7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2017 8:05 PM by WiGuy

Driver crash during HEVC playback w/DXVA2 (resume)

WiGuy

Hello,

Over in the Kodi forums, many users are reporting an ongoing problem with Intel Graphics drivers for the past 2 years when it comes to playing back HEVC(x265) content on intel graphics hardware in Windows 7 and 10.  This problem is widespread and affects many hardware platforms including the NUC, HD4600, HD5500, i7 6770HQ and likely most others.  This crash happens when attempting to resume a HEVC encoded video file using current drivers on a windows platform with Kodi v15,16,17 and should affect any media player which uses DirectX 11 and up.

One user reports that the issue is linked to the use of "open-gop" parameter used for encoding media files using HEVC (which is default for most encoders).

I'm an IT professional but not in software development, I'd like to help in any way I can but please have a look over at the forum thread linked below for further details.  This will likely affect most of your platforms as HEVC becomes more and more prevalent.  Other players which are unaffected typically use a much older version of Direct X.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289533

• 1. Re: Driver crash during HEVC playback (resume)
          WiGuy

Update - it seems that this is directly linked to the intel driver with DX11 + DXVA2.  Disabling DXVA2 and using DXVA rendering seems to avoid this crash.

• 2. Re: Driver crash during HEVC playback w/DXVA2 (resume)
            Ronald_Intel

Hello WiGuy,

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. Can you please report this to us using the following template: Default level information for reporting Graphics issues  ?

I would like to highlight the importance of the "Steps to Replicate" part. If you could also provide us with link(s) to some video files that can be used for testing that would be great.

Once we have this information we will try to replicate the issue internally.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

• 3. Re: Driver crash during HEVC playback w/DXVA2 (resume)
              WiGuy

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Over in the Kodi forums, many users are reporting an ongoing problem with Intel Graphics drivers for the past 2 years when it comes to playing back HEVC(x265) content on intel graphics hardware in Windows 7 and 10.  This problem is widespread and affects many hardware platforms including the NUC, HD4600, HD5500, i7 6770HQ and likely most others.  This crash happens when attempting to resume a HEVC encoded video file using current drivers on a windows platform with Kodi v15,16,17 and should affect any media player which uses DirectX 11 and up with DirectPlay(DXVA2).

One user reports that the issue is linked to the use of "open-gop" parameter used for encoding media files using HEVC (which is default for most encoders).

This will likely affect most of your platforms as HEVC becomes more and more prevalent.  Other players which are unaffected typically use a much older version of Direct X.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289533

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%):X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell Lattitude E5450

NUC based systems also

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
              ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Hybrid (HD5500)

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
              LFP
              = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
              EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Samsung LED TV UN55B

Seems irrelevant based on other forum users reports

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

4GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
              ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

HDMI connection

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 x64

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

20.19.15.4624 (seems to happen with all drivers going back as far as early 2015)

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Kodi v15,16,17

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1080p @60Hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC (Power Connected)

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
              A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.K

1. Install any version of Kodi from kodi.tv
              2. Go into System Settings-Player set settings level to Expert
              3. System-Settings-Player-Videos check that render method is set to DXVA and that "allow hardware accelleration DXVA2" is enabled
              4. Go back to the main home screen and go to Video-files
              5. Start playing sample video file and fast forward 5-10mins
              6. Exit video
              7. Start video again, you should have a menu asking to resume from where you left off
              8. Resume the video, this should cause kodi to crash (kodi developers are indicating that the crash is happening inside the intel driver)

Current workaround is to disable DXVA2 but leave DXVA rendering enabled (DXVA2 is enabled by default however)

Sample Video (start the download early, site only has 1Mb of throughput)

http://www.libde265.org/hevc-bitstreams/sintel-1080-cfg02.mkv

Hope this helps

Edit: copied initial post to description field

• 4. Re: Driver crash during HEVC playback w/DXVA2 (resume)
                Com_DAC

I too am experiencing this same issue. With DXVA2 disabled performance takes a hit with HEVC decoding and some videos are not playable. With DXVA2 enabled performance is great but any attempt to resume a video causes a crash. My hardware is a NUC5i3RYH with 8GB ram, Windows 10 x64, HDMI to TV @ 1080p/60hz. Short of my internal nuc specs I've got the same information as posted above.

• 5. Re: Driver crash during HEVC playback w/DXVA2 (resume)
                  WiGuy

Hi Rondald, is there any more information I can provide to help you recreate this issue?

• 6. Re: Driver crash during HEVC playback w/DXVA2 (resume)
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello all,

Thank you for the information you kindly provided to replicate this issue.

I was able to reproduce the issue with the driver version .4624; however, with the latest systems using driver version .4729 I was not able to reproduce it.

The error I get when resume the video you can check the attachment.

Thank you for your interest on reporting this issue and for your kindness.

We will further investigate and once we get an answer it will be post here.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 7. Re: Driver crash during HEVC playback w/DXVA2 (resume)
                      WiGuy

Thank you for looking into this Ivan.

The error message you received is Kodi crashing as a result of the crash inside the intel driver as far as I'm told by the application developers.

I couldn't find the updated driver you mentioned using the driver update utility, please see attached screenshot.  Can you advise me on how to proceed?