9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 8:25 AM by CarlosLima

NUC7i7BNH - 4K Video Resolution 3840x2160?

CarlosLima

I have not found how to change the video resolution to the maximum allowed.

In Kodi, I only encounter up to full hd 1920x1080 and would like to keep the NUC at the maximum resolution allowed.

Is the 4K resolution available only when the hdmi cable is connected to a 4K TV?

My TV is full HD 1920x1080 and will that be the issue? I do not think so, and I'd like some tips on it, because the NUC will be connected to a 4K TV.

• 1. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 4K Video Resolution 3840x2160?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello CarlosLima,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Unless your TV/monitor supports 4k resolution you will be able to set this resolution, other than that you only get the resolution your TV can support.

If your TV supports 4k resolution you should be able to set it, but in this case we strongly recommend using straight connection (HDMI from the NUC to HDMI on the TV or DP to DP), if you are using any adapters you might not get the resolution you desire because the adapter usually interfere with this signal, make sure you are using straight connection and that you are using high quality cable.

Just in case you don’t have the latest graphics driver installed, you can download it here:
          Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.46]

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 2. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 4K Video Resolution 3840x2160?
            CarlosLima

Hello Ivan U.

Before, thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, the hdmi cables are 2.0 4K first line and the connection will look like this:

Intel NUC connected to the Denon AVR-2113 Receiver 4K by hdmi 2.0 cable 4k

Denon 4K Receiver connected to TV Samsung UN55F9000 4K by hdmi cable 2.0 4k

Therefore, there is no adapter that interferes with the 4K signal between the NUC and the TV, since the Receiver is also standard 4K.

Yes, the drive installed is the one you mentioned, thank you.

Is this right ?

• 3. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 4K Video Resolution 3840x2160?
              some1ne

Yea that will work fine once you have a 4k tv connected the way you describe.

You should pay attention though that intel has some serious issues with drivers/bios on the latest nucs at 4k/60fps at the moment.

there is a thread about it in these forums.

on a side note, there is no such think as hdmi 2.0 cables or whatever the number may say.

This is whats correct about hdmi cables:

Standard HDMI Cable (Supports Resolution Only 1080i and 720p)
              Standard HDMI cable with Ethernet (Supports resolution to 1080i and 720p only and has network)
              High Speed HDMI Cable (Supports 1080p, 4K, 3D and Deep Color)
              High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (Supports 1080p, 4K, 3D and Deep Color and has Network)

the numbers are often described like this:

The HDMI version (HDMI 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc.) only indicates the functions and resolutions supported by the devices you are pairing, not the cable itself. In other words, if you have a new Blu-ray player that supports 3D (HDMI Version 1.4), your TV must also support 3D (HDMI Version 1.4). Then you will use a high speed HDMI cable. However, there are still many who are sure to call the cables for version numbers to show that they support those features.

• 4. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 4K Video Resolution 3840x2160?
                CarlosLima

Thanks for the explanations and I understood perfectly what you described.

It is a fact that many apply references to cables to distinguish models.

I have sent the NUC correctly configured to its owner and I wait for it to use it and pass the feedback.

Any new questions I'll post here, as is customary.

Thank you

• 5. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 4K Video Resolution 3840x2160?
                  CarlosLima

For everyone to know, about the NUC7i7BNH I bought in Amazon US and brought to a friend in Brazil, I configured it like this:

- disk m.2 Samsung EVO 960 500GB

- memory card ddr4 Crucial 32GB, 2x16GB

- Windows 10/64 bit Pro

- Kodi 18 Read with skin MQ8

- Windows Defender

- no other software has been installed since the NUC will be used only as htpc.

The owner has connected the NUC to a Denon 4K receiver and is connected to a Samsung 4K TV, both with hdmi 2.0 cable (High Speed HDMI Cable)

He gave 10/10 to the NUC, both in boot speed, shutdown and general navigation. And yes, it perfectly reproduces the 4k 10 bit video without any audio or video locking.

They said extremely satisfied and exceeded their expectations.

Congratulations to Intel for the excellent product.

I am a user and reseller of Intel NUC

• 6. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 4K Video Resolution 3840x2160?
                    some1ne

With Windows 10 creators update (which is needed for dolby atmos) HDR in Kodi dont work so you will miss out on a lot of picture quality.

if you do update you will soon see flickering and audio dropouts.

10/10 to the NUC, both in boot speed, shutdown and general navigation.  4k 10bit video with HDR is not working atm.

• 7. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 4K Video Resolution 3840x2160?
                      CarlosLima

This is not very good news. Hopefully they can heal soon.

• 8. Re: NUC7i7BNH - 4K Video Resolution 3840x2160?
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello CarlosLima,

Thank you for the response and I’m glad that your client is satisfied with the unit.

We have seen some problem with Windows® creator and hopefully a new update will be released to solve problems.

Just make sure you have the latest drivers and BIOS and to update the HDMI 2.0 Firmware, you can download the HDMI 2.0 Firmware here:
                        https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26609/HDMI-2-0-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BN-NUC7i5BN-NUC7i7BN-NUC6CAY?product=95065

Regards,

Ivan U.