1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 11:14 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i5BNH and Ubuntu 16.04.2

Vladimir.S

I would like to share my experience of running Linux Ubuntu (16.04.2) on NUC7i5BNH.

The original HW+SW configuration I started from was as follows ...

==========================

NUC model: NUC7i5BNH

RAM: 16 GB (1 module Samsung DDR4 SODIMM 2133 MHz)
      Monitor: Samsung  SyncMaster FX2490HD LED TV  Monitor (resolution: 1920x1080x60 Hz, 24 inch, HDMI, VGA interfaces) with built-in speakers
      Cable: HDMI-to-HDMI (no name)

HDD: SATA 1 TB 2.5“

OS: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS  64bit Linux 4.4.0-54-generic  installed in legacy mode

BIOS: 044

After running the configuration above everything was Okay except I got the following ISSUES:

(1) My NUC doesn't turn on monitor after OS went to sleep (Suspend). NUC is turning on, and OS is waking up, but monitor stays off.

(2) There is no sound over HDMI connection (but I can use the front combo audio jack for headset including microphone)

I have updated my configuration using

(1) Ubuntu kernel upgrade ...

(If your system upgraded to 16.04.2 and you want to have the new kernel and X server, then you must opt in by explicitly installing the hardware enablement stack) I run the following command:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04

and then I got kernel version 4.8. Later in automatic Ubuntu updates I got kernel version 4.10

and

(2) F7 BIOS update procedure

to ...

NUC model: NUC7i5BNH

RAM: 16 GB (1 module Samsung DDR4 SODIMM 2133 MHz)
      Monitor: Samsung  SyncMaster FX2490HD LED TV  Monitor (resolution: 1920x1080x60 Hz, 24 inch, HDMI, VGA interfaces) with built-in speakers
      Cable: HDMI-to-HDMI (no name)

HDD: SATA 1 TB 2.5“

OS: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS  64bit Linux 4.10.0-27-generic  installed in legacy mode

BIOS: 048

The result (on August 1st, 2017) of the updates is:

(1) Now resume after suspend works perfectly!

(2) Still issue: There is no sound over HDMI connection