6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2017 7:22 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

DH61DL question

scarfman4

The DH61DL motherboard says after a certain BIOS revision that it will work with Ivy Bridge processors.  All of the ones we have are using the latest BIOS (version 120, the latest from Intel's site).  If I put an i3-3220 in one of these motherboards with DDR3-1600 RAM will the board use the memory at the faster speed or will it still limit it to DDR3-1333 speeds?

• 1. Re: DH61DL question
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello scarfman4,

Thank you for joining the Desktop Boards community.

The memory should work at the speed of 1600, this based on the fact that the processor and the motherboard support this type of memory. Find the memory types supported here: Intel® Desktop Board DH61DL Product Specifications and here: Intel® Core™ i3-3220 Processor (3M Cache, 3.30 GHz) Product Specifications 

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

• 2. Re: DH61DL question
            N.Scott.Pearson

Actually, unless you made a change in the BIOS configuration, 1600 memory is going to run at 1600 with both the 2nd generation and 3rd generation processors. This is completely independent of the processor generation...

...S

• 3. Re: DH61DL question
              scarfman4

I've put 1600mhz memory in several of these boards with Sandy Bridge processors, and all tests show that the RAM gets reduced down to 1333mhz.  Memtest86+ shows it running that speed and so does CPU-Z.

Here's a CPU-Z report log of a DH61DL mobo with an i3-2100 CPU in it and some Hynix DDR3-1600 RAM.  It says Memory Frequency is 665mhz, whereas if it runs full speed it should say 800mhz.:

Chipset

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge Intel Sandy Bridge rev. 09

Southbridge Intel H61 rev. B3

Memory Type DDR3

Memory Size 4 GBytes

Channels Dual

Memory Frequency 665.1 MHz (1:5)

CAS# latency (CL) 9.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 9

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 9

Cycle Time (tRAS) 24

Command Rate (CR) 1T

Host Bridge 0x0100

MCHBAR I/O Base address 0x0FED10000

MCHBAR I/O Size 19456

MCHBAR registers

Memory SPD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM # 1

SMBus address 0x50

Memory type DDR3

Module format UDIMM

Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (AD000000000000000000)

Size 2048 MBytes

Max bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz)

Part number HMT325U6CFR8C-PB 

Serial number 0132FC82

Manufacturing date Week 30/Year 12

Number of banks 8

Nominal Voltage 1.50 Volts

EPP no

XMP no

AMP no

JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency

JEDEC #1 6.0-6-6-16-22 @ 457 MHz

JEDEC #2 7.0-7-7-19-26 @ 533 MHz

JEDEC #3 8.0-8-8-22-30 @ 609 MHz

JEDEC #4 9.0-9-9-24-33 @ 685 MHz

JEDEC #5 10.0-10-10-27-37 @ 761 MHz

JEDEC #6 11.0-11-11-28-39 @ 800 MHz

Looking at the specifications in the previous post it does say "1600 O.C.", so it looks like it should.  Guess it will be trial and error.

• 4. Re: DH61DL question
                N.Scott.Pearson

If you have the memory configured for automatic in the BIOS and it end up not running the highest XMP profile, then the BIOS discovered that the combination of processor, board and memory could not sustain the settings in this profile. In this case, yes, it is going to back off to the default (1333). Any one of these entities may be responsible for this issue, but I rather doubt it is the processor. In this case, I would consider it likely that the same thing will happen with the 3rd generation processor - but it is true that the 3rd generation processors handled 1600 slightly better than 2nd generation, so you never know. Nothing you can do but try it and find out. Worst that will happen is it will stay at the same speed. Either way, this would still represent a performance upgrade...

...S

• 5. Re: DH61DL question
                  scarfman4

I went into the BIOS and found the settings to override the memory speed.  It shows default already as set to 1600, but it's showing Active still at 1333.  I tried going into "Memory Overrides" section and forced the speed to 1600, then rebooted and it still only shows it running at 1333.  Memtest86+ also confirms this.

So it is capable of running 1600, but the Sandy Bridge CPU won't let it use it since it doesn't support it.

• 6. Re: DH61DL question
                    N.Scott.Pearson

No, most Sandy Bridge processors supports 1600 just fine. Intel just doesn't officially claim that it supports it (and states that, technically, it is considered overclocking to run memory beyond 1333). I have multiple PCs with Sandy Bridge processors that are running at 1600 without issue.

In your case, if the default is to run at 1600 but you find that it is running at only 1333, this is an indication that the BIOS caught that this system -- this combination of board, processor and DIMMs -- cannot support 1600. You could insert a different set of DIMMs and see it work at 1600 just fine.

...S