5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2017 2:06 PM by lw1948

How to reset CMOS when I messed up fan-control in BIOS ?

NucTrino

I recently bought a NUC7i3BNK - very neat product IMO.

Issue:

It seems that the BIOS-version was very much out of date, but that is not my issue :-)

I messed up in the Visual BIOS of my NUC - big time. I cannot reset CMOS, because this model does not include a jumper for the secure_CMOS pins, located just beside the SSD-drive...

.. Could go into detail about the issue, but I think you guys have sufficient info, for the time being.

Question:
      How on earth do I reset CMOS, when I messed up fan-control in Bios

AND can't revert back to factory default bios-settings, because... well I really don't know why the trick with the power-button doesn't work, as stated in your documentation for my model?

Thesis:

I think that the issue is I set the "min. temp." to be a silly 35 degree celsius, and therefore the bios won't let me even boot up the NUC - it just blinks 2 times in a repeating pattern, until it shuts down and then tries the cycle again...

• 1. Re: How to reset CMOS when I messed up fan-control in BIOS ?
          lw1948

The CMOS memory in your NUC holds Real Time clock data only. Theoretically you don't need reset the CMOS memory. Any way if want to do this you need to disconnect the CMOS battery connector for some 15 minutes and then reconnect it. The battery and the connector are located on the board upper site and to reach them, you have to remove the all board from the case (after disconnecting power supply connector and removing the bottom cover). But again you don't need to do this unless you want to replace the CMOS battery and that is not your intention.

To reset the bios to the factory default setting follow the following instructions:

1. Press F2 during boot to enter visual bios.

2. Press F9 followed by "Y" to set bios defaults.

3. Press F10 followed by to save the settings and exit.

If you want reset the bios from Power button Menu follow the following instruction

1. Press the power button more then 3 seconds but not more then 4 seconds. Release the power button when the Power Button Led changes its color from blue to amber. The Power Button Menu will appear.

1. Press F2 during boot to enter visual bios.

2. Press F9 followed by "Y" to set bios defaults.

3. Press F10 followed by to save the settings and exit.

If you can't reset bios using the 2 above methods, you need to recover bios using Security Jumper method: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

See the attached image for security jumper location

Hope this answer your question

Leon

• 2. Re: How to reset CMOS when I messed up fan-control in BIOS ?
            NucTrino

Ty for the extensive response :-)

Will try the visual bios recovery again later today - seems like I've been holding the power button down for more than 3 seconds .. the Intel instructions in the documentation wasnt quite clear on that on I'm afraid.

Thank u! Will let you know how it turns out.

• 3. Re: How to reset CMOS when I messed up fan-control in BIOS ?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan U.

• 4. Re: How to reset CMOS when I messed up fan-control in BIOS ?
                NucTrino

Thank you for reminding me of this thread, Ivan :-)

Actually, THIS issue HAS been resolved:

I ended up resetting the CMOS by disconnecting the CMOS-battery on the back.

Because the blink codes changed from 2 blinks to 3 blinks now in a repeating pattern - so it is a RAM-issue.

But I can't figure out, if it is the NUC's DDR4 connectors that's already gone bad, or if it's the 2x 4GB Corsair VALUE SELECT RAM that's the issue now.

I guess I can mark this issue as resolved - do you guys have any suggestions on what to do next?
                The Corsair RAM (which I suspect have bad connectors, since I can almost SEE the wearing of the pins) is the issue here ... But I don't know - I agree: the VALUE SELECT was a bad choice for such a compact system ;-)

I might file a Warranty claim with Corsair, but I would just like to know if it could be the RAM socket in my INTEL Nuc-model that somehow suffered a defect ??
                I've tried brushing both RAM DIMM-connectors and the RAM itself gently with a brand new tooth brush - I got no success from this ...

... The blink code stays the same.

• 5. Re: How to reset CMOS when I messed up fan-control in BIOS ?
                  lw1948

Hi,

Try using just one memory module at a time, swapping it between the upper and lower memory slots.

Leon