Re: Can't enter bios.
                            Intel Corporation

Hi Boris1,

According to the picture you shared, the BIOS flashing process has not finished successfully, after the “Downloading the BIOS…” message you should see “Clearing NvStorage…” message as it is shown below:

1.png

Please try to flash the BIOS 1J2 again with the ‘-clear’ parameter, I also highly recommend you to update the Ref-IoT-OS.

Flash.bat -clear Joule_C0-X64-Release-1J2-Public_DNX.bin

Regarding the serial terminal, you can connect a micro-usb cable to the micro-usb port (J9) on the Joule expansion board and open a putty session while you apply power to the board, refer to this guide for more details: Serial Terminal Communications.

I’ll be waiting for your results.

Regards,
                            -Yermi A.

• 11. Re: Can't enter bios.
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Boris1,

Did you try to flash the Joule using the “-clear” parameter as I suggested above? Do you still need help in this case?

Regards,
                              -Yermi A.

• 12. Re: Can't enter bios.
                                Boris1

Hi, Yermi A!

You helped me to solve this problem, thank you a lot! And can you tell about the difference of two operating systems for Joule: Windows 10 IoT and Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTS? Which of these do I need to program on Joule in C++?
                                I have already tried to install Windows 10 IoT as well as Ubuntu Desktop. But unfortunately, under the installing Windows 10 IoT when I execute command MakeWinPEMedia /UFD C:\WinPE_amd64 G: the command line of Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment it gives an error: ERROR: Failed to format "G:"; DiskPart errorlevel -2147024809. And if I skip this error and go further I face error while booting the Windows 10 IoT on Joule: after pressing EFI USB Device in BIOS of Joule it says that booting has been failed and then the BIOS menu appers again. How can I solve this problem?

Also I've tried to install Ubuntu desktop on Joule. It was okay while making the bootable device, but when I pressed EFI USB Device it shows many strings messaging about occured error.

Could you help me with these issues?

Regards,
                                - Boris1.

• 13. Re: Can't enter bios.
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi Boris,

Great to know you were able to solve your problem.

The Joule OS supported by us is the Reference OS (Ref-IOT-OS) which can be downloaded from the site I provided you in my first reply. You can program in C++ using the Ref-IOT-OS. Unfortunately, other OSs like Ubuntu and Windows 10 IoT are not supported by us, although they are compatible with Joule, so my suggestions are limited.

After some research I found that the error you are receiving when execute the command “MakeWinPEMedia /UFD C:\WinPE_amd64 G:” can be caused because the partition of your USB flash drive is too large and the steps provided to fix that was:

1. Clean the USB key with diskpart.
                                  2. Create a smaller partition.  (I created a 4096MB one)
                                  3. Try the command again "MakeWinPEMedia /UFD C:\WinPE_amd64 X:" (change X: to the newly created partition)

Here you can find more details about the discussion: DiskPart errorlevel -2147024809.

Additionally, I’d suggest you to contact Windows 10 IoT support (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=WindowsIoT) or Ubuntu support (https://developer.ubuntu.com/core/get-started/intel-joule) in case you decided to use one of those Oss since they can provide you a more accurate answer.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
                                  -Yermi A.

• 14. Re: Can't enter bios.
                                    Boris1

Hi, Yermi A!

Now I try to install Ref-Iot-OS. And I've gor some qustions on it.

Do I need point file "full-image-intel-5xx-64.wic.xz" or .wic-file situated inside this .xz-file while I configure Rufus for writing image on flash-drive?
                                    What is putty or some other terminal window display mentioned in the instruction on installing Ref-IoT-OS (on photo)?

Regards,
                                    -Boris1.

1 2 Previous Next