Items with no label
3335 Discussions

What function is SmoothingLevelType?(SMOOTHING_HIGH)

松拓也
Novice

Hi.

I'd like to know what SmoothingLevelType is.

I set SMOOTHING_HIGH.

What the difference between SMOOTHING_DISABLED and SMOOTHING_HIGH?

Best Regards,

Thank you.

1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Smoothing improves the quality of a depth image captured by the camera by reducing distortions / breaks in the image caused by 'noise', and smoothing out jagged edges. The documentation page for the SmoothingLevelType function says:

SMOOTHING_DISABLED: No smoothing.

SMOOTHING_MEDIUM: Median smoothing.

SMOOTHING_HIGH: Heavy smoothing.

The RealSense SDK has a Smoother Utility.

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/documentation/html/index.html?doc_utils_the_smoother_utility.html Intel® RealSense™ SDK 2016 R2 Documentation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Smoothing improves the quality of a depth image captured by the camera by reducing distortions / breaks in the image caused by 'noise', and smoothing out jagged edges. The documentation page for the SmoothingLevelType function says:

SMOOTHING_DISABLED: No smoothing.

SMOOTHING_MEDIUM: Median smoothing.

SMOOTHING_HIGH: Heavy smoothing.

The RealSense SDK has a Smoother Utility.

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/documentation/html/index.html?doc_utils_the_smoother_utility.html Intel® RealSense™ SDK 2016 R2 Documentation

0 Kudos
松拓也
Novice

Thank you for your answer

Do you know that if i set SMOOTHING_HIGH, RealSense's FPS becomes slowly whether or not?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I would think that the smoothing would be performed by the SDK software on the PC, not the camera. So if that is the case, anything that involves additional processing has the potential to cause lag. The effect it would have on FPS would likely depend on the capabilities of your particular PC's hardware. The better the hardware, the less noticeable slowdown there would likely be.

0 Kudos
松拓也
Novice
0 Kudos