2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 7:06 AM by hsimpson

Anyone else using a NUC6 as a Windows Media Center HTPC? - Issues/Pro's/Con's

hsimpson

I wanted to thank det_bradlee for all the help he has provided on these forums.

His thread:  Anyone else using a NUC6 as a Windows Media Center HTPC? - Issues/Pro's/Con's

is closed.  Thus, I am putting my info on a new one.

NUC6i5SYH

BIOS:    0061

RAM:     2 x 4GB DDR4 2133MHz  Corsair CMSO8GX4M2A2133C15

OS Disk: Adata Premier Pro SP900  128GB M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s  ASP900NS38-128GM-C

USB 2.0: GORITE lid 2xUSB2.0 - https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-Additional-Dual-Ports/dp/B01BJ0898Y

A/V:     HDMI port to Samsumg 50" LED/LCD TV

Remote:  CHEAP RCA universal - https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Rcrps04Gr-4-Device-Universal-Remote/dp/B007TAMJWQ

Input:   LIIR keyboard/touchpad.  I have bluetooth and 2.4GHz versions.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Touchpad-Windows/dp/B01D86A2JQ

1) Thank you for all the information you've shared throughout these forums.  I was able to follow your instructions in order to get Win7 installed.  I thought having the GORITE lid would mean no USB3 issues during install.  Alas, that was not the case.     At least it did solve the problem of USB3.0 interference on 2.4GHz devices.

2) Nice tip about the IR driver.  Maybe that will help me find a way to turn off the NUC from the remote.  I will try it this weekend.  For now, I can turn it on from remote, but have to issue a windows shutdown to turn it off.

3) I disagree with this comment: 

"Power brick is too big! No company should be placing large bricks at the end of their plug these days. I wish it was inline like a laptop adapter so it didn't take up so much space on a power strip..."

I prefer the way Intel has done it.  I hate the brick being "in the middle" of the cord.

4) Still to do:

. Fix USB3.0 disconnecting under heavy load.

. Try "shutdown -s" and see if that 'restart' issue still exists.

. Find a universal-remote solution that allows me to shutdown with IR.

• 1. Re: Anyone else using a NUC6 as a Windows Media Center HTPC? - Issues/Pro's/Con's
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello hsimpson,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

The Consumer Infrared (CIR) sensor on the front panel provides features that are designed to comply with Microsoft Consumer Infrared usage models (RC-6). With the RC-6 infrared controller I was able to shutdown this NUC.

Do you have the latest Intel® USB 3.0 Device Driver for Windows 7*?

This part I don’t understand it “Try "shutdown -s" and see if that 'restart' issue still exists.” Are you also having issue when try to restart the system?

Please let me know.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 2. Re: Anyone else using a NUC6 as a Windows Media Center HTPC? - Issues/Pro's/Con's
            hsimpson

I have ALL the latest drivers as I just installed the OS last week and downloaded the newest drivers.  However, I got something similar to this problem:  External USB drives disconnecting on Intel NUC D54250WYK

As that thread mentions, it only happens under heavy load.  I've found several things to check.  I will do that this weekend.

'With the RC-6 infrared controller I was able to shutdown this NUC.'

Thanks!  Maybe I can find out what code is being sent and program my cheapie universal remote.

'This part I don’t understand it “Try "shutdown -s" and see if that 'restart' issue still exists.” Are you also having issue when try to restart the system?'

I was unable to get the shutdown command to work on my parents' box.  I posted about it here:

Re: NUC6i3SYH restarts after shutdown

I will be testing this weekend.

This thread was just to thank det_bradlee as a few of his posts were VERY helpful in getting my Win7 install done.

I will mark it as 'answered' and post again only if I can fix some issues.

BTW, it's too bad Microsoft has made it impossible to stop Win10 from "phoning home".  I like the OS, but prefer to have control over my hardware.