9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2017 1:24 PM by dan123456

Don't upgrade your BIOS after warranty, old BIOSes on Intel page are faulty and it will destroy your motherboard!

dan123456

Stay away from upgrading BIOS on old motherboards, Intel hacked BIOS files and it will destroy your hardware!

• 1. Re: Don't upgrade your BIOS after warranty, old BIOSes on Intel page are faulty and it will destroy your motherboard!
          N.Scott.Pearson

This is the absolutely silliest thing I have heard in a long, long while!

I am a former (retired) member of the development team and still use a number of these boards across a number of different board generations. The BIOS updates are all just fine. They are compressed and encrypted and are signed and certified by Intel.

To think that any company would do something like this is ridiculous. Intel is not in the Desktop Boards business any longer, so there is absolutely no upside to them doing anything like this.

I expect the problem to be operator error. The most frequent case is folks with 6 Series boards blindly upgrading their BIOS without reading the instructions regarding the process. I have handled dozens of cases where this was the case...

...S

• 2. Re: Don't upgrade your BIOS after warranty, old BIOSes on Intel page are faulty and it will destroy your motherboard!
            dan123456

Intel Customer Support wishes me lovely evening. Really nice. I feel this is time to give chance to another company, Sad, I'm Intel fan and always used their hardware for me and family. My old Pentium made in Philippines (26314800BF) is still working. Nice CPU, but Core is pumped up mobile platform engineered to die after warranty and if not, trap on Intel page will kill platform to force you purchase new? Why Intel? I saw it, I'm not alone with exactly same problem. Why they did it to us? To give us Ryzen?

Dear Mattia,

Thank you for reply. I hope that I will get my PC working again. I know it is old computer, but I'm taking care of my 94y old granny, so I can't updrade, because she needs me 24/7 and I can't work. But I have youtube channel about gaming and now I have gap in every day streams. I just started before wef months and my computer becomes unstable while I was streming and CPU switched to Turbo. I turned it off and it helped for some time. I think my i5 2500K is also too old and need to be replaced, but it must be enough for long time for me in my situation. I added big heatsink, so it can stream video for few hours.

my full address is:

Dan Skorpil

phone:

board AA number:BTDB123000ZU    AA G27985-101

board SN number: DZ68DB

on board I found some other sticker with number: E06995c2a9e4

If you need any other information, I will provide. I hope I will be able to purchase Intel hardware in future, I'm getting it for long term use. I did not expected this failure. It never happend before. I used i286, i386dx, i486dx2, Pentium 100Mhz, Pentium 2 266Mhz, Pentium 4 1.7GHZ, C2D 2.4GHz and this i5 2500K and never had problem. Some of rhis CPUs I still have and never give to anyone. I hate when people are mining gold from this nice hardware. Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Dan

Dear Mr Skorpil,

Thanks a lot for your kind answer.

I have been checking the warranty of your motherboard and unfortunately it looks like the board has been out of warranty since December 13, 2014.

To certify that the board has been purchased less than 3 years ago from yourself from an authorized seller, please provide us with a valid proof of purchase.

Thanks again for your cooperation!  Best regards,

Mattia

Intel Customer Support

Dear Mattia,

I will try to find what you asked for. It was not nice from Intel to make this trap. I'm poor and this destroyed me completly. I was just tryed to make this board run better as there was major Turbo Boost bugfixes in update. So Intel finally destroyed my hardware. But Intel was good company for long time.

Have nice day,

Dan

Dear Mr Skorpil,

I am sorry if you are not happy with Intel's policy. Our warranty coverage for your motherboard is 3 years with us. Unfortunately if out of warranty we will not be able to replace the unit for you.

I will, for now, close this ticket but please email us once you have a valid proof of purchase which testify that the product is within the 3 years since purchase. I will then create an order of replacement for you straight away.

Thank you for understanding and I wish you a lovely evening.

Best regards,

Mattia

Intel Customer Support

• 3. Re: Don't upgrade your BIOS after warranty, old BIOSes on Intel page are faulty and it will destroy your motherboard!
              dan123456

I think you are just forum troll here. I did BIOS upgrade many times.

• 4. Re: Don't upgrade your BIOS after warranty, old BIOSes on Intel page are faulty and it will destroy your motherboard!
                Al Hill

Have you read the forum rules?  House Rules

We do not tolerate this kind of behaviour.  This is a warning.

Doc

• 5. Re: Don't upgrade your BIOS after warranty, old BIOSes on Intel page are faulty and it will destroy your motherboard!
                  N.Scott.Pearson

No, I am not a troll (just look at my profile).

If you want to attempt to recover your board's operation, you need to follow the instructions for BIOS Recovery. See here: Recovery BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® Desktop Boards. Here's my additional input on the process:

1. I strongly recommend using the USB method.
                  2. Use a USB 2.0 flash disk. Do not use USB 3.0 flash disks!
                  3. When it says to insert this flash disk into the PC, plug it into one of the (black) USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use front panel USB ports! Do not use (blue or yellow) USB 3.0 ports!
                  4. Where they say "use Recovery BIOS", you want to use the most recent BIOS update available for your board (i.e. you want to download and use file DB0043.BIO).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 6. Re: Don't upgrade your BIOS after warranty, old BIOSes on Intel page are faulty and it will destroy your motherboard!
                    dan123456

I tried it again and nothing helped. If you search internet, Intel replaced many of this boards, because this bug is irreversible. Just because I did not noticed, that this BIOS is broken and I have board longer than warranty is, I can't get new one. Intel did not wrote anything about this. This is known bug, Intel is aware of it. They just don't care about it. Few months after warranty? Bad for me, they have full warehouse of this garbage. By they want me to purchase new. Also it is cheap desktop board, so only poor people like me is purchasing this kind of hardware. Well, if Intel wants me to purchase AMD, sure I will, after whole my life telling everyone that Intel is best. This is why I have Intel CPU + Intel board and Intel network card, because I need solid stable long lasting product. It was true, but Intel changed. Now they showed me, that they want to make money on poor people. I found some MSI board in bazaar, so I will get it next month. After my granny will die, I will upgrade to AMD. Let Intel produce this garbage for corporations, they know how to force Intel to be careful in releasing updates.

• 7. Re: Don't upgrade your BIOS after warranty, old BIOSes on Intel page are faulty and it will destroy your motherboard!
                      dan123456

I found where problem is. APM is switching all connected USB devices into suspended mode. This is firmware problem and it means it is problem of all this motherboards. You told me: "I am a former (retired) member of the development team and still use a number of these boards across a number of different board generations. The BIOS updates are all just fine. They are compressed and encrypted and are signed and certified by Intel." and I think this is not true, because this problem is on original motherboard with signed BIOS image. My board serial number was checked by Intel, so I'm sure it is not fake. Now I will take this board to workbench to do measurements an also to try to workaround APM. I will release article about this problem, because I'm not satisfied by Intel solution to let me purchase new motherboard with new Windows license. Even if they will change motherboard, new Windows licence is needed so it cost customer more than value of this part in any case. I'm very disappointed by this Intel's politics.