1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 5:54 PM by Fire00

My NUC isn't waking up

AllanA

Hello all,

After working on building up my NUC, thinking I'm going to have a sweet running computer for years and years, I'm wondering now if I'm still going to be using this computer!  This is currently working into being a pain.  The computer doesn't want to wake up after being idle for 10 minutes or more.  I have to hit the power button on monitor two or three times to wake the computer up!  It looks like something is starting to happen when I wake the computer up with mouse movement, but the process never finishes.  The closest I get is "Cable Disconnected".  This has nothing to do with the OS, (Win 10 Pro) as I was getting the same problem when using multiple Linux OSs too.  This has to do with BIOS or the hardware and firmware before the OS. 

Any suggestions how to remedy this?

My computer is a NUC5i5RYH;

with

16 GB of Crucial Memory

HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB

K350 Logitech  Wireless Keyboard

Acer H213H monitor

• 1. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

We are sorry to hear the NUC is not working as you expected. In order to try to fix this problem, we can try a BIOS update to the latest version of the NUC, which is 0365. On the links below you will find the instructions of how to do it and the .BIO file needed:
          https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005850.html
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26936/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-?product=83255

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
            dougho

I know you think it is hardware or firmware, but just in case it is coincidence...

A recent Windows 10 update caused behavior which seems very similar to what you describe.  The message "cable disconnected" may be from your monitor.  The ten minutes may be the time when the power-saving feature of Windows 10 turns off the monitor.  The problem which started with a June update (KB4022716) is that the screen doesn't come back unless you try some workaround like Win+Shift+Ctrl+B (or the power button cycles you mention).  The problem seemed to be fixed with a July update (KB4025342) - those numbers are for my Win10 version which is 1703.  In other words, verify that KB4025342 has installed recently for you and if not, figure out how to get it installed (I had to use manual method on one of my machines which kept failing automatic update).  And if you are trouble-shooting, consider temporarily disabling that Power-Screen-Turn off after-x minutes.

• 3. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
              AllanA

I believe I already have the latest BIOS installed.  I tried to get to the BIOS just now to check and boot up sequence is not letting me get to the BIOS.  I hit F2 and/or F10 and it just keeps booting to Win 10.  Also this same problem of the computer going to sleep and not waking was seen in all the Linux OSs I played with.  I'm having trouble following how this is seen as a Windows update error.  Also all the updates have been done on Win 10 too.  It shows that it's up to date.  Also that KB4025342 shows no record of being installed.

• 4. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for providing those results.

In order to try to fix the problem of being unable to enter the BIOS, we can try a BIOS recovery to the same version 0365:
                https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html

If that problem persists as well as the one where the NUC is not waking up after trying all the steps recommend on this thread, then the next thing to do will be to replace the NUC. If you are interested in that option, please get in contact directly with Intel:
                Chat support:
                http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat,

For phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:
                EMEA contact information: http://intel.ly/28QeAF3
                APAC contact information: http://intel.ly/1ITfjUF
                LAR contact information: http://intel.ly/29c0rW4
                North America: Phone Number  1-916-377-7000, Monday - Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                  AllanA

Thanks as replacing this thing sounds like the best suggestion I've seen yet!  There is nothing but one problem on top of another on this thing!  It's being added and not subtracted.  I'll see how that Chat support works.

• 6. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                    Intel Corporation

You are welcome. Perfect, by getting in contact directly with Intel through chat support you will be able to replace the NUC. Remember the Intel warranty on the NUC is for 3 years.

Regards,
                    Alberto R

• 7. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                      AllanA

This is the second time I've sent a NUC to Intel.  Doesn't seem like the company I've grown up with.  The company is usually alot more reliable than this.  I just hope this time it's better.  We really got nowhere on the last unit.

Thanks for your help.  I'm glad you guys were around!

• 8. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                        Intel Corporation

We apologize for all the inconvenience. Thank you very much for sharing that information. Hopefully, this time the replacement NUC will work with no problems. Once you get the unit, if the problem remains, please let us know the details on this thread.

Regards,
                        Alberto R

• 9. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                          AllanA

This is complete ********!!!!!!!!!  They sent me back the NUC I sent them!  Either that or all these POS computers don't wake up!  My bet is they didn't do a thing and they just sent this POS back!!!!!!!!!! 

So tell me, what was done?

• 10. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                            N.Scott.Pearson

Wait, you weren't returning the NUC thinking that the wake issue would be fixed by this, were you? This is a bug that has existed in the NUCs for a number of years now. I first saw it in the (4th generation) WY NUCs. Since it seems to be isolated to the HDMI interfaces and folks using Linux distros see it too, I am presuming that it is an issue with the DP-to-HDMI ICs that Intel is using.

In my case, I exacerbate the issue further using HDMI-, DVI- and VGA-based KVMs. I have avoided the hangs by disabling both system and monitor sleep. It's eating a tiny bit of power having NUCs idling instead of sleeping but at least they run clean.

...S

• 11. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                              AllanA

I was thinking I would get one back that doesn't have this issue.  Whatever that took, as I'm not a big fan of going backwards in the progression of better, faster computers.  Maybe I'm wrong but I got a NUC thinking I'd have a pretty nice computer, that is not seeming to be the case here.  So what was the reason for me to send back my computer?  And once again, what exactly was done with my computer and what were they trying to do?

• 12. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                                Intel Corporation

: I sent you a private message, please check your inbox.

Regards,
                                Alberto R

• 13. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                                  AllanA

Alberto,

Can you write out a plan of attack and what the goal is here? 

I'm losing any confidence in getting a working computer and starting to figure out a Plan B.  The computer sent to me as a "replacement" has been sitting here after firing it up once and checking it out.  

• 14. Re: My NUC isn't waking up
                                    Intel Corporation

: I sent you another private message, please check your inbox.

Regards,
                                    Alberto R

1 2 Previous Next