13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 1:31 PM by lw1948

NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously

ted.m.h

I've had the system for 4 months and it works great for the most part but recently it started rebooting itself randomly--at least a couple times a day.  I ran a windows memory test and the test said I have a memory problem that should be addressed by the manufacturer. 

Before I pursue that I thought it would make sense to try to update all the drivers and BIOS. It looks like most drivers and the bios all have updates since I bought the system in April 2017.  I downloaded the driver bundle and found on-line the recommendations to do the updates manually instead of using the Intel Driver Update Utility.  I'm about to get started but since I'm not a hardware/BIOS/Drivers expert I thought I post a question: 

Is my approach here the right one?  That is, to update everything before trying to get the memory vendor to replace the memory?  Or is this just a waste of time?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
          lw1948

Updating all drivers manually is good approach and shall not make any thing worst, but still is you have memory problem, driver updating will not help.  I will try to check the memory module. If you have two memory modules installed, Try using just one memory module at a time, swapping it between the upper and lower memory slots. Is not likely that both memory modules failed in the same time.

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
            ted.m.h

What a great and simple idea...  I'll give that a try and post what I find.  Many thanks.

• 3. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
              ted.m.h

So I removed one of the two 16GB memory modules and the system is working perfectly.  No reboots.  I'm almost tempted to leave it at that!  But when time permits I'll swap out the memory modules. 

My guess is that the second module is the problem and trying to run the system with it should prove that.  Then I'll pursue a warranty exchange for the bad module.  Will post results when I have them.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

• 4. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
                lw1948

I'm glad that the system is working, however you shall verify that the problem is in memory and not in NUC. Since you have removed one memory module, and you didn't check yet that the other memory slot is OK, still there is a low possibility for problem in the second memory slot. So, better check that the "good" module is working also in the second slot.

Even though  the problem is in one memory module, you should ask for replacing the both modules (the bad and the working). You have purchased the memory modules as a kit of 2. The modules are paired in factory to have both the same characteristics in order to work in your NUC in dual channel mode. If you will replace only one module (even with the same P/N), there is a chance that it will have slightly different characteristics  from the other module and your NUC will work in single channel mode and therefore your NUC will significantly decrease its performance.

Regards

Leon

• 5. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
                  ted.m.h

I was able to confirm that one of the memory modules is bad and the other is good.  After testing the first module and finding no problems with it I swapped it out and replaced it with the other module.  I booted the system and it crashed immediately.  This happened several times.  I couldn't even get the system to stay up long enough to run the windows memory diagnostics tool.  So I put the first module back in and I'm up and running again.

I tried to get warranty service from the system seller--an outfit called e Retailers through Amazon marketplace.  They told me I had to work with the memory manufacturer. So I tried to get warranty service from Crucial and they flatly said no way since I bought the system with the memory already installed.  So I'm sort of stuck here.

Anyone have experience with bad memory modules in a NUC purchased from Amazon marketplace? 

• 6. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
                    N.Scott.Pearson

If they sold you the system with memory installed, then it is their responsibility to address this. If this is a vendor who was paid through Amazon, you can go through Amazon to have this addressed.

...S

• 7. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
                      ted.m.h

Just to close the loop on this...  Thanks for your help guys.

While e Retailers dithered I went shopping at Micron (Crucial) and got into a chat with a sales rep (I was thinking of just buying new memory).  He confirmed the memory product I need as the replacement (a kit with two memory modules) and while chatting he told me he could make an exception and initiate a warranty exchange for me.  So my new memory modules are shipping today and I should be back to normal in the next few days.

I was able to test as lw1948 suggested and narrow the problem down to one of the memory modules.  The system itself--including the memory slots--seems to be just fine.

To their credit, I guess, e Retailers did finally agree to let me return the whole system to them for repair, but I already had the exchange going with Micron by that time.  It's noteworthy that e Retailer's initial response was that they can't help me at all--totally wrong!  And then I had to send them the whole system with no estimated return date.  Not a great outfit.

Thanks again.

• 8. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
                        dynamicmange

Really doubt this is a memory issue. I've been battling this issue for months. I have tried 3 different sets of RAM. The last I just ordered is on the list of Intel approved memory. I still get random reboots. I have even had the entire NUC replaced and the new one still reboots. I believe the Skull NUC is a defective design.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
                          lw1948

Hello dynamicmange

In your case could be the memory isn't case for rebooting. Since you have replaced the entire NUC, probably your NUC is OK. But it can happen that also the replacement NUC is fault. Any way an additional cause to your problem can be the power supply. Did you replace the power adapter? If you didn't replace the power adapter can you check your NUC with other power adapter?

Leon

• 10. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
                            dynamicmange

Thanks Leon, but it's not the power supply. When I got the replacement NUC and was trying to rule out every possibility, I left the original power supply. I had spontaneous reboots. I replaced the power supply with the new one. Spontaneous reboots. I guess it's possible that I got 2 bad brand new NUCs in a row, but to be honest I'm not sure that makes me feel any better.

• 11. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
                              lw1948

Hi,

Sorry that I don't know how I can help you. For Your information, the replaced unit is not a new one, rather it is an other unit which was received by Intel for repair from other user. May be by mistake Intel service shipped you your unit back, once that didn't duplicate any problem?

One advise I can give you to talk with Intel service again.

Again sorry.

Leon

• 12. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
                                dynamicmange

The replacement unit I received was in a sealed retail box and all of the components and accessories inside were sealed as if they were brand new. It was like the one I got off the shelf at the store.

• 13. Re: NUC 6i7kyk just started rebooting spontaneously
                                  lw1948

My statement was based on Limited Warranty terms - I quote: "Intel may elect to repair or replace the Product with either a new or reconditioned Product or components, as Intel deems appropriate." Since you got replacement unit with all accessories (i.e. Power Adapter, bracket, etc...) probably you got e new unit. Still there could by other reason than memory or NUC hardware failure causing spontaneously reboot. For example in hardware - your SSD or in software - corrupted  Windows installation.

Did you check your NUC with other SSD? and/or with new Windows installation?  Can you monitor the temperature of your SSD? For a test purpose, can you install a new Windows on your second SSD and make this SSD the bootable SSD?

Regards

Leon