Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

What is the explanation of the systematic and high usage behaviour of CPU cores with a given software?

AGhal1
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I beg your patience with me being new to having 10 cores in his PC. If it is the usual for some people to have 8, 10, 12, .. cores in their systems, I never had a PC with more than 4 cores. So, again, I really beg your patience while you are going through my scenario.

My scenario is reported through a sequence of three attached figures every of each is a print screen of the CPU cores performance through the Task Manager window. The whole scenario is centred around the CPU cores usage by python.exe (a running program written with Python programming language) through PyCharm (an IDE for developing python projects).

Figure 1:

• The event is: Opening PyCharm.
  • The resulted usage of the 20 logical processors: all of them showed a sudden usage at the same time with a similarity in their behaviours.
  • The questions here:
    • why all the processors were used in executing one program (the PyCharm in our case)?
    • why all the processors showed a similarity in terms of the amount of usage and the timing?

Figure 2:

• The event is: nothing is happening, just one minute after starting the PyCharm program without running any code.
  • The resulted usage of the 20 logical processors: all of them showed low usage.
  • The questions here: not questions, the aim of this figure just to report in-the-middle situation.

Figure 3:

• The event is: running a python code through PyCharm, the size of used data 155 MB, the used libraries are scikit-learn (a machine learning library) and gensim (a topic modelling library), the whole task is to perform a topic modelling inferred from the provided data.
  • The resulted usage of the 20 logical processors: 15 of them were in low usage state, 4 of them were in up-down usage state, and one of them, which is the CPU 18, was in 100% usage all the time until the end of code running event.
  • The questions here:
    • Why every time I run the python code, the CPU 18 usage is 100%?
      • Why full usage?
      • Why specifically CPU 18, not a different one every time?
      • Will I end after one month or year with an affected poor core of my 10 cores?
    • Does CPU 18 represent the same physical core every time I run my PC?

I wish that I could make my scenario clear, and I also wish that I'm not asking about the obvious, at least, for people in my modest knowledge of how CPUs are working. There are two major reasons why I'm asking you and why you would kindly help me: (1) I'm curious to understand such CPU cores behaviours and (2) I'm spending big amount of my budget on such CPU that I wish to be lasted (at least, until I finish my 3 years research project). Thank you in advance, for all your effort, starting from reading this long case, and maybe ending with a possible explanation.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliamus

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Alderasus: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities and for providing those pictures. We will do our best in order to provide the information you are looking for.

To provide the most accurate response to your inquiry, we just wanted to confirm a few details:

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the processor?

Please provide the model of the memory RAM you are using (size, quantity of sticks). You can also see the part number of it on the stick itself.

Are you using a hard drive or SSD? Please provide the model.

Which is the operating system installed on the computer?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Dear Alberto R,

Many thanks for your kind welcoming and the time you are generously giving me. I am sorry for providing a question lacking such important basic information, which are:

• The motherboard model is Alienware 09G12C
  • The processor is the Intel® Core™ i7-6950X Processor Extreme Edition
  • The memory size is 64 GB with speed 2400, the number of used sticks is 4.
  • For my windows and programs files, I used SSD.
  • For my data used in my python code, I used HDD.
  • The operating system is Windows 10.

Sorry again, and thank you in advance for your appreciated explanation.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliasum

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alderasus: You are very welcome. At this point we will do further research on this matter in order to try to provide the details you are requesting. As soon as I get any updates I will post all the information on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to your appreciated help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alderasus: I just wanted to let you know that I just received an update on the research we were doing on this matter, please look for the information below:

Figure 1:

Why all the processors were used in executing one program (the PyCharm in our case)?

The processors use different cores depending on the application. There are multi-thread applications.

Why all the processors showed a similarity in terms of the amount of usage and the timing?

All processors work independently, however, depending on the task/tasks the workload can be distributed along all the cores. This is calculated by the processor and sometimes, depending on the task can use only one core or several cores.

Figure 3:

Why every time I run the python code, the CPU 18 usage is 100%? Why full usage?

That is because of the same reason mentioned previously, the processor will calculate by algorithms if one core can handle the specific task or if it has to be distributed along all other cores.

Why specifically CPU 18, not a different one every time?

This is automatically done by the processor.

Will I end after one month or year with an affected poor core of my 10 cores?

No. This should not affect processor's life span. Intel Processors have been tested under extreme conditions so this should not affect the performance at all.

Does CPU 18 represent the same physical core every time I run my PC?

Yes, that is correct.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Dear Alberto R,

I don't know how could I thank you and your team. You kindly with your patience answered all my questions leaving me without a single question mark but an informative layman. Thank you, thank you very much.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliamus

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alderasus: You are very welcome. We are glad to hear the information provided previously was useful for you.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Dear Alberto R,

I don't know how could I thank you and your team. You kindly with your patience answered all my questions leaving me without a single question mark but an informative layman. Thank you, thank you very much.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliamus

0 Kudos