5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2017 7:41 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC 7i7BNH HDD light always on

SterlingPhoenix

Hi there,

I recently got a NUC 717BNH. Cute little machine! Now when I started playing with it, the blue ring around the front panel seemed like an HDD activity LED. I'm... not 100% sure that's what it was but it was acting like one.

The thing is, now it's always on. Even when there's no drive installed. I know this is a bit of a silly thing to be concerned about, but...

I dd update to the latest BIOS (0050) if that matters.

• 1. Re: NUC 7i7BNH HDD light always on
          N.Scott.Pearson

The NUC7i3BNK, NUC7i3BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i5BNH, NUC7i7BNH and NUC6CAYH NUCs all have support for the user controlling how the Ring and Power Button LEDs are used. Each can be individually configured to be a power state indicator or a SSD/SSHD/HDD activity indicator. Alternatively, you can configure one or both for manual control and then control their state from a Windows- or Linux-based ACPI application (in Windows, you can also program them through WMI).

In order to configure how the LEDs are used, you need to go into BIOS Setup program, Visual BIOS, typically by pressing the F2 key during BIOS POST. The configuration parameters are accessed by selecting Advanced and then Power. The parameters can be found in the Secondary Power Settings window on the right-hand side of the screen. First, pick your choice for the Button LED using the selection box choices: Power State Indicator, HDD Activity LED or SW Control. When you do so, any related configuration parameters (Brightness, Color, Blinking/Fade, etc.) will appear below this parameter. Next, pick your choice for the Ring LED using the selection box choices. Again, any related configuration parameters will appear below this parameter.

Once you are done making changes to these (and any other) parameters, exit from Visual BIOS saving the current configuration. You can do this by clicking on the X in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and then selecting Yes or by hitting the F10 key and then the 'Y' key.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Yes, unfortunately, it is possible that the configuration for the LEDs could be changed during the BIOS update process. It isn't supposed to happen, but...

• 2. Re: NUC 7i7BNH HDD light always on
            SterlingPhoenix

And here I thought I've looked though all the menus in the BIOS :-) thanks!

• 3. Re: NUC 7i7BNH HDD light always on
              N.Scott.Pearson

No problem; that's why I am here.

Personally, I find that using the Ring LED as the HDD activity indicator is way, way too distracting. Instead, I use it as my power state indicator (and I turn the brightness way down). I then use the Power Button LED as my HDD activity indicator (also with the brightness turned way down).

...S

• 4. Re: NUC 7i7BNH HDD light always on
                SterlingPhoenix

Oh, I'm very glad to know those are options. First time I saw the HDD "ring" blink I was thinking "That might end up being annoying..." and I'm glad I don't have to go in there and yank a wire! (:

• 5. Re: NUC 7i7BNH HDD light always on
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Actually, you can just unplug it...