Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

e1000e: eth0 NIC Link is Down

DBron3
Beginner

Hoping someone can help.

Recently upgraded a server running Xen from 3.18.44-20.el6.x86_64 to 4.9.39-29.el6.x86_64 (did a yum update so other packages would have been updated to).

Since rebooting, we randomly get "e1000e: eth0 NIC Link is Down", this happens for only a second, but since we have this interface bonded it can be enough for it to bring down the interface fail over, and then come back again, which causes packet loss.

If tried turning pcie_aspm off, flow control off, nothing seems to help. The problem seems to be worse when high traffic is being used, but also happens randomly as well.

NIC Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit on a Supermicro box. Driver 3.2.6-k

Have now upgraded to 3.3.5.10, the problem seems to be happening a lot less often, but I'm not sure if its a coincidence.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Dan223,

Thank you for posting at Wired Communities. What is the exact model of your Supermicro box? Where did you download the driver version 3.2.6-K and 3.3.5.10?

As this is an onboard NIC, have you contacting the Supermicro support for the driver? Please feel free to update me.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
DBron3
Beginner

3.2.6-K Came from centos provides kernel the 3.3.5.10 came from intel source forge

The motherboard is X9DRL-3F/iF

I will try contacting supermicro also but hoping you might be able to help as this seems to be only since the upgrade.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan223,

Thank you for the information. I will try check and for the meantime, please do contact Supermicro and update me if there is any result. Thanks.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan223,

Just to double check is there any changes done on the system prior to experiencing the link down issue? Have you contacted Supermicro* and any updates?

Thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
DBron3
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

As stated in my initial message, we ran yum update which updated the kernel as well as other packages (which in turn also provided a new version of the driver from centos than we were using previously)

Supermicro have just requested further information on there replies but that is all. Upon further research I found some mentions of using IntMode=1,1 I set this in modprobe.d and restarted the network, it has since been stable.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan223,

Thank you for the update and clarification. Please help monitor the status and do feel free to update me. Thank you.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan223,

Please feel free to update me if further assistance needed. Thanks.

Regards,

sharon
0 Kudos
DBron3
Beginner

The issue has been fine since this change was made.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan223,

Thank you for the update. Glad to know it is working fine.

Regards,

sharon

0 Kudos