Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

i5-7600k VT-x

YShal
Beginner

Hi,

I have i5-7600k 3.8GHz (http://ark.intel.com/products/97144/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-7600K Processor (6M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) Product Specifications ) processor

Although it's written in the specification that the processor support VT-x, I can't enable it from BIOS

I downloaded the "Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility" and the result for VT-x is off

What is going on here? How can I enable it? How come that Intel specifies that the processor supports VT-x but I can't see that happens?

This is my computer specification:

Mother Board:GA-B250M-DS3H (1.0)BIOS Ver:f6Brand:GIGABYTEProcessor Model:I5-7600K 3.8GHz 6MB 1151Operating System:Win 10 64-bit Memory Brand:Kingston (2 x 8G)Memory Part No.:HX424C15FB2K2
0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Tomska,

My apologies for the inconvenience.

There should be an option to enable or disable the Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) within the BIOS configuration. I noticed that there is newer BIOS version which is F7, so let's try to update to this version. Access http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10# support-dl GA-B250M-DS3H (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE select your operating system, go to BIOS and download version F7. Once done, run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility one more time.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
YShal
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for answering.

I upgraded my BIOS to F7 version and no hope, still can't see any VT-x both in Bios and in "Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/117115 Tomska sure, you're welcome.

In your BIOS configuration, do you have any option related to virtualization? Try to check for Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) or Intel® Virtualization Technology.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
YShal
Beginner

Thanks Amy,

The VT-d is already enabled, it was also in my previous BIOS version, and it doesn't help, it's actually not related to VT-x

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks to you, I just wanted to make sure if you had any virtualization option in your BIOS configuration since I am not familiar with Gigabyte BIOS.

Is there any chance to test this processor model on a different motherboard?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
YShal
Beginner

Hi,

Well can't tell you, it's a brand new computer, it's just I know everything should be ok, and I do not have any other computer that I can check

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure I understand that.

The technology is present in the processor since it's stated on ark.intel.com and also on the processors datasheet, so this makes me think that it could be related to the BIOS versions you have tested. I would like to know if there is chance to contact Gigabyte and let them know the situation with this option. In meantime, are you trying to set a virtual machine? Is this your purpose to enable Intel® VT-x ?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
YShal
Beginner

I already contacted Gigabyte before I contacted you, I am trying to resolve it in both channels, they suggested "Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility".

Yes, I am trying to run Sun VirtualBox, running an Ubuntu x64 OS, I have a business which I develop using the VPS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for that information.

When you create the virtual machine, do you see any error message?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
YShal
Beginner

Nope, it's just doesn't let me set a x64 system, only 32

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/117115 Tomska, thank you for your collaboration.

From what have seen from your description and other similar cases, this matter is related to the motherboard BIOS just like mentioned before technology is present in the processor. So, at this stage I would recommend waiting for Gigabyte's answer on this matter.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/117115 Tomska, keep me posted on Gigabyte's answer, I am interested in your results.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos