6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2017 6:48 AM by FerryT

Broadpwn

sulka

Hi! AFAIK the Edison uses a Broadcom chip that belongs to the chip family that's vulnerable to the Broadpwn worm and thus the Edison can both be taken over by the worm and be used to propagate it. Is there s plan to release a firmware update for the chip to remedy this or can Intel confirm the Edison is not vulnerable?

• 1. Re: Broadpwn
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Sulka,

We have received your service ticket about this same concern. Based on the recent discontinuation notice of the Edison module (Intel® Edison Discontinuation Notice ), there are no software releases planned for the Edison. However, I have forwarded your concern to the development team in order to have additional updates about the vulnerability you have reported.

I’ll share the updates I receive in this thread so you and other users interested in this topic can be informed.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Diego V.

• 2. Re: Broadpwn
            0andriy

You could use new kernel with mainline driver and latest and greatest firmware from Broadcom (hopefully with bug fixed already).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Broadpwn
              sulka

Which kernel would this be? I can't find information regarding which Broadcom firmware updates are supposed to be compatible with the Edison, taking a "newer than latest Intel release" Yocto kernel and installing an untested release of Broadcom firmware sounds like a great way to brick the Edison.

• 4. Re: Broadpwn
                FerryT

0andriy among others have done quite a lot of work to get Edison support mainlined, see GitHub - andy-shev/linux at eds .  The vanilla kernel requires a new U-Boot version, here GitHub - andy-shev/u-boot: "Das U-Boot" Source Tree .

New kernel, U-Boot and user space need a Yocto build environment, and while at it you would like to have user space and libraries building and up-to-date. I am working on this here GitHub - htot/meta-intel-edison at morty

I can imagine you are worried about bricking the Edison, so was I. If you follow the instructions on my wiki you should be able to boot new kernel while leaving the old installed and have the new rootfs on a sd card (leaving your current one on the emmc intact). If don't press escape while booting, your current kernel/rootfs will still boot. I.e. to boot new kernel you need to manually select it. This is convenient while developing, but can of course  will be changed to the opposite: booting the new kernel by default, while leaving the old one in case of emergencies. And eventually, remove the old system completely and installing the new rootfs on emmc.

The only permanent change is updating U-Boot (which still boots the old kernel), otherwise the vanilla kernel will not boot. And of course, an broken U-Boot will seemingly brick your Edison. But not really, the boot loader is never touched (I think is hard coded) and allows you to recover everything to factory default. I had this once, instructions for recovery also on the wiki.

• 5. Re: Broadpwn
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Sulka and all, 

I have received an update about this topic from the development team. 

Unfortunately they confirmed me that there are no further software releases planned for the Edison module. The alternative fix, as it has been already mentioned in the thread, would be to build an Edison image from source and include the latest firmware from Broadcom.

Regards,
                  Diego V.

• 6. Re: Broadpwn
                    FerryT

New image GitHub - htot/meta-intel-edison at morty uses latest firmware I could find from Android x86 project. But as far as I can tell the Wifi and bluetooth SOC do not execute code in the main memory. So the attack vector is limited to tricking the OS into loading an infected firmware, and having bugs in the Linux kernel drivers that are incorrectly handling messages (SPI) from the SOC. This can be resolved by securing the Edison to protect against infecting firmware ,and making sure bugs in the kernel are fixed, so using an up-to-date kernel. Mentioned image uses Linux 4.12.