7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 12:06 PM by Intel Corporation

USB keyboard and mouse freeze

PCNUT

I have an Intel DH67BL motherboard. I syspreped a Windows 7 Home Premium hard drive, connected it to the mobo and it goes through the motions of OOBE but then when it gets to the Set Up Windows screen the USB mouse and keyboard freeze. Up to that point they worked fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: USB keyboard and mouse freeze
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Desktop Boards communities.

Remember that if you are using the USB 3.0 ports, Windows® 7 will not recognize the devices connected to that port. If you use the USB 2.0 ports do you get the same behavior?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

• 2. Re: USB keyboard and mouse freeze
            PCNUT

Thank you for responding so quickly. Yes, I get the same behavior when using the USB 2.0 ports. However, I think that the keyboard and mouse are USB 1.1. They are an older keyboard and mouse.

Thanks. Rick.

• 3. Re: USB keyboard and mouse freeze
              N.Scott.Pearson

Try different (black) USB 2.0 ports on the board's back panel. Again, the Windows 7 installer does not have support for USB 3.0 ports built-in (USB 3.0 did not exist when Windows 7 was released). You must use USB 2.0 ports until you get Windows installed and the USB 3.0 driver loaded.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: USB keyboard and mouse freeze
                PCNUT

Scott - The USB keyboard and mouse are both USB 1.1, which I believe should work in a USB 2.0 port, correct? I have tried different ports on the back and front, but, none work. They work in the BIOS setup and in DOS to choose, for example, Safe Mode. Just wanted to reiterate that this is not a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium OEM. I did a sysprep on the drive that already has that operating system on it. Don't really want to reinstall all those programs. However, I'm sure I've spent way more time on this than a clean install would have taken.

Thanks. Rick.

• 5. Re: USB keyboard and mouse freeze
                  PCNUT

Scott - Also, I'm thinking it might be a driver problem. It would be helpful if someone could advise on how to add drivers during Windows setup that are on a DVD disc or a USB drive. I have the DVD that came with the mobo and I've downloaded USB 3.0 drivers from Intel's Support website. I've tried using Acronis's Universal Restore, but, that didn't work.

Thanks!

Rick

• 6. Re: USB keyboard and mouse freeze
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Well, of course it's a driver problem. The question is why you have one. USB 1.1/2.0 drivers are built into Windows 7 and should activate automatically. I am not very conversant with the SysPrep tool, but I didn't think that it affected device enumeration or driver activation.

At this point, I am thinking that what you should do is use an alternate HDD and attempt a normal installation and see what happens (i.e. whether keyboard works) when you reach the drive selection scene...

...S

• 7. Re: USB keyboard and mouse freeze
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                      Alberto R