3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 12:08 PM by Intel Corporation

Black screen when resume from sleep

p88399

After a recent display driver update (update to 20.19.15.4624) on NUC5I5RYK I get a black screen where only the mouse pointer is showing when I try to log on after the system has resumed from sleep state.

Windows 10 has my monitor set as the primary display and my TV as extended display. The display ID for the monitor is 2 and for the TV is 1. TV uses HDMI and monitor uses display port.

The Intel display driver is set to Extended desktop > Digital display + Digital TV and the driver sets ID of the monitor as 1 and the TV as 2.

The Intel driver has hardcoded the primary display to be display with ID = 1 so this makes sense, but it's different from the ID's used by the Windows OS.

I found that if I log on and then presses win+P to select "second screen only" (in the blind as monitor is black) then the monitor is activated.

It seems like the Intel driver is assuming Windows display ID 1 is the primary after resume and that this causes the problem.

Is there any way I can force Windows to identify my monitor as ID = 1 and my TV as ID = 2 so I can hopefully bypass this driver problem?

Or is there any other way to solve this? I have seems lot's of reports on this black screen issue but no clear solution in any of the posts I have looked at.

• 1. Re: Black screen when resume from sleep
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In regard to your question, if you get into the Intel® graphics control panel, and then look for “display” then select “multiple displays” you will be able to choose which is the primary and secondary display.
          Now, you mentioned the problem started after installing driver version 4624, just for testing purposes, did you try to install the previous graphics driver in order to confirm if the problem persists?
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86211/Intel-HD-Graphics-6000

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Black screen when resume from sleep
            p88399

The problem has been resolved, not sure what caused it, but it happened after kb4025342 was installed on the system. The kb had been failing to install automatically for some time so it was installed manually and since the black screen issue is gone. The monitor ID's are still different between the Windows display settings and the Intel graphics properties so it seems this is unrelated to the previous problem.

Since the issue has been resolved I didn't attempt to install the previous driver version but thanks for replying.

• 3. Re: Black screen when resume from sleep
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: You are very welcome. Excellent, it is great to hear the problem got fixed by installing the kb manually.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,
              Alberto R