4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2017 2:31 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Can't get into Intel Visual Bios on New NUC5CPYH

Jo91

Greetings everyone at Intel Community!

I need help with setting up my new NUC5CPYH that is connected via HDMI to a Sony W67 42" TV.

1. The NUC5CPYH is equipped with a correct 4gb RAM & functional SSD.

2. It did boot correctly into the Intel Visual Bios at the store where I got it.

3. But now after bringing it home, connected it to the TV, trying to Boot into Intel Visual Bios failed.

4. There is a starting Menu that has the "Intel NUC" title, a small menu at the bottom having F2, F7 & F10 to access different option.

5. None of them worked.

6. The NUC is connected to a Logitech wireless keyboard that seems to work after the menu when it is asking to:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device, press a key"

Goal: To boot into Intel Visual Bios so I can change the boot device and install a Windows OS.

Your upcoming help is much appreciated, thank you!

• 1. Re: Can't get into Intel Visual Bios on New NUC5CPYH
          dougho

I do not know if this is still a problem, but on earlier NUCs when there were reports similar to yours, the problem was often that the TV being used did not support a certain video mode, I think it might be 1024x768.  Sometimes the TV had one port (such as #1) which worked better for PCs than the other port.  An obvious workaround was to try hooking to some other monitor, at least for accessing the BIOS.  But a quick look at your TV manual doesn't make me think that is your situation.

Have you tried pressing the F2 key a bunch of times starting right after you press the power button (some keyboards require pressing some additional key like F in order to make the standard function)?  Have you tried a different keyboard (such as wired)?  And finally, have you considered trying the sequence to get what is called the Power Button Menu (which hopefully then allows getting into Visual BIOS)?  Power Button Menu means something like starting with power off, then holding down the power button a very specific amount of time around three seconds, then releasing power button and waiting for special "Power Button Menu."  If you hold it down too long (such as four) then it just forces powers off, and if you hold it too short (such as one-two) then it just powers on.

• 2. Re: Can't get into Intel Visual Bios on New NUC5CPYH
            N.Scott.Pearson

There is a known problem with certain Logitech wireless keyboards not working in the BIOS on the NUCs.

Ok, having said that, I realized that this was worth documenting yet again, even though I have previously reported it (and directly to the development team - but maybe that was part of the problem). Hopefully, if Intel Customer Support (intel_corp) files the defect report, maybe we will see this get fixed...

I tested with three different wireless keyboards:

1. Logitech K410 Wireless Keyboard with integrated touchpad.
            2. Logitech K250 Wireless Keyboard. This is mated with a Logitech M515 Wireless "Couch" Mouse (i.e. they share a single dongle).
            3. Smart Tech Handcrafted Natural Bamboo Wireless Keyboard (Yes, it is made of Bamboo. So what? Don't judge me! It was a gift (honest!)).

...and I tested across the following set of NUCs:

D54250WYKH             (2) and (3) worked in BIOS and Windows; (1) only worked in Windows.

NUC5i7RYH                (2) and (3) worked in BIOS and Windows; (1) only worked in Windows.

NUC5i5MYH               (2) and (3) worked in BIOS and Windows; (1) only worked in Windows.

NUC5PGYH                (2) and (3) worked in BIOS and Windows; (1) only worked in Windows.

NUC6i5SYH                (2) and (3) worked in BIOS and Windows; (1) only worked in Windows.

NUC6i7KYK                (2) and (3) worked in BIOS and Windows; (1) only worked in Windows.

NUC6CAYH                 (2) and (3) worked in BIOS and Windows; (1) only worked in Windows.

NUC7i7BNH                (2) and (3) worked in BIOS and Windows; (1) only worked in Windows.

[Note: NUC5PGYH is functionally equivalent to the NUC5CPYH; it uses the same BIOS and it's the same motherboard (but with eMMC SSD mounted on it)]

I guess I can say, with pretty high confidence, that the NUC BIOSs are *all* broken when it comes to supporting this K410 keyboard. If I was to hazard a guess, considering that the K250/M515 combination worked just fine (even though they share a dongle), the issue likely has something to do with the fact that this keyboard also has the integrated touchpad. Unfortunately, I do not have another combo unit that I could try - well, other than a couple more K410's (which I purchased at the same time as the one used above) - and they don't work either!

I will re-run these tests with the Compute Sticks a little later...

...S

• 3. Re: Can't get into Intel Visual Bios on New NUC5CPYH
              lw1948

I suspect that there is a problem with your keyboard connection to Unified receiver. The connection may be lost for several reason, such as:

- Your keyboard power switch is OFF (switch it ON)

- Low battery level (check the battery level)

- Radio frequency interference from other sources (wireless speakers, monitors, cell phones, etc..)

- Interference from NUC USB 3.0 port (connect the Unified receiver to NUC, using USB extender cable)

If you have wired keyboard, try to work with it.

Check your Logitech keyboard on other computer.

One additional item for Scott's list: I'm working on NUC6i5SYH with Logitech combo MK520 (mouse M310 + Keyboard K520) and it is working in bios and in windows.

Hope this will help

Leon

• 4. Re: Can't get into Intel Visual Bios on New NUC5CPYH
                N.Scott.Pearson

Jodi,

Leon's checklist is something you should look at closely. For my testing, I did it with brand new batteries installed and the keyboard was within 2 feet of the NUCs and dongle, so I can say with confidence that it is not related to reception and is definitely a BIOS issue. Also, please let us know what keyboard you were testing with.

...S