7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2017 4:53 PM by Intel Corporation

monitor turns off

Cessaz

Hi

I have just set up a NUCi57BNK connecting on HDMI to my ACER S240HLBID. I press the power button on the NUC and the monitor (previously on an amber standby light) powers off. Even if I press the monitor power button it refuses to light up and the monitor remains black. If I unplug the monitor power cable for at least 10 seconds and plug in again I can get the monitor running again. This only happens when the NUC has been powered off for at least 10 minutes. Any less and the monitor works OK. Any ideas?

Ian

• 1. Re: monitor turns off
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Cessaz,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I’m sorry about the issue you have been experiencing with this system.

Do you have any adapter connected or your connection is straight connection? By straight connection in mean connecting the HDMI from the NUC to the HDMI on the monitor.

What is the RAM part number you have installed on your system?

Is it possible for you to try with different HDMI cable or another TV/Monitor?

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 2. Re: monitor turns off
            Cessaz

Hello Ivan

Thank you for getting back to me, to answer your questions, I'm using an HDMI cable directly from the NUC to the monitor. The RAM I fitted is Hyperx Impact 8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 SODIMM. I have tried a different HDMI cable and the problem is the same. I have put other computers through the monitor and put the NUC through a TV and could not replicate the problem.

My Graphics 640 driver version is 22.20.16.4729.

Ian

• 3. Re: monitor turns off
              Intel Corporation

Just to have this more clearly, this issue happen only with this specific Acer monitor but it doesn’t happen when you connect it to another TV, correct?

You can try the following:
              Turn off the NUC and the monitor.
              Unplug the power cable from the NUC and also the one from the monitor.
              Leave it for 5 minutes and plug them back on.
              Turn on the system and see if it works better.

Last, you can update the BIOS; you can download the latest BIOS version for your Intel® NUC here:
              BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]

Please see BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 4. Re: monitor turns off
                Cessaz

Hi

I've unplugged both and left off for five minutes. This works OK when I plug them back (the NUC started automatically without pressing the power button).

Then I Shutdown from Windows, the monitor power indicator goes from blue to amber. After 10 minutes I press the power button on the NUC to start, and the monitor power indicator briefly goes blue then goes off, and I can't start the monitor again. In other words back to square one.

I updated the BIOS a while ago and it is now on 86A.0049.EB as per your link above.

I have also checked again using a laptop connected to the monitor. This starts up fine and the monitor stays on.

• 5. Re: monitor turns off
                  Intel Corporation

You mentioned on the previous post that you put the NUC through a TV and could not replicate the problem, so basically this issue only happens with this specific monitor and not with TV, correct?

To me this looks like a compatibility problem with this specific monitor because if your TV work ok except for this monitor then most likely this monitor is not compatible with the NUC.

Is it possible for you to test another monitor, a regular monitor and not a TV?

Regards,

Ivan U.

• 6. Re: monitor turns off
                    Cessaz

Hi

In order to test the monitor as you suggested I've just purchased a Samsung monitor which I would have returned if the problem persisted, but it doesn't so I'll stick with it. However the NUC doesn't activate it even when setting it to wake TV in the Settings option so needs to be switched on manually, I'm happy to live that as it is a minor issue.

I'm guessing that compatibility is a perennial problem which won't be fixed for every peripheral used by the NUC so will set this thread to be correct answer, although not ideal to have to spend money on new kit.

Thank you for your time and responses on this.

Ian

• 7. Re: monitor turns off
                      Intel Corporation

Thank you for your information and I’m sorry for any inconvenience, please just make sure you have Windows and your drivers up to date, you can download the latest drivers for your system here:
                      https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95067/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i5BNH
                      There is a bundle with all the drivers that you can download.

The latest graphics driver for your system can be downloaded it here:
                      https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?product=98911

I just posted those links in case you need them.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.