6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2017 10:52 AM by Intel Corporation

Black screen with Intel Graphics Driver [15.40] on Windows 10

telly23

Hi, I've been trying to make my Intel HD Graphics 4440 on Windows 10 for the last day.

Here is the link to the driver I tried to install: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

I have a HP Elitebook 840 G1, with an Intel HD Graphics 4440 and a AMD Radeon HD 8750M

I've formatted my PC, and I chose to install Windows 10 on it (I was previously using Windows 7 without any problems)

The installation goes fine, but as soon as the Intel driver is installed, the screen goes black and never turn on again, not even on reboot.

The only solution to make the screen come back is for me to boot in safe mode and uninstall the Intel drivers.

The problem is that Windows reinstall the driver as soon as it can via windows Update, and as soon as this happens, immediate black screen.

The only way I found to stop windows from downloading the driver is to disable the wifi. So I'm currently stuck with a PC without any internet access.

I've tried to install the drivers via the .exe, via the .zip and via the device manager, every time the result is the same: Immediate black screen.

I also tried to update the BIOS. The only thing I have not tried is to plug the display port, but I have no adapter on hand to try.

I've been searching online for the past day for a solution, so far nothing worked. Am I the only one with this problem? Do any of you have a solution?

• 1. Re: Black screen with Intel Graphics Driver [15.40] on Windows 10
          N.Scott.Pearson

In many laptops that also have AMD/NVIDIA graphics, the output from this graphics solution is routed out through the Intel graphics. To deliver support for this (switchable) configuration, the manufacturer had to develop a custom version of the intel HD Graphics driver that included the modification necessary. If your notebook is configured this way, you cannot use the generic Intel HD Graphics driver package; you must get a customized version from HP. If they don't provide one for Windows 10, you may be out of luck...

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Black screen with Intel Graphics Driver [15.40] on Windows 10
            Sharam

I have exactly the same problem with intel graphics hd 4000 except I get blue screen in the end saying stop code VIDEO TDR FAILURE what failed :igdkm64.sys and the only way I can use windows i need to go to safe mode and uninstall or disab the intel graphics hd 4000 driver so I can use windows normally HELP Please

• 3. Re: Black screen with Intel Graphics Driver [15.40] on Windows 10
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello telly23,

I understand you are getting a black screen after the Intel graphics driver gets installed in your HP* computer.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

I would like you to try updating some of the computer drivers in a specific order.

Please install this driver first, and then restart the computer http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78501-79000/sp78724.exe

Install this other driver, and then restart the computer one more time http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79059.exe

Please uninstall AMD* graphics driver from Device Manager.  In order for you to uninstall the driver on the keyboard press WinLogo key + r, then type in devmgmt.msc, double click on Display Adapters -> AMD* graphics controller  -> Driver tab -> Uninstall -> Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device -> OK, and then restart the computer.

The Intel customized graphics driver needs to be installed first.  You can download it and install it from this link http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79336.exe

Restart the computer, and then reinstall AMD* graphics driver that is on this other link http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79501-80000/sp79527.exe

Let me know if issue persists or not.

Regards,
              Fred D.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Black screen with Intel Graphics Driver [15.40] on Windows 10
                Intel Corporation

Hello Sharam,

Thank you for joining the thread. I am sorry to hear you are also having issues after installing Intel graphics driver.

In order to assist you better with the specific problem you are having in your computer I recommend creating a new thread.  Please make sure you add all of the details of your computer so we can get more information about the problem.

Please attach to your new thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click “Use Advanced Editor” on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the “attach” option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,
                Fred D.

• 5. Re: Black screen with Intel Graphics Driver [15.40] on Windows 10
                  telly23

Well, I think I witnessed computer magic today...

The problem is now fixed, I have no idea why but at least the screen works again.

I don't know if the update windows did yesterday while I was trying to fix thing on a secondary screen fixed it, or the quick look I had inside the computer moved some part...

The only indication I have is that the computer did not go to sleep when I close the lid, my theory is that the lid detector is somewhat faulty and that it was stuck in the close position, disconnecting the screen. I have no idea if this is the problem but if it is it seems I unstuck it. The PC still refuse to go to sleep when I close it but at least it's stuck in the open position now.

Thank you for your help, I marked the official Intel answer as the solution, as it's likely it will fix the problem for anyone searching the forum with the same question as mine.

• 6. Re: Black screen with Intel Graphics Driver [15.40] on Windows 10
                    Intel Corporation

Hello telly23,

I am glad to hear the issue has been fixed.  Do not hesitate to contact us back if you have any other inquiry.

Regards,
                    Fred D.