Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Intel HD 620 not supporting Iiyama PL XB2779QS

rrivv
Beginner

Aaand I am back:

Previous post:

My system:

* Razer Blade Stealth 2016

* Windows 10 64-bit

* Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz

* Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 (driver version 22.20.16.4729)

* HDMI 2.0a

trying to connect to external display Iiyama PL XB2779Q:

* 2560 x 1440 @60Hz via DVI-D

using (two different versions of) HDMI -> DVI-D dual link cables.

* HDMI 2.0a is working -> other displays can be used with my laptop at the desired resolution of 2560 x 1440 @60Hz

* the two tested adapters / cables are working -> other displays can be used with these (and my laptop) at the desired resolution of 2560 x 1440 @60Hz

* Iiyama PL XB2779Q and its DVI port are working -> another laptop with nvidia graphics (and same adapters / cables) is able to create and use the desired resolution of 2560 x 1440 @60Hz

What is NOT working is Iiyama PL XB2779Q with Intel HD 620.

Strangely, after the last Windows update I can still create custom resolutions using the Intel Graphics Settings of up to 2560 x 1440 @40Hz (the largest bandwidth the Intel Graphics Settings will accept, however Iiyama PL XB2779Q could not display this low frequency) but I can no longer select it afterwards (neither in the Intel settings, nor in the Windows settings).

So, even if there are no working drivers (?!) for Intel HD 620 / Iiyama PL XB2779QS - I need some way to create and use the custom resolution of 2560 x 1440 @60Hz with Intel HD 620.

Please help.

Best regards,

Annika.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello rivvyn,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this graphics controller.

At this stage since you already created a thread about not being to select this specific resolution I recommended sticking with the original conversation.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
rrivv
Beginner

Hello,

No, the original thread does not fit anymore, as

- I wrongly assumed that my Intel HD 620 did not support my HDMI 2.0a port (which it _does_)

- Ivan thinks the problem to be solved (...)

Anyhow:

I now found this HDMI -> DisplayPort-adapter:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00WM6MPGC/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00WM6MPGC/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item

Using this and XB2779QS's DisplayPort, the display _works_(!) with the desired resolution via my laptop's HDMI 2.0a port and Intel HD 620.

I _can_ select the correct reolution (2560 x 1440 @60Hz) from the Windows Display Settings without problem (needing no custom resolutions).

However:

The DVI port of the display is still _not_ supported by Intel HD 620.

As I _can_ create the desired resolution / frequency using an nvidia graphics card, the 'bandwidth capacity exceeded' note (and my thus not being able to create the setting...) given by the Intel Graphics Setting is plainly arfticial - and kind of sucks.

Regards,

Annika.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Annika, I am glad to hear the adapter worked and that you are able to select the desired resolution and frequency.

I would like to share with you that the DVI max resolution is 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz; therefore, you will not able able to select 2560 x 1440 @60 Hz. You can confirm this information here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/7th-gen-core-family-mobile-u-y-processor-lines-datasheet-vol-1.html Datasheet, Vol. 1: 7th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor U/Y-Platforms, page 32.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
rrivv
Beginner

Dear Amy,

thank you for thinking your customers stupid and not entirely reading their explanations.

YES, it were two different HDMI to DVI-D dual link adapters that miraculously worked with other graphics cards (such as nvidia) or displays at a resolution of 2560x1440 and 60Hz.

The combination of Intel HD620 and XB2779-QS was not possible via DVI-D dual link, though.

MfG.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Annika, my apologies for the inconvenience.

I have been following up your thread, that is why I recommended to stick with your original conversation this since the previous agent was aware of the case and provided steps that could fix the situation or end-up finding the source of it. I noticed that you have been updating Ivan regarding each stage, so the thread is still active and going.

I mentioned the DVI max resolution here since in the other thread was not mentioned, and I wanted to let you know the reason of behavior with this port. The adapters as you mentioned worked on other platforms, but unfortunately for Intel® HD Graphics 620 there a DVI resolution limitation.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
rrivv
Beginner

Hello Amy,

thank you for being a bit more specific.

Maybe we are getting a bit of light into the topic...

(Which I doubt - but if we are, that would be the kind of answer I would have expected at my first thread here, apart from 'Did you update the drivers?' - which seems to be the equivalent of 'Did you try turning it off and on again?'. This 'previous agent' also wished me lots of fun with my system when I told him that my first suspect was not the root of the problem - but that IT STILL PERSISTED.)

Btw., the Iiyama support's competencies ended at 'But such adapters don't work.' (reality proves different) and 'There are no drivers for Windows 10 and this monitor - it's plug & play.' (yeah, and plug&play is magic, not involving drivers at all.)

So:

* I am NOT connecting to HD 620's DVI port.

* I am connecting to the HDMI 2.0a LS-PCon-magic port I have in my laptop.

* I am able to use this HD620-connected HDMI 2.0a port with external HDMI -> DVI-D dual link adapters and the DVI port of some monitors to achieve the desired resolution of 2560 x 1440 @60Hz (without needing to fiddle with Intel custom resolutions).

* I am NOT able to use same port and adapters to achieve a resolution of 2560 x 1440 @60Hz with Iiyama PL XB2779-QS via its DVI port. Windows does not offer me the setting, and I am also not allowed to create it as an Intel custom resolution ('bandwidth capacity exceeded').

* Another PC with nvidia graphics, a HDMI 2.something port and same cables works with Iiyama's PL XB2779-QS DVI port at desired resolution.

Are you thus trying to tell me that:

* HD 620 will not support resolutions greater than 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz via DVI-port at the graphics card (which I do not even have)

Or:

* HD 620 will not support resolutions greater than 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz also via an HDMI2.0a LS-PCon magic-port at the graphics card and HDMI -> DVI adapters somewhere in-between PC and display.

?

The first is irrelevent to my situation, and the latter would obviously wrong - since I could get resolutions of up to 2048 x 1152 @60Hz with XB2779-QS and resolution of up to 2560 x 1440 @60Hz with other displays.

Regards,

Annika.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Annika,

Regarding your questions;

*HD 620 will not support resolutions greater than 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz via DVI-port at the graphics card (which I do not even have)

Yes, this is the concept that the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/7th-gen-core-family-mobile-u-y-processor-lines-datasheet-vol-1.html Datasheet, Vol. 1: 7th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor U/Y-Platforms states. And, yes like you mentioned is irrelevant for your case since there is no straight port.

*HD 620 will not support resolutions greater than 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz also via an HDMI2.0a LS-PCon magic-port at the graphics card and HDMI -> DVI adapters somewhere in-between PC and display.?

Intel® HD Graphics 620 will not achieve a resolution greater that the one mentioned while using an adapter, it will be not possible. This based on the concept mentioned above and also for the fact that you are using adapter; from our end Intel does not recommend video adapters, converters, splitters, hubs or docks since these can affect the resolution and quality that the graphics controller can provide including that it can affect the handshake between the graphics controller, port and the monitor or TV. Although, in case you have to use adapter I personally recommend the high quality and active units. You mentioned that Iiyama support also does not recommend adapters, so since the adapters worked with other configurations it could a compatibility matter between the adapters, monitor and the graphics controller.

If you have more questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Annika hope you were able to check the previous input, and if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Annika,

Just to confirm the information mentioned above, as an official statement, Intel does not support DVI Dual link adapters. This is the main reason why the resolution your are trying to achieve is not possible.

Hope you can check this post.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos