1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 2:22 PM by Intel Corporation

Issue during MAVLink installation

rohanK23

HI,

I am trying to install MAVLink on my ubuntu machine following the instructions at

Set Up a Simulation Environment with the Intel® Aero Compute Board Developer Guide | Intel® Software

GitHub - mavlink/mavlink: Marshalling / communication library for drones.

When I cd  to the mavlink directory and run cmake and then try a make or the python -m pymavlink.tools.mavgenerate command, I get the following error

/usr/bin/python: No module named pymavlink.tools

I have set my PYTHONPATH to /usr/bin/python.

MartyG

intel_corp

Any idea what I am missing ?

Thanks

Rohan

• 1. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
          MartyG

From the look of your instruction, it seems as though you are trying to use the command line installation for mavgenerate instead of the GUI installation approach.  The two have slightly different instructions, and it looks like you have mixed the two together into one.

For GUI installation, you use:

$ python -m mavgenerate

For command line installation, you use:

$ python -m pymavlink.tools.mavgen

In the instruction you used, you have put mavgenerate instead of mavgen

• 2. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
            rohanK23

I tried both. The git clone of GitHub - mavlink/mavlink: Marshalling / communication library for drones.  created a mavgenerate file. No mavgen

• 3. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello rohanK23,

I was wondering if you have any updates regarding the MAVLink installation, or if you still require some sort of assistance.

I’ll be waiting for your response

Have a nice day.

Regards,
              Andres V.

• 4. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                rohanK23

Hi Andres,

I have been stuck on that and havent had a chance to look further. Can you give me step by step instructions on how to install MAVLink and PX4 and make it work with the compute board ?

Thanks

Rohan

• 5. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

I’m trying to reproduce the issue you are experiencing, but I am not getting the /usr/bin/python: No module named pymavlink.tools error message.

By looking at the error message, the issue may not be related to the installation process, it seems to be related to setting the PYTHONPATH. You may want to check this couple of links just to make sure you are correctly setting the environmental variable:
                  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18247333/python-pythonpath-in-linux 
                  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16913086/ubuntu-add-directory-to-python-path 

As a side note, do you have Tkinter installed?

If you don’t, these are the commands that I ran on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system (that already had Python 2.7 installed):
                  sudo apt-get install python-tk
                  git clone –recursive https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink

If you have any update or question, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                  Andres V.

• 6. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                    rohanK23

Hi Andres,

I will try this soon.

Couple questions -

1. How can I communicate between the compute board and a flight controller using MAVLink protocol ? Are there any code examples I can follow ?

2. Do I need any extra hardware for my compute board to connect the flight controller via UART ? I am planning to buy Pixhawk

best

Rohan

• 7. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                      rohanK23

Hi Andres,

Different error. I think I did not have --recursive the last time I did the clone.

I ran out of my home directory /home/rohan-

sudo apt-get install python-tk     (Although I am not using GUI).
                      git clone –recursive https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink

Then added /home/rohan/mavlink to the PYTHONPATH

export PYTHONPATH=/home/rohan/mavlink

cd to mavlink

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ python -m pymavlink.tools.mavgen

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 174, in _run_module_as_main

"__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code

exec code in run_globals

File "/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/tools/mavgen.py", line 16, in <module>

from pymavlink.generator import mavgen

File "pymavlink/generator/mavgen.py", line 12, in <module>

from future import standard_library

ImportError: No module named future

I did sudo pip install future and re-ran the command and still got the same error.

Let me know what I might be missing.

best

Rohan

• 8. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

Thank you for the updates.

I fixed the “ImportError: No module named future” error message by running the following commands:

sudo apt install python-pip
                        pip install future

Are you sure you have pip installed?

After that I ran the python –m mavgenerate command and the MAVLink generator window shows up.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                        Andres V.

• 9. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                          rohanK23

Hi Andres,

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ sudo apt-get install python-pip

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree      

Reading state information... Done

python-pip is already the newest version (8.1.1-2ubuntu0.4).

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

fonts-lato gir1.2-cryptui-0.0 libcryptui0a libepoxy-dev libruby2.3 libxtst-dev linux-headers-4.4.0-75 linux-headers-4.4.0-75-generic linux-image-4.4.0-75-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-75-generic rake ruby

ruby-did-you-mean ruby-minitest ruby-net-telnet ruby-power-assert ruby-test-unit ruby2.3 rubygems-integration seahorse-daemon ttf-liberation x11proto-record-dev

Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ pip install future

Requirement already satisfied: future in /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ python –m mavgenerate

python: can't open file '–m': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

exec code in run_globals

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ ls

cmake  CMakeLists.txt  config.h.in  COPYING  doc  examples  mavgenerate.py  message_definitions  missionlib  pc.in  pymavlink  README.md  scripts

Please advise

Thanks

Rohan

• 10. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                            rohanK23

Just a FYI..

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ ls /usr/lib/python*

I see these 2

__future__.py

__future__.pyc

My PYTHONPATH variable is set to the directory mavlink that got created after the clone of the mavlink.git. I assume thats what it should be , correct ?

And also see

/usr/lib/python2.7/compiler/future.pyc

/usr/lib/python2.7/compiler/future.py

• 11. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Rohan,

Thank you for the information provided.

Could you please try using the sudo apt install pythin-pip command instead of the sudo apt-get install python-pip command? Just to make sure you are following the same exact steps as I am.

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                              Andres V.

• 12. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                                rohanK23

Hi Andres,

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ sudo apt install python-pip

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree     

Reading state information... Done

python-pip is already the newest version (8.1.1-2ubuntu0.4).

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

fonts-lato gir1.2-cryptui-0.0 libcryptui0a libepoxy-dev libruby2.3

libxtst-dev linux-headers-4.4.0-75 linux-headers-4.4.0-75-generic

linux-image-4.4.0-75-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-75-generic rake ruby

ruby-did-you-mean ruby-minitest ruby-net-telnet ruby-power-assert

ruby-test-unit ruby2.3 rubygems-integration seahorse-daemon ttf-liberation

x11proto-record-dev

Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ pip install future

Requirement already satisfied: future in /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages

exec code in run_globals

What is your PYTHONPATH variable set to ?

Mine is

declare -x PYTHONPATH="/home/rohan/mavlink"

Rohan

• 13. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                                  rohanK23

Hi Andres,

Can you give me your step my step instructions you used to create mavlink.h ?  I am stuck

here is what I did:

1. From home dir:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/mavlink/mavlink.git

2. cd mavlink

3. sudo apt install python-pip

pip install future

4. export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:/home/rohan/mavlink

5. Run command

exec code in run_globals

Also can you tell me where the header files are generated ?

Its a bit confusing. I did a find . -name "*.h" from my mavlink directory and got this

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ find /home/rohan/mavlink/ -name "*.h"

/home/rohan/mavlink/missionlib/testing/mavlink_missionlib_data.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/missionlib/mavlink_missionlib_data.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/missionlib/mavlink_parameters.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/missionlib/waypoints.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/mavlink_types.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/test/test.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/test/version.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/test/testsuite.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/test/mavlink.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/test/mavlink_msg_test_types.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/checksum.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/mavlink_helpers.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v0.9/protocol.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/test/windows/targetver.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/test/windows/stdafx.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/mavlink_types.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/checksum.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/mavlink_sha256.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/mavlink_conversions.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/mavlink_get_info.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/mavlink_helpers.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v2.0/protocol.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/mavlink_types.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/test/test.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/test/version.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/test/testsuite.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/test/mavlink.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/test/mavlink_msg_test_types.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/checksum.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/mavlink_conversions.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/mavlink_helpers.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/generator/C/include_v1.0/protocol.h

/home/rohan/mavlink/pymavlink/mavnative/mavlink_defaults.h

Are these the generated header files I am suppose to use in my application ?

Thanks

Rohan

• 14. Re: Issue during MAVLink installation
                                    rohanK23

I noticed that pip install future is referring to the 3.5 python version.

So I did a sudo pip2 install future and it installed future

rohan@penguin:~/mavlink$ sudo pip2 install future

The directory '/home/rohan/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.

The directory '/home/rohan/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.

Collecting future

Installing collected packages: future

Successfully installed future-0.16.0

But then I ran the command

usage: mavgen.py [-h] [-o OUTPUT]

[--lang {C,CS,JavaScript,Python,WLua,ObjC,Swift,Java,C++11}]

[--wire-protocol {0.9,1.0,2.0}] [--no-validate]

[--error-limit ERROR_LIMIT]

XML [XML ...]

mavgen.py: error: too few arguments

1 2 Previous Next