Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 630 causes Black Screen at login

CLobb
Beginner

Windows 10 Home edition

Version 1703, OS Build 15063.483

This morning when I sat down at my computer, it had an empty black screen. Repeated reboot attempts didn't fix it. Each time it rebooted, it would display the initial circling dots for a few minutes, and then go back to black. No cursor, no nothing.

Finally, I got logged into the computer using Safe Mode, and that worked fine. When I disable (or uninstall and delete) my Intel HD Graphics 630 driver, I can reboot into normal startup with no problems, and everything works fine. Until I try to re-enable (or reinstall) that driver, and then suddenly the whole screen goes black again and I can't do anything but reboot back into Safe Mode and start the whole process all over.

So there definitely seems to be an issue with the driver. However, it doesn't look like the driver has changed at all for months (the last time it was updated was in May). After the problem started, I went and downloaded the latest copy of the driver from the site here, and tried that. But I had the exact same issue, as it went through the install process the dots started ticking away to install the Graphics driver, and then after a dozen or so of them, the screen went to black again and once more I had to start the whole process over.

So, it appears that the problem is with this graphics driver. But as I said, the driver hasn't been updated in May (since I first got this computer), and it's been working fine that whole time. So I kept digging around, and found that although THIS driver hadn't changed recently, there was a long list of new drivers that Windows DID update overnight last night. So I'm assuming that probably one of these is having a conflict with the graphics driver, causing this issue?

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - MEDIA - 5/2/2017 12:00:00 AM - 6.0.1.8142

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - MEDIA - 3/28/2017 12:00:00 AM - 6.0.1.8105

Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc. - Net - 8/11/2016 12:00:00 AM - 10.0.0.345

Canon - Printers - Canon MX920 series FAX

Logitech - WebCam - Logitech HD Webcam C525

Logitech - WebCam - HD Webcam C525

Canon - Printers - Canon MX920 series Printer

Intel Corporation - Display - 11/11/2016 12:00:00 AM - 21.20.16.4550

Qualcomm Atheros Communications - Bluetooth Controller - Dell Wireless 1707 Bluetooth 4.0 LE Device

Realtek - LAN - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Western Digital Technologies - Other hardware - WD SES Device

These were the only changes made last night (no other windows updates appear in the update history).

So, any help suggesting where the problem is? Obviously I've got my computer booted now (without my HD Graphics 630 driver), but that also limits the functionality of the computer, so I'd really rather have that (or some other equivalent) driver back up and running ASAP.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Calobban,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

There is a new driver version available for this graphics, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?product=98909 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?product=98909

Before installing this latest version uninstall the older driver and install this new version manually, please see how to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
CLobb
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, and sorry for the tardiness of my response. Unfortunately I was away on summer vacation when I received your reply, and then forgot to address it when I got home.

I did try installing that version of the driver downloaded from the website. Unfortunately, it didn't help. When I start the driver installation process, it gets about halfway through and then the screen blinks to black very briefly, blinks back on for a second or two, and then goes back to full black. I left it for about 10 minutes (to make sure it was completely done the driver installation) and then rebooted into Safe Mode, and it showed that it had indeed installed the driver again (but booting any way except safe mode still yields the same black screen on boot up error).

Any other suggestions or things I can try? Or any other information that you need from me? After installing the driver (from that download you linked above) it does still show the Driver Date of 2016-11-11 and the Driver Version of 21.20.16.4550. Which seems older than it should, but I did install it directly from that download (after deleting the older one). So I'm not entirely sure what it's doing there, or if even though the download is newer the driver for my specific device hasn't been updated recently?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This driver has been tested plenty of time with different system and there is no issues like this.

What is your system and processor model? If you computer has switchable graphics I suggest you to uninstall both drivers and then install the Intel driver first manually, you can follow the steps to install the driver manually from the link I posted above, after the Intel drive is install you can install the other graphics driver that came with your laptop, you will need to check if it is an Nvidia driver or other type.

Also, go ahead and run Windows® update again to see if there is any updates that you can installed.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan U.
0 Kudos