Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Core i5-4460 doesn't have VT-x support?

TRai2
Novice

Hi all,

First of all, I'm a Windows 10 Insider running Insider Preview which is updated frequently.

Yesterday I upgraded my Windows 10 to build 16241. Since then, Intel Processor Identification Utility says "Virtualization Technology" is "No". In the BIOS, I'm sure I have set VT-x enabled. Can such a thing happen? I mean "OS can disable VT-x?"

Actually VMware says it doesn't support 64-bit OS. Must I wait for it to be fixed?

Thanks in advance.

I attach the screenshot of Identification Utility.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello maverick6664,

Thank you for joining the Processors community.

Based on the product specification for this processor, Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) is supported. We can confirm this here: http://ark.intel.com/products/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) Product Specifications

Since you track this to the new build version is possible that the operating system is interfering with the tool; however, make sure you have the following components up to date in order to make it easier for the Intel® Processor Identification Utility:

• BIOS
  • Chipset driver
  • Management driver

Once you have these updated, double check in your BIOS that VT-x is enabled and run the tool one more time.

Please share your results.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
TRai2
Novice

Hi Amy,

I found the solution. My BIOS caused the trouble. I updated the BIOS some month ago, but it was wrong. My processor was 4th generation, so an older BIOS is necessary. I downloaded an older version of BIOS and downgraded to it. Then Intel Processor Identification Utility said VT-x was Yes.

Thank you for your info.

Regards,

idata
Employee

/thread/116318 maverick6664, thank you for sharing this with us, I am glad to hear that everything is working now!

If you need assistance regarding other matters, please let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos