2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2017 12:20 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i3 Bricking by Changing Video Settings

James Davidian

We've sold 100's of NUCs. Our process starts with updating the BIOS to latest, then adjusting a few BIOS settings before installing OS. One of the setting we adjust are the video RAM settings. Apparently on new Gen 7 NUC's, changing the minimum video RAM and/or aperture bricks the NUCs. We have now had this happen to 4 different Gen 7 NUC's. We have pulled that step out of our assembly instructions. Anyhow, when this happens, it ends up getting the 3 flash power LED like bad RAM, only we know it's not bad RAM. Here's what we have tried:

1. Tried recovery BIOS, both current and downgrades. This goes through and updates the BIOS but afterward, still will not POST.

2. Pulled mobo battery for up to 2 hours and replaced, did not help.

3. Single RAM chip, did not help.

4. Different brand RAM, did not help.

Nothing we tried has fixed them once they get like this. We already sent 3 back but someone forgot to not touch these settings and now a fourth is bricked.

Anyone else have anything they can think of to try before I RMA this one too? Hate to keep sending these back.

If these options are going to brick these, why can't Intel remove the options from the BIOS? Frustrating. I personally believe it's just the aperture setting and not the minimum RAM but I don't want to brick any more by trying.

• 1. Re: NUC7i3 Bricking by Changing Video Settings
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello James Davidian,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I’m sorry about the issue you have experience with the NUC.

When you set the video RAM, how much do you change it, 128, 256 or 512?

Would you please provide us with the RAMs part numbers you have tested and the amount of RAM used?

If you make these changes in the BIOS after installing the operating system do you get the same issue?

Other than changing the video memory what other changes you set up in the BIOS?

When you get this problem, is it possible for you to press and hold the power button for three seconds and then release it? This is to try to access the BIOS and set the BIOS to default settings to have the unit working again.

Now, you mentioned that you sold 100’s of NUCs and 4 of these units are affected with this issue. Just checking - Did you do these same settings with all of the NUCs and the issue only happens with these 4 units or you did not make any changes with the others?

Please let me know to better assist you.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 2. Re: NUC7i3 Bricking by Changing Video Settings
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan U.