5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2017 7:12 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

DQ57TM revision question

scarfman4

We have some systems that use DQ57TM motherboards.  One is AAE70931-303, some are -400 and some are -401.

Is there anything out there that explains what was changed or fixed between revisions?  The reason I ask is the -303 board is having random BSOD Memory_Management issues using two Kingston 2GB RAM sticks (Kingston part# 9905458-012.A00LF).  The systems that are -400 and -401 don't have issues with that model of RAM, and I moved the ones from the -303 board to a completely different system and they work fine.

Was there something changed between the -303 revision and the -400 revision that stabilizes RAM?  I'm trying to determine if the board is bad or if it was just RAM incompatibilty.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: DQ57TM revision question
          N.Scott.Pearson

Jeff,

Intel doesn't normally release information regarding hardware changes from one board revision to another. Speculating, when it comes to memory -- and presuming that the same BIOS version (and thus the same Memory Reference Code) is being used -- three possibilities come to mind:

1. Amount of power provided to DIMMs.
          2. Quality of power provided to DIMMs.
          3. Quality of signal management (bus termination, etc.) used on the memory busses.

If you are running with four DIMMs populated, try running with only two DIMMs populated and try using these DIMMs in first the (blue) DIMM0 sockets, second the (black) DIMM1 sockets, third the ChannelA sockets and fourth the ChannelB sockets. Which combinations work and which combinations don't?

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: DQ57TM revision question
            scarfman4

They were only using the two blue slots.  I never had all four slots occupied at one time.

Looking between the boards the only difference I could even spot is two of the capacitors surrounding the PCIe slots are different brands.  I couldn't find anything else.

I don't have the original RAM anymore, and the RAM that's in there now is a single-stick of Spectek 4GB RAM.  I haven't been able to reproduce the issue with that one but all tests with memtest86+ running at least 10 passes or more are working.  So I will keep my fingers crossed.

• 3. Re: DQ57TM revision question
              N.Scott.Pearson

Let us know what happens. If you have the time, run MemTest86+ with this DIMM in each of the four sockets and see if there are any failures. This will tell you whether it is a board-related issue as opposed to a board revision-related issue...

...S

• 4. Re: DQ57TM revision question
                scarfman4

I ran Memtest86+ with the memory only in blue slot 1 overnight.  It ran for 20 passes and never errored out.  So I ran it in blue slot 2 over the weekend.  It ran over 80+ passes and never errored out. The black slots were never used in the past so there's no reason to test them.

It's a hard one to test because the last time the BSOD happened the system went for 2 months without a blue screen then had three in the same day.

I'm leaning on the side it was the Kingston memory sticks that were the problem.  The model I listed above have had issues with some other systems as well causing reboots and freezes (I've tried them in some Lenovo systems as well).  I put them in a system with a DH61DL motherboard and have no issues.  However the DH61DL board has the 820uf capacitor added so it might be stabilizing them, whereas the DQ57TM doesn't.

• 5. Re: DQ57TM revision question
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Jeff,

Two comments:

1. MemTest86 and MemTest86+ are not infallible. I have a known-bad DIMM that always passes these tests with flying colors.
                  2. Just saying; there is a very good reason why I have stuck with Crucial memory.

...S