8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2017 9:00 AM by Speedfly

UEFI and PXE/WDS for 7th Gen NUC Non-functional

Tyson.Korhonen

So this was mentioned in another discussion that was marked as answered but looks to have just been abandoned by the original poster (Thread 115121).  I am seeing UEFI PXE boot problems on the 7th gen nucs similar to what was mentioned in that thread.  We have 50+ of each of the following NUC models...D34010WYK, NUC5i3RYK, NUC6i5SYK.  All of them transitioned fairly well from Legacy PXE Boot to UEFI PXE Boot (Some did need BIOS updates but that is to be expected).  However our newest stock of NUC7i5BNK's will not boot to PXE in UEFI (BIOS updated and all).  The options exist in the BIOS options and the device recognizes and serves up the option to network boot.  Selecting the IPv4 boot option event initiates the process and sees the network (Media detected message), but it wont go any further.  I can even flip the device to non-secure boot non-UEFI, and PXE boot the device perfectly fine using Legacy network boot.  I would REALLY prefer to move forward and not build the newest NUCs in legacy mode while all the older model NUCs transition over to UEFI and secure boot.

• 1. Re: UEFI and PXE/WDS for 7th Gen NUC Non-functional
          N.Scott.Pearson

Intel Customer Support will need to follow-up on this, but my understanding is that the BN NUC's have PXE support for only Legacy boot. Why UEFI boot was supported in previous generations but dropped in this latest (BN) generation is a mystery to me.

...S

• 2. Re: UEFI and PXE/WDS for 7th Gen NUC Non-functional
            Tyson.Korhonen

Ah, I misunderstood the last thread.  So sometime between UEFI Network Driver: 9.0.1045 (the latest network driver on the 6th gen NUCs) and 9.0.1056 (the oldest network driver I could roll back to on the 7th gen NUCs) for the I219-V network adapter, PXE boot stopped working.  However this isn't a supported feature, so chances aren't good it will be addressed?... that would be a bummer

• 3. Re: UEFI and PXE/WDS for 7th Gen NUC Non-functional
              Tyson.Korhonen

Ah correction, the above are the UEFI Video ROM drivers....

Last network ROM drivers on 6th gen were : LAN Option ROM: 0.1.04

The 7th gen lists 2 separate items : "Option ROM: v0.1.10 PXE-2.1 (build 092) and UEFI Driver: 0.0.15"

• 4. Re: UEFI and PXE/WDS for 7th Gen NUC Non-functional
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you to for the comments posted above.

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities. We will try our best in order to provide the answer you are looking for.

In order to confirm the information posted previously, I will do further research on this matter. As soon as I gather all the details I will post the resolution on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: UEFI and PXE/WDS for 7th Gen NUC Non-functional
                  rguevara

Hi Tyson.Korhonen,

We have validated the PXE boot functionality successfully connected to the PXE server to load the Operating System

The only thing that is really different between Legacy and UEFI, is that Legacy will prompt you to press F12 to accept the network boot, but UEFI will not. You just have to “mash it” to accept the request. Similar to how you would get into the boot menu with F10.

See below some images we captured during testing:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I hope this helps,

Ronny G

• 6. Re: UEFI and PXE/WDS for 7th Gen NUC Non-functional
                    Tyson.Korhonen

Hi Ronny,

Thank you for running that test!  Can you confirm the BIOS version you are on?  Is that configuration with DHCP on the same PXE server?  If DHCP isn't on the PXE server, are you using a Helper IP for PXE or DHCP Option settings? 

I've see the invisible 'press F12 to accept network boot' after the 'Succeed to download NBP File' on some of our older NUCs as well.  Stumbled onto that solution fairly randomly actually hehe.  On the 7i5BNK's though I can't get even get to the download NBP file screen. 

This does make me want to fire up wireshark and investigate the network traffic.  We run DHCP and PXE/WDS on separate servers using Microsoft's supported helper IP configuration on the subnets (2 helpers 1 for DHCP 1 for PXE).  I have another PXE/WDS server that also does DHCP for a little sandbox subnet.  I'll give one of the 7th gens a run on that one and see if the problem maybe falls onto the NUC not correctly interpreting the router's helper IP responses in our production environment.

• 7. Re: UEFI and PXE/WDS for 7th Gen NUC Non-functional
                      slb

We are experiencing the same issue. We can do legacy pxe boot with NUC 7i3BNH, but uefi pxe boot is not working. We installed the latest bios update, but that doesn't help. Other devices can do uefi pxe boot. There is definitely something wrong with the uefi pxe boot function of this type of NUC's...

Did anyone solve this?

• 8. Re: UEFI and PXE/WDS for 7th Gen NUC Non-functional
                        Speedfly

Hi,

We have the exact same problem. Latest BIOS, latest version of WDS running on W 2012 R2 and also 2016...Same problem.
                        Booting Legacy we can see the "Press Enter", Booting UEFI we cannot.

Any news?