1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 12:13 PM by Intel Corporation

i7 980x Gulftown: Temperature limited voltage vs. voltage maximums?

snowfun87

Hi there,

i'm not new to overclocking, however this is the first time im doing it systematically by this guide:

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

I'm running a core i7 980x "gulftown" oc'ed from 3.33 to 4.36ghz with 16 gigs of ram (4 x 2gb 1066 overclocking Memory, 2x 4gb 1333 OEM Ram from some machine).

This ram configuration is ridiculously stable even at this speed, it's only the cpu cores themselves that tend to cause crashing from prime95.

My goal was to get it to have a faster per core performance than the 4910mq in my laptop, which i absolutely reached. At the same time this pc is mostly a server to me, so it absolutely needs to be able to run 24/7 without dying.

I know that server and oc'ing don't go well together, but since i'm my own service provider in this case, i'm fine with it.

LLC is enabled, Cpu Vcore at 1.40, Vtt at 1.375, vDimm at 1.56, IOH at 1.1, Memory at 10x, QPI at 36x

bClk at 182, mult at 24.

Well now it's almost stable, however not entirely.

Since this is a headless machine (it's my vnc and ssh terminal server for home automation and remote desktop stuff), i don't run any graphics card worth mentioning. The cpu and northbridge alone got a huge watercooling tower at their disposal.

Thus i still have a lot of headroom in the temperatures, max is around 84, and that's with only one water pump active.

Now i was wondering if i could safely up the vcore voltage some more considering the hardware doesn't get hot or if i should obey the 1.40V limit (or even the 1.375 limit from the technical datasheet) for this chip?