Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

AMT discovery tools do not work on WinPE 10 64 system

TWoźn1
Beginner

Since I am new in the forum "Hello everyone"

In my company we use USB tool based on WinPE image. Among many functions it detects the V-pro status such as enabled, disabled, pre-provision, post-prrovision etc. Now we are preparing to switch to UEFI deployment, we switch from WinPE 4.0 32 bit to WinPE 10 64 bit. To detect the AMT status in Winpe4.0 32 bit I used to run 'SCSDiscovery.exe' and 'ACUConfig.exe', then I parsed the output log accordingly.

Now the problem is those tools no longer works in Winpe 64 bit because the tools are apparently 32 bit applications.

The error I get is : "This version of SCSDiscovery.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're using. Check you computer's system information and then contact the software publisher". In this case the publisher is Intel. I search through and through but I could not find 64 bit version of the tools.

I tried to play with WMI class. I installed ad-hoc 'heci.inf' and 'mesrl.inf' drivers. But I am unable to query any of the WMI classes described in https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments/intelmewmiprovider.htm Intel(R) AMT SDK Implementation and Reference Guide . They are just not present even the drivers are installed.

My questions are:

1. Where can I download 64 bit version of the v-pro detection tools ?

2. How to detect the v-pro status on WinPE 64 bit OS ?

Many thanks in advance.

Tomasz

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MichaelA_Intel

Tomasz.Wozniak

Hi Tomasz and welcome to our community.

I don't have an answer for you just yet but wanted to let you know I'm working on getting you a response and will post soon.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
TWoźn1
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. I wonder if there are any updates on this.

regards,

Tomasz

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Tomasz.Wozniak

Hi Tomasz,

What I'm getting is that we don't have a 64-bit version but I'm still digging to see if possibly something is in development and if so, a release date. Sorry it's taking a bit.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Tomasz.Wozniak

Hi Tomasz,

Can you tell me how many systems you're deploying this to?

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
TWoźn1
Beginner

Hi Michael,

We build about 4000-5000 fresh computers per year. We use USB v-Pro provisioning. I look for a way to check the v-pro status running WinPE OS 64 bit so that I can give the information to the end user in a friendly way.

regards,

Tomasz

0 Kudos
TWoźn1
Beginner

Hi Michael,

I wonder if you have any update from you dev team or any tips how to deal with v-pro detection running WinPE 64 bit OS ?

Thanks,

Tomasz

0 Kudos
LSomm1
Beginner

Hi Tomasz and Michael,

we are facing a similar situation. We are using the Intel WMI provider in our deployment routine to make sure the computers have been unprovisioned before they get reinstalled.

We are also preparing to switch from WinPE5.1 32bit to WinPE10 64bit in order to deploy Windows 10 x64 UEFI clients, but can not find a solution that allows us to query the provisioning state from within a WinPE x64 environment.

We can't use the WMI provider anymore because the MEProv.dll seems to be available in 32bit only which can't be registered by regsvr32 in WinPE x64.

So my question are similar to Tomasz:

1. Where can I download 64 bit version of the MEProv.dll ?

2. How to detect the v-pro status on WinPE 64 bit OS ?

Regards,

Lutz

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Tomasz.Wozniak LutzS

Hi Tomasz and Lutz,

Just wanted to let you guys know I saw your posts and am still tracking this down.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Tomasz.Wozniak LutzS

Hi Tomasz/Lutz,

I apologize that it has taken a while for me to respond. So, we do NOT have a tool that can support WinPE 64 bit at this time. I have asked for this capability to be placed on our roadmap for a future release but I have no dates. I know this is not what you were wanting to hear considering a 4-5K deployment refresh as I personally know how much effort a deployment of that magnitude requires and the more tools the better. Sorry I did not have better news.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
LSomm1
Beginner

michael_a_intel

Hi Tomasz/Michael,

I found a way that works for me. I am utilizing the v-Pro Powershell module now.

I have added the Management Interface driver and the vPro module program folder to my boot image and run this little script to check if the computer is already configured for AMT.

Import-Module -name $PSScriptRoot\Intelvpro

$me = new-Object 'Intel.Management.Mei.MeDevice'

$MeEnabled=$me.Enable()

$ErrorActionPreference = 'silentlycontinue'

$me.Discover()

if ($me.Setupstatus -eq "unconfigured")

{

exit 0

}

Elseif ($me.Setupstatus -eq "configured")

{

exit 1

}

Else

{

exit 2

}

$me.discover() does quit with an error message(that's why I switched error handling right before) . However it is still discovering the setup status and that everything I need to know.

Maybe this does help you too Tomasz.Wozniak

Regards,

Lutz

0 Kudos