1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2017 3:10 PM by fusionx82

NUC6i3SYH boot drive missing and now cant reinstall from USB

ilium007

Hi - I have exhausted my knowledge and patience with this NUC over the past 24 hours.

I have a NUC6i3SYH that was happily running Linux for 6 months without a bother and unfortunately I had to install Windows for work. After the process of creating the ISO, updating the USB 3.0 drivers installing Windows 7 Pro and then upgrading to Windows 10 Pro I thought it was all good.

Tonight I rebooted the machine and.... no boot device.

I looked in BIOS and nothing was listed against UEFI or Legacy boot options - I know the 500Gb SATA drive was there because I saw it when I upgraded the BIOS to v61 last night. I the BIOS file manager I can see the 500GB SATA drive, I can browse it, I can see the Windows 10 install etc.

I created a new USB boot drive to try and reinstall and now I can't even boot from that - it doesn't show up in the boot devices. I have been through the exact same process to create the USB drive as I used last night (and this isn't the first time I have done this - the method I use works fine elsewhere)

I'm not a noob - I have been doing this as a job for 20 years almost and I have NEVER had this amount of drama with a machine.

When I take the internal 500GB SATA drive out of the NUC and put it in a USB 3.0 caddy and plug it in and boot..... low and behold it shows up as bootable (Windows then has a fit and want to do a repair but thats beside the point ). Obviously the HDD works, I knew that anyway because as I said I could see it in the NUC's BIOS file manager.

I have downgraded BIOS to v60, same thing. I have cleared CMOS. I have set BIOS settings to default. Nothing works.

Machine is running a single Kingston 8GB SO-DIMM that is on the Intel NUC6i3SYH website as being 'user tested' - KVR21S15D8/8

System Memory for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i[x]SY

Not sure what to do now.

1 2 Previous Next