Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

recent 100% cpu usage with i5 6600k and BF1

AMelo1
Beginner

Hello everyone,

First of all, my specs: Gigabyte z170xp-sli, i5 6600k OC to 4.5ghz, 32gb Corsair ddr4, Gtx 1070 mini Gigabyte, Windows 10 (both anniversary's and creator's update), latest nvidia drivers (385.41)

I always played this game fine with stable 75fps (v-sync on), with no problems, ultra-settings, 70-80% cpu usage. Two months ago I started having nonstop 100% cpu usage and framedrops, stutters. It has been very annoying. I have tried everything you could imagine and only temporary fixes were obtained. There's no other app at task manager consuming CPU, only BF1. Temps are fine with maximum 50-60ºC.

Things I've tried: reinstalling the game, cleaning origin cache, uninstalled nvidia drivers using DDU, lowering graphics settings, created user.cfg files, undo of the CPU overclock and RAM, wiped out the harddrive and did a fresh install of W10, cleaned CMOS, updated BIOS.

Temporary fix: I created a Windows User just for gaming and doing that normalized CPU usage for like 3 weeks and then the problem showed up again. Tried to create another user again, but never had that luck again. This made me suspicious about processor degradation, because it seems to get worse with time.

I don't know what's going on, I would appreciate any help. Could the overclock damaged the processor? I did not encounter any problems like BSOD or freezing. Sometimes boot would failure, although they were rare.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you tried uninstalling the Creator's Update?

...S

0 Kudos
AMelo1
Beginner

Most of the problem happened without the creator's update. I have just installed it recently to see if performance got better.

0 Kudos
AMelo1
Beginner

Nobody? Thought I could get help from intel support here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi andreimelo,

I understand the processor usage goes up to 100% with Battlefield 1. Let me try to help on this matter.

I noticed you are overclocking the processor, this means you have changed processor and memory settings. This might cause this type of issue. Please bear in mind the support for an overclocked processor is limited at Intel, no matter if the processor is unlocked.

Have you tried patching the game?

Additionally, I found this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/57d7f3/bf1_is_100_cpu_usage_normal_for_a_6600k/ https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/57d7f3/bf1_is_100_cpu_usage_normal_for_a_6600k/

Hope it helps.

Allan J.

0 Kudos
AMelo1
Beginner

So why does cpu usage drops to 60-70% in windowed mode? It's the same resolution and frame rate.

0 Kudos