Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

"BIOS configuration is not compatible with Intel Optane memory"; Gigabyte-H270 D3H

kkaip1
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I have been struggling in installing Intel Optane 16GB with my new Gigabyte H270-D3H mainboard.

I have installed all of the Gigabyte mainboard's drivers, updating the latest BIOS which supports Optane memory. (BIOS version F5) (Referred to photo "BIOS 1.jpg")

It says "Your system BIOS configuration is not compatible with Intel Optane memory." (Referred to photo "Intel Optane Error.jpg")

After reviewing several topics in this webboard, I have tried these but they didn't work

1. Change Windows 8/10 Features between "Other OS,Windows8/10,Windows8/10 WHQL" (Referred to photo "BIOS 2.jpg")

2. Disable CSM Support while in Windows8/10 WHQL mode, this option resulted in bootloop.

3. Changing the SATA mode in BIOS setting from "AHCI" to "Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration" and it didn't work. (Referred to attached photo "BIOS 8.jpg"

Log file of installation is also attached.

Are there anyone able to help me solve this issue? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kkaip1
Beginner

This is my BIOS setting which the solution might be somewhere in this page.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kaipok,

We understand you are having issues while trying to setup your Intel® Optane™ Memory module and you get BIOS unsupported message.

We found out that you were working with one of our technicians and we realized that the BIOS mode in your system was set to Legacy.

To make a review of your case (for everyone else), we have the following troubleshooting performed:

• Changed BIOS from Legacy to UEFI mode:

1. Open Command Prompt with administrator privileges.2. Issue the following command: mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS3. Shut down and boot into your BIOS. Change your settings to UEFI mode.

• Realized that the command above was giving you errors due to several partitions, so you combined all partitions in one and the command worked.
  • Disabled CSM support and system booted up fine
  • Tried to enable Intel® Optane™ Memory software and received error: "The last partition on your system drive cannot be resized"
  • Unable to remove the last partition on your drive since it is a system partition (System Health).
  • Reinstallation of the operating system is required - In progress.

Please let us know as soon as you have completed the last step and test the software. We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
kkaip1
Beginner

Thansk Nestor. Right now the problem is resolved!!!! The process is stopped at Complete Windows installation. I will get back to my PC tomorrow.

For everyone else, these are your troubleshoot which you may encounter with Gigabyte BIOS or any kind of mainboards.

After a great assistance from Junior Morera, one of awesome Intel tech guy, we faced 2-3 doubtful obstacles during Optane enabling.

Obstacle 1: The Optane driver installer shows "Your system BIOS configuration is not compatible with Intel Optane memory"

Cause : CSM in BIOS was not disabled

Fact : CSM in BIOS has to be disabled but after installing Windows. If I disable it before the installation, the computer will run into bootloop or reboot into the BIOS setting.

Consequence: As I had to install the Windows during CSM enabled, the Windows was installed in MBR mode of HDD.

Then Mr.Junior told me to run a command line to convert the HDD to GPT

(mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS)

Obstable 2: MBR2GPT.EXE failed to run in a command prompt during in Windows and during recovery mode.

Caused: I'm not sure why, but I solved this problem by merging all partitions in that HDD into a single partition (Excluding the 500MB system reserve)

Solution: Merging all partitions. Then the command line mbr2gpt could proceed. As I could successfully convert the HDD into GPT mode. Then I could disable CSM in BIOS and run the Windows normally.

Consequence: The HDD is now on GPT mode which is one of prerequisites for Optane. But the Optane installation still failed as it showed "The last partition on your system drive cannot be resized"

Obstacle 3: The last partition on your system drive cannot be resized

Cause : Converting MBR to GPT caused the HDD created an EFI system partition at the last part of the disk. There has to be at least 5 MB unallocated space at the last part of the disk. But the EFI partition cannot be removed easily with disk partitioning softwares.

- Conversion of MBR to GPT in a one single partition of the HDD still results the EFI being on the last part of the disk

- The staff suggested me to reinstall the Windows while keeping the BIOS in CSM disable mode. But it didn't work. CSM disabling preclude booting with USB. So the Windows installation couldn't proceed.

What I did: I reinstalled the Windows in MBR mode (conventional way) and then use EaseUS partition Master to "move" the EFI partition (the last partition on the disk. (by increasing the unallocated space after the EFI partition). This resulted in error of the Optane installation.

0 Kudos
kkaip1
Beginner

My ultimate solution

1. Install the Windows 10 normally as you do

• The version has to be Creator Update or later.
  • The key is to create a C: partition occupying a portion of the HDD like in the sample photo, leaving at least 5 MB of the HDD unallocated which is one of prerequisites for Optane. (Thanks to the source https://www.petri.com/creating-a-partition-during-windows-7-installation https://www.petri.com/creating-a-partition-during-windows-7-installation )
  • If you have a big HDD and want to create more than 1 partition, DO CREATE ONLY C: DRIVE FOR WINDOWS INSTALLATION, and LEAVE THE REST OF THE HDD UNALLOCATED. This will fulfill one of prerequisites for Optane, at least 5 MB. After everything finished, you can partition the disk later.
  • The unallocated space cannot be partitioned in this step because the MBR to GPT conversion in the next step will fail.

For example of my 2TB HDD, at the beginning I have 2TB unallocated space. I create 400 GB of space to install the Windows. This will result in creating 3 parts;

Disk 0 partition 1: System Reserved 500 MB ; System

Disk 0 partition 2 400 GB ; Primary <- for Windows installation

Disk 0 Unallocated Space 1.55 TB

2. Convert HDD from MBR to GPT

• After getting in the newly installed Windows, go to the command prompt with administrator privilege and put in

"mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS"

3. Go back to BIOS and DISABLE the CSM 

4. Boot into the Windows normally, install the Optane driver and enabling it.

5. Now you can partition the rest of the disk as you want.

0 Kudos