5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2017 1:10 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC Fan Speed low

MRT_SKULL

My new NUC's fan is speed very low(0-900rpm) which cause cpu too hot (100 c). I have tried all options in bios(cool,balance),even changed the cooling mode to fixed 80% in BIOS.

What's wrong with my nuc?

How can i fix it ?

Bios version 0049

this pic is token after cool start less than 2min,   cpu temp constantly climb up.......even exceed 100 c

QQ图片20170826234453.jpg

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC Fan Speed low
          N.Scott.Pearson

Just to be sure, you have rebooted (and you saved the updated BIOS configuration in the process) since you changed the settings to Manual @ 80%, right? If not, remember that BIOS configuration parameter changes are applied during system reset (i.e. when the BIOS goes through POST). None of these parameters are applied instantaneously.

If you have rebooted since making the configuration changes, then I would say that two possibilities exist: (1) you have the minimum duty cycle set too low or (2) something is wrong with the fan.

For #1, I am concerned regarding the fact that I am seeing the fan stopped and only turning on as the temperature reached ~70c. While it's still possible that there is something physically wrong, seeing this usually indicates that your minimum duty cycle setting is way too low for this fan; lower than its stall speed. Now, this too could be an indicator of a bad fan - and definitely is the case if you really did reboot with a save after making the configuration changes - we'll need to figure that out.

For #2 (and possibly for #1), there are two major possibilities to consider, (a) something is blocking the fan from running properly or (2) there is something wrong with the fan (or the SIO IC that is driving the fan).

So, here's what I want to you do do. Go back into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS), and change the parameters as follows:

Fan Control Mode                      Custom

Minimum Duty Cycle (%)           40

Primary Temperature Sensor     Processor

Minimum Temperature (°C)        63

Duty Cycle Increment (%/°C)     3

Exit from Visual BIOS saving the configuration changes. During the reboot, hit F2 again and navigate to the Coolings settings scene. Let the system sit there for 2 minutes and then take a picture of the display and post it.

...S

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC Fan Speed low
            MRT_SKULL

Thanks for reply.

All BIOS settings are rebooted. To PROTECT CPU ,I have limit CPU FREQ to 2.6GHZ in all mode

Here is COLD boot with settings:

Fan Control Mode                      Custom

Minimum Duty Cycle (%)           40

Primary Temperature Sensor     Processor

Minimum Temperature (°C)        63

Duty Cycle Increment (%/°C)     3

This is 2min after set and reboot in bios.Fan speed constantly zero.

COLDBOOT_2MIN.jpg

This is 3min after set and reboot in bios.Fan speed constantly zero. CPU temp  high.

COLDBOOT_3MIN.jpg

This is WIN10 RUN status. it is very odd, Fan looks need to run into WIN10 to bootup.Please Notice fan speed up after a while cpu runs

INSYS.jpg

This is STRESS CPU,FAN SPEED CAN NOT GO UP after 3200RPM.(#cpu at 2.6GHz)

STRESS_CPU.jpg

This Warm Reboot from win10,fan is hold in 2400 rpm

WARM_REBOOT.jpg

I think the fan speed range is wrong. Early this month i have seen it run at 4000+ rpm when load is high (default cpu freq setting),but cpu temp just around 85

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC Fan Speed low
              N.Scott.Pearson

Well, I would conclude that there is something definitely wrong in the hardware. With temperatures in the high 80's, you should have seen the blower running at close to 6000 RPM.

Because the blower has a custom cowling (to ensure proper external exhaust of heated air), you are not going to find anywhere that you can purchase a replacement blower. What this means is that you need to have Intel replace the complete unit. You need to contact Intel Customer Support directly in order to set this up (i.e. you cannot do so here). Here is contact information, broken down by geography:

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for US and Canada

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Europe, Middle East and Africa

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Asia-Pacific

Intel Customer Support Contact Information for Latin America

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. If you have never been through this before, remember to remove your SSD(s) and SO-DIMM(s) before shipping it and only ship them the base unit. That is, don't include the power supply; they won't be sending you one back in the return shipment.

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC Fan Speed low
                MRT_SKULL

My Support Request is send.

But I'm a little worried about it will fail again.   I brought this NUC November-2016, now fan is failed with no replacement except intel . What will happen if 3-year warranty is out ?

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC Fan Speed low
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Well, I was hoping we would see Intel make the blower available through their spare parts service, but I haven't seen it there as yet...