4809 Discussions

Excessive Err/Drop on Team [1219v / 1211]

ssean3
Beginner

Hello,

Environment:

CPU: Intel i7-6700k 4GHz

RAM: 32GB

NIC: Intel 1219V / 1211 (on-board) (using latest Intel ANS drivers)

MB: Gigabyte H170N (r.1)

Router: Netgear R7000 (DD-WRT)

Gateway: Arris SB 6190 (Comcast)

Background:

I've been using ANS Teaming on and off for the past 6 months. The team has mostly worked up until a few days ago, and I have no idea what might have changed in my environment or why this problem might have started.

I create the team generally following this method:

1. Install the ANS driver (reboot)

2. Unplug NICs from router

3. setup switch: (from different LAN client)

a. create LAG group

b. assign ports to LAG group

c. select static link aggregation on ports 3 & 4

d. disable STP

3. Enable TRUNK

4. Create static link aggregation team in ANS

5. Power off computer

6. Power off router

7. Plug NICs into router

8. Power on router

9. Power on computer

Team is created successfully. (screenshot 1)

Issue:

Receinvg A LOT of errors/dropped connections on the team. If I run a speedtest (speedtest.net) and watch the team in real-time, Err/Drop numbers will spike drastically. There are no errors reported on the router syslog.

After TWO speedtests, the team will show approx Err: 2000 / Drop 4000 (Screenshot 2)

After 3 days of heavy traffic, the team will show approx Err: 50,000/ Drop: 80,000 (Screenshot 3)

Troubleshooting:

-Ran Intel ANS diagnostics: All tests passed

-Removing team

-Reinstalling NICs, and drivers

-Removing team, running speedtest on individual NICs (Very few err/drops)

-Replaced cables

Any ideas what might be happening?

Thanks,

SV

Screenshot 1:

Screenshot 2:

Screenshot 3:

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi SeanVree,

Thank you for posting at Wired Communities. Just want to double check were there any changes made on the system recently? e.g. driver or Windows updates?

What are the sites you visited when you encountered these drop errors?

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
ssean3
Beginner

Well, first let me say that this is acts as a "headless server" So, it serves multiple applications and multiple websites to include IIS. So it's hard to pinpoint what exact "websites" were visited when the ERR/Drops occur. But like I said, speedtest.net is one that I can pinpoint.

As far as changes to the system: There are Windows Updates are installed every Tuesday...so, that's one. But again, hard to pinpoint what "changes" were made to the box as it's continually updating software on it's own.

However, If I completely remove the team, reinstall the drivers for both of the cards individually, and re-create the team, it immediately starts to drop connections, so I'm not sure that it's really dependant on any one website.

Thanks for the response, please advise,

SV

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SeanVree,

Thank you for the reply. Have you tried updating the driver for the NIC? As this is an onboard NIC on Gigabyte, you can check if they have any customized latest driver.

Another thing to check is do you have an external NIC in which you can teamed with one of these two onboard NIC to check which one is causing the issue?

Try connecting to different switch port.

Contact Gigabyte also as these are onboard NIC and they are in better position to check on the hardware aspect. Please feel free to provide updates.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
ssean3
Beginner

Sharon,

- the latest intel NIC drivers they provide is 20.7, which to my understanding does NOT support NIC Teaming.

- I do have an external NIC, but I thought both teamed NICs have to be the same model? The external NIC i have is not Intel. Either way, why would the Intel NICs not work?

- Most routers (including mine) only support aggregation on ports 3 & 4. (see screenshot below)

Please advise,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SeanVree,

Thank you for the information. Teaming does not required the NIC to be in same model, as long as there is a server adapter to initiate the teaming. Using the external NIC is to check if the same issue will happen as well.

Any chances you could revert back to previous state of your operating system without some Windows 10 updates but not affecting your system, since these are the recent changes made.

Just to double check if this is the latest software driver you installed?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10-?product=82186

Please try contacting your board vendor to check on the hardware aspect as these are onboard NIC. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000006628.html?wapkw=oem+network

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
ssean3
Beginner

Sharon,

Reverting back is not an option on this box, there's just been too much data that has changed in the OS. I'm also not confident that would help at all since we really don't know what's causing it.

Unfortunately, as previously stated, the Motherboard manufacturer (Gigabyte) has not provided updated drivers for the 1219V or 1211, so ANS will not work. I did test by rolling back the driver to their most updated driver, but as soon as I booted the machine and connected it to the WAN, it updated the drivers automatically anyway. So...that's not much help.

I do understand that Intel does not "officially" support in integrated NICs, however, It did work perfectly a few months ago, so I was really just wondering if there are any configuration changes I could make to the team and/or individual NICs themselves (i,e, buffer, packets, etc) to see if that might clear up some of the drops/errs.

If you have any ideas, let me know.

Otherwise, I guess we can call this issue closed.

Thanks for taking the time.

SV

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI SeanVree,

Thank you for the update and I am sorry to hear what happened. Here are some reference link for Intel teaming and advance parameter, you may try check if the configuration suggestion below are applicable to your setting: (as OEM onboard NIC might have some modification on the advance property)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005667.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005593.html

Can you try enabling the flow control?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005811.html

Hope the above information could be of help.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
ssean3
Beginner

Hey Sharon,

Thanks so much for the info. This gives me hope!

A couple things -

1 - Flow control is already enabled, which is the default...did you mean DISABLE it?

2 - I'm looking at a lot of these other configuration options for the NICs, and there's a lot, but I understand them all and what they do. However, I obviously need to apply these changes to the individual NICs while they are NOT teamed, correct? Because the team virtual adapter doesn't have these performance options.

Also - do I need to make sure that BOTH adapters have the SAME settings?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SeanVree,

You are welcome and hope the information could be of help. The default setting of flow control is "Generate & Respond", disabling can result in dropping of frames.

Yes, you need to apply the setting while they are not teamed and preferably the same setting on both NICs. Hope this clarifies. Please feel free to update me.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SeanVree,

Please feel free to update me if the information helps.

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos