4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2017 6:19 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

DDR4 @2133 vs @2400Mhz for NUC7I3BNH ?

Andy6

I read in the Specs of Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH that its Memory Type clock is @2133MHz

But would it still support other Types ? like @2400, or other frequencies.

If yes, (how) does it impact the performance ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: DDR4 @2133 vs @2400Mhz for NUC7I3BNH ?
          lw1948

Many times in this forum I saw problem caused by using not compatible system memory. Although this NUC specification calls for using memory with 1866MHz or 2133MHz clock, some memory modules with clock 2400MHz where successfully tested. However using memory with clock 2400MHz will not give you any improvement in performance, since the processor on this Intel® NUC only supports DDR4 speeds up to 2133 MHz, higher-speed SO-DIMMs operate only at the 2133 MHz memory timing. My advice is to buy tested and approved memory modules: System Memory for Intel® NUC Kits NUC7i[x]BN

and CMTL > Search > Tested Motherboard > Results

Regards

Leon

• 2. Re: DDR4 @2133 vs @2400Mhz for NUC7I3BNH ?
            N.Scott.Pearson

No, it is certainly possible to run the memory buses at 2400MHz instead of 2133MHz -- but,

1. The system-level performance improvement garnered by 2400MHz memory over 2133MHz memory is almost inconsequential.
            2. The system-level performance improvement garnered by using 4GB instead of 2GB (or 8GB instead of 4GB or even 16GB instead of 8GB) is absolutely *huge* in comparison.

The problem with running the memory buses at higher frequencies is that noise on the bus can potentially have -- and, over time, as components age and generate more noise, definitely will have -- a far greater negative impact on successful data transmission. The NUC devices are designed and validated for 2133MHz operation; I strongly recommend that you stick with 2133MHz memory.

...S

• 3. Re: DDR4 @2133 vs @2400Mhz for NUC7I3BNH ?
              lw1948

Sorry Scott,

This time I've to disagree with you. According to Intel, the system can't run at 2400MHz. See the Note in the attached image from Intel's data sheet.

An other thing that I disagree is that the larger memory size is installed, the performance will increase. Actually it depends of the application and in most cases increasing from 8GB to 16BG will not result in *huge* difference as you have written. See the this article for better explanation: How Much RAM? 4GB vs. 8GB vs. 16GB Performance > Gaming Performance - TechSpot  and this: How Much RAM? 4GB vs. 8GB vs. 16GB Performance > Hitting the Sweet Spot - TechSpot  . And we are talking here about memory and CPU consuming gaming application. In normal use like MS Office and internet browsing, 16GB will not give any effect.

Significant improvement in performance can be achieved by installing double channel memory modules instead of single channel memory. That means that installing 2 x 4GB instead of 8GB can give improvement in performance up to 50% in gaming application. In Office application the improvement in negligible. And again for better explanation on this issue please read this:Dual-channel vs. Single-channel, does it matter? – The NUC Blog 

Regards

Leon

• 4. Re: DDR4 @2133 vs @2400Mhz for NUC7I3BNH ?
                N.Scott.Pearson

Well, I would have said no chance in he11 of this being the case - and I considered that statement to just to be a documentation error - but I decided to call the team and find out and, when I got their response, headed into the datasheets. It turns out that, for DDR4, this is a limitation of the processors in the Embedded (U) SOC line. The only exception (so far) is Skull Canyon (NUC6i7KYK), but that is because it uses a (non-SOC) processor from the Mobile (HQ) line. So, I stand corrected; 2133MHz *is* both the minimum and the maximum DDR4 speed supported. Faster SO-DIMMs will have their XMP profiles ignored. Somehow I find this incredibly disappointing...

You are right; if it was a blind statement, it is not a *huge* difference. But, when you are specifically comparing it to what you might garner from a slightly faster clock rate (if it was possible - and remember that we are talking performance at the system level), then it *can be* a *huge* difference (it's all in the semantics). You are also right regarding 16GB, the application is going to make all the difference when talking about any performance improvement at this level; under normal circumstances, there is going to be enough memory free that swapping can be avoided (but I still want 32GB in all my machines!)

...S