6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2017 11:41 AM by N.Scott.Pearson

Bios Question

Cr@ig

I currently purchased a Desktop Board DB75EN.

I Have Dual Boot UEFI Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro.

I recently updated the bios and now windows seven when selected boots to the start up screen and then the keyboard stops responding and it continuously stays on that screen.

If I go into the bios I can select legacy and it will boot into Windows 7. I have tried start up repair on both OS's they I have completed the repairs. Then the system reboots.

Then if I select UEFI and disable the legacy  (the reason I disable legacy is as the boot screen appears it does not scale correctly on boot).

Short of re- installing Windows 7 I was trying to find out if I can revert to my previous Bios... I could not find anything for or against trying this with

• 1. Re: Bios Question
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Desktop Boards communities. We will do our best in order to provide the information you are looking for.

In order to downgrade the BIOS of the board to a previous version, we can use the F7 method described on the link below:
          https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html
          On the following link please look for “Any Download Type” tab, then choose BIOS to see all the versions available for this motherboard. Once you find the proper version, select it and then look for the .BIO file needed to use the method mentioned above:
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59043/Intel-Desktop-Board-DB75EN

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bios Question
            N.Scott.Pearson

Craig,

It is more likely that you will need to use the Recovery Method to do this downgrade. This is documented here: Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions. You likely are experienced with this process if you successfully upgraded the BIOS this far...

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Bios Question
              Cr@ig

Thanks for the quick reply, I feel confident now that the rollback wont render the board useless

• 4. Re: Bios Question
                N.Scott.Pearson

I hate to say it and I really don't want to scare you, but no, we didn't say that. Unfortunately, the Management Engine (ME) firmware (which is also included in the BIOS update packages) can only be downgraded so far. If you try to downgrade beyond that point, the BIOS will be downgraded but the ME firmware will not. Thus, the possibility exists that you could end up with a BIOS that is incompatible with the ME firmware that is present. This only very, very rarely happens, but it is a possibility.

The only way that we can give you a more-confident answer is if you tell us the two BIOS versions that you are talking about. We can look at the BIOS release notes and check the differences between the two and see if this could occur.

...S

• 5. Re: Bios Question
                  Cr@ig

Hi, The original firmware was 41 and i upgraded to the latest 46. I tried to use the recovery method you suggested for downgrading but it did nothing.

I then used boot into the bios F7 and the result was that I had successfully upgraded.

When booting F2  I checked UEFI and disabled Legacy it booted but didn't recognise my graphics card.

So know it has the original 41 bios that only functions in Legacy mode.

I Rufus installed Windows 7 UEFI and then installed Windows 8.1 so I'm baffled as to why legacy mode has anything to do with it.

I thought seeing I had 3RD Gen CPU, SSD and 10 series GTX card that it might benefit by upgrading the BIOS... HMMM I shouldn't assume .

Thanks for the correspondence its very much appreciated.

Regards, Craig

• 6. Re: Bios Question
                    N.Scott.Pearson

So, first of all, the ME firmware was updated after BIOS 41. There weren't any interface issues that might affect interoperability, however, so the two (BIOS 41 and the 1333 ME F/W) should get along just fine.

The Recovery process should have worked. My addendum to Intel's instructions include the following:

1. Use a USB 2.0 flash stick; do not use USB 3.0 flash sticks.
                    2. Reformat the flash stick using the FAT32 file system. Do this (again), even if you think the flash stick is already formatted this way. Put only the .BIO file for the version you want on this flash stick.
                    3. Plug this flash stick into a (black) USB 2.0 port on the rear panel of the board. Do not use any of the (blue) USB 3.0 ports. Do not use front panel USB ports, regardless of type.
                    4. When you power on, you should see it start the recovery update process automatically. Progress should be displayed onscreen. If you do not see any display, wait at least 10 minutes before powering back off (doing so immediately could brick your system if the update is actually happening without an onscreen display).
                    5. After it completes successfully, regardless of whether this was an upgrade or a downgrade, you should immediately use F2 to go into BIOS Setup. Once there, reset the BIOS configuration to defaults (press F9 followed by 'Y') and then reboot with a BIOS configuration save (press F10 followed by 'Y'). In the reboot, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup again. Now make any changes that absolutely matter to your system configuration (i.e. UEFI setting, Boot Order, NUMLOCK off, etc.). Reboot with a BIOS configuration save.

Many newer graphics cards have compatibility issues with the BIOSs used on Intel's Desktop Board products. In some cases, the graphics cards don't provide a Legacy Video BIOS (extension) and thus the graphics card doesn't initialize until Windows (or Linux) starts up. In other cases, their Video BIOS is simply incompatible (I think the BIOS is confused by some of the combined UEFI and Legacy Video BIOSs provided by these cards (simply because UEFI has evolved since these boards were released)). For these cases, you need to enable UEFI to support them. Unfortunately, there are also boards whose Video BIOS is incompatible regardless of mode and you will not get it to work (boot) at all.

Hope this helps,

...S