I'm a bit disheartened with my NUC right now so I hope I'm making sense!
So many issues with this tiny computer!
Here's the most pressing ones;
1) The ring and power button LEDs only work when showing HDD Activity, they both stay off/black when set thru BIOS to show Power Status. - This started happening after I used F4 BIOS Recovery to update the installed v42 to the latest v48 BIOS.
2) The F2/F7 etc keys don't work, and never have, during start up to access BIOS etc.. That's why I updated the BIOS in the first place but that didn't help. The only way I can access BIOS settings or BIOS Update is by the Power Button menu or by using the jumper to do a Recovery. Even when using the Power Button Menu only F2 Setup and sometimes F4 Recovery work, F7 Update never does - it invokes but doesn't do anything, the NUC just boots into Windows. F7 also fails if I launch it from within Setup, again just booting into Windows.
3) I can't seem to revert to an older version of the BIOS to see if that fixes the LEDs because I can no longer update it. All recent attempts to recover or update the BIOS now just add another BIOS Flash Failed error in the log then boot straight into the OS.
4) Getting desperate I tried a jumper Recovery which did work in that it refreshed the BIOS - but fixed nothing - and now I've read that by doing that I've wiped out the unit's HDCP keys which I assume means my NUC can never be used to play HDMI content to a TV? Great.
What a stuff up this has been! That said, when I allow the machine to boot into Windows it works fine, it's just the BIOS and LEDs that aren't working.
What makes this even more frustrating is that I can find multiple references to all these issues in this and other forums but none of the solutions suggested there have worked... as you can see I've been trying them - for two days! I've reset the BIOS to defaults many times, tried playing around with different combinations of settings for the LEDs in Power setting but the LEDs never work for Power Status, only HDD Activity. To reiterate, they worked perfectly before I updated the BIOS.
From here what I really want is;
- To get the Power LED working as a Power LED.
- To get BIOS access working thru F2 during POST.
- To get BIOS updates working, preferably through F7 during POST, or at least understand why they're not.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!