1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2017 8:53 AM by FGT

Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP

ryanrw

I have a Gen 1 board that will run the sd card linux ver 1.0.4 but it fails to run the newer 1.0.8 or the latest 1.1.1 image.

Link to intel images is here:Download Intel® Galileo - Board Support Package

Note the older images are mentioned at the bottom. Has anyone got a later version to run on a gen 1 board?

I am using the script from the sparkfun page to create a serial interface via true term (like putty) which works fine with 1.0.4 but all later versions yield a unresponsive terminal window.

sparkfun script for arduino ide:

void setup()

{

system("cp /etc/inittab /etc/inittab.bak");  // Back up inittab

// Replace all "S:2345" with "S0:2345"'s (switching serial ports):

system("sed -i 's/S:2345/S0:2345/g' /etc/inittab");

// Replace all "ttyS1" with "ttyGS0"'s (switching serial ports):

system("sed -i 's/ttyS1/ttyGS0/g' /etc/inittab");

// Replace all "grst" with "#grst"'s to comment that line out:

system("sed -i 's/grst/#grst/g' /etc/inittab");

// Replace all "clld" with "#clld"'s to comment that line out:

system("sed -i 's/clld/#clld/g' /etc/inittab");

system("kill -SIGHUP 1");

}

void loop()

{

}

• 1. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
          FGT

Hi ryanrw,

I think this may be related to the warning in the sparkfun page...

One warning here: this sketch does mess with some of the basic workings of the Galileo.

so maybe the newer yocto versions have changed some of those "basic workings" and the sketch does not work anymore... btw, do you have the link to the doc-22226 referred to in the sparkfun page?

I'd suggest you directly use a telnet connection to your Intel Galileo by using the Ethernet interface and an Ethernet cable, such as explained at Using Galileo Linux over Ethernet(Telnet). If you have trouble with the telnet connection just let me know.

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
            ryanrw

Thanks, I'll have to wait till the weekend to have the time to try.  I would still like to know if anyone from Intel can confirm the 1.0.8 or 1.1.1 versions are even gen 1 compatible? 

I found this link: Official Intel SD card image https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22226 but it didn't work for me. broken link?

My understanding of the sparkfun page script warning is that while in use, one can't upload any other sketches. 

• 3. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
              FGT

Thanks, I'll have to wait till the weekend to have the time to try. I would still like to know if anyone from Intel can confirm the 1.0.8 or 1.1.1 versions are even gen 1 compatible?

Maybe the Intel people would know better... at Download Intel® Galileo - Board Support Package (where 1.1.1 and 1.0.4 are also available):

"

This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.

"

ryanrw wrote:

I found this link: Official Intel SD card image https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22226 but it didn't work for me. broken link?

Broken...

ryanrw wrote:

My understanding of the sparkfun page script warning is that while in use, one can't upload any other sketches.

Maybe, maybe not... while it is true it is not possible to upload any other sketches while the serial is redirected, I think the warning refers to that changing inittab and restarting the init process it far from being the "standard tasks" you do, I read that warning as "don't mess up with basic OS processes".

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi ryanrw,

Thanks for contacting us.

As FGT has previously confirmed, the Intel Galileo – Board Support Package version 1.1.1 is compatible with the Intel Galileo Gen 1, in addition to what FGT has posted, you can take a look at the “Detail Description” which states the following:

“This Board Support Package (BSP) contains release version 1.1.1 for the Intel® Galileo Board and Intel® Galileo Gen 2 Board.”

Regarding the link for the official Intel SD card you can download Galileo software directly from the Download Center, however, it is undergoing maintenance and some links may be broken during this time. Our apologies for any inconvenience it may cause.

Regards,
                -Yermi  

• 5. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                  ryanrw

Thanks, I read the original notes when I posted the same link you did to version 1.1.1.  I guess I should have repeated my original question "Has anyone got a later version to run on a gen 1 board?". Later than 1.0.4.   I get that it is stated in writing that it is compatible, but I was hoping there was a forum member or intel employee who had first hand (or even 2nd hand) knowledge that it actually will run on a Gen 1 board. The cited documentation can be wrong, or incomplete.  If the answer is no one here knows, then so be it. 

I would like to make sure the build is viable before I before start on trying to get the telnet/ethernet method to work. None of my laptops have an ethernet port but I do have a usb2.0 to ethernet adapter and further complicated by either using a chromebook or a windows 10 laptop running a 32 bit version of windows 10.

I also looked at this thread:Image named iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-galileo-20160606 is not there

Most of the links in  this post are broken as well. The poster claims to have gotten 1.0.4 version to run (as have I) but apparently had not tried any newer than that on the gen 1.  Apparently back in Sep 2016 a lot more versions were available from the Intel site,   I am not sure why Intel is dumping version 1.0.0, 1.0.3, and 1.0.8 (which I downloaded two days ago....) and keeping only 1.0.4 and 1.1.1. 

• 6. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi ryanrw,

I would like to let you know that I have installed the latest Galileo image (version 1.1.1) in a Galileo Gen 1, and I can confirm you that it is compatible. Please take a look at the steps I followed:

gal.png
                    Regarding the broken links, it may be due to the maintenance of the Download Center, hopefully the other images are going to be included as well and the links fixed.

Hope you find this information useful.

Regards,
                    Yermi

• 7. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                      ryanrw

Ok I used the SD image that ends in tar.bz2 not the zip. Does it make a difference?

Meanwhile...

I have reverted back to my 1.0.4 image because I know it works.  In order to get the telnet ethernet connection to work I need some help with that since the sparkfun code is suspect for later versions.   I typed the sketch exactly the way it is shown in the arduino ide, compiled the sketch (good), but when I upload it says Got Timeout...Transfer incomplete.  Using Galileo Linux over Ethernet(Telnet)

• 8. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                        FGT

ryanrw wrote:

I typed the sketch exactly the way it is shown in the arduino ide, compiled the sketch (good), but when I upload it says Got Timeout...Transfer incomplete. Using Galileo Linux over Ethernet(Telnet)

The incomplete transfer is a problem of the USB connection, it is not related to the specific sketch you are using. Please try uploading the blink sketch. if the blink sketch works then you should be able to upload the telnet sketch too. Take into account that the IP hardcoded in the sketch should be in the same LAN as your Ethernet connection.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 9. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                          ryanrw

I can get blink to run with SD card removed. With SD 1.0.4 inserted, blink will not run, but if I open true term (no lan, using sparkfun method, but not running the sparkfun sketch) I can get a terminal window to open and it took a python command (so I know its running off the SD card). I thought the sparkfun method had to be run each time you turned off the card, but not it works all the time. Weird. 

Also I don't understand how to do this part "Take into account that the IP hardcoded in the sketch should be in the same LAN as your Ethernet connection."  The linked steps are pretty sketchy.  How do I tell what IP address to put in the sketch?  Also I have my laptop running with wifi, will that screw up the addressing?

• 10. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                            ryanrw

Will the ethernet telnet method work without an sd card inserted?  Using Galileo Linux over Ethernet(Telnet)

• 11. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                              FGT

ryanrw wrote:

I can get blink to run with SD card removed. With SD 1.0.4 inserted, blink will not run, but if I open true term (no lan, using sparkfun method, but not running the sparkfun sketch) I can get a terminal window to open and it took a python command (so I know its running off the SD card). I thought the sparkfun method had to be run each time you turned off the card, but not it works all the time. Weird.

Also I don't understand how to do this part "Take into account that the IP hardcoded in the sketch should be in the same LAN as your Ethernet connection." The linked steps are pretty sketchy. How do I tell what IP address to put in the sketch? Also I have my laptop running with wifi, will that screw up the addressing?

If the Intel Galileo boots from the SD, then the sketch is persistent... and that's why you need to run

rm /sketch/sketch.elf
                              cp /etc/inittab.bak /etc/inittab
                              kill -SIGHUP

in the terminal, otherwise you'll never have the serial connection again in case you need it for uploading another sketch. I you forget to run those commands in the linu terminal, then you should write the original image in the SD again (to start with a "clean" yocto linux).

IIUC, your current setting is

laptop (though wifi) <==> router <==> (through ethernet cable) Intel Galileo

then get the IP address of your laptop (if you don't know how, just let me know the OS you are using), and let's say it is 192.168.1.55, then you should use an IP like 192.168.1.70 (identical three first numbers, change the fourth one), which in the sketch would look like

system("ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.70 netmask 255.255.255.0 up");

once you upload the skech, you should be able to connect to the Intel Galileo using telnet 192.168.1.70 from your laptop (maybe using something like putty).

HTH,

Fernando.

• 12. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                                FGT

ryanrw wrote:

Will the ethernet telnet method work without an sd card inserted? Using Galileo Linux over Ethernet(Telnet)

IIRC I've successfully used it without the SD,

Fernando.

• 13. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                                  ryanrw

ok , i ran the commands and killed the serial terminal enabled by sparkfun code.  However when I shut down and rebooted everything (except PC) I was not able to get blink to work.  The arduino IDE reports no errors on sketch transfer, but the light does not blink.  Still using sd 1.0.4

I think what I should do is pull sd card and start over with ethernet telnet technique (with no SD card), but I still do not understand how to program the ip addresses,  My set up is galileo plugged into ethernet port on either a old macbook (running lion) with wifi connection or connected to my pc with wifi connection running but connect o galileo using a usb to ethernet adapter.

• 14. Re: Galileo gen 1 won't take sd card linux version from BSP
                                    ryanrw

ok, pulled the SD card, and not sure exactly what I did , but I got a telnet between galileo and PC (no SD card).  I will now try and burn a new 1.1.1 SD card and see if I can still establish a telnet.  Progress, but I had better not quit my day job...

1 2 Previous Next