6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2017 12:38 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i7bnh hibernation not working: it goes to sleep instead...

labreu

Hello guys.

I've got a NUC7i7BNH running windows 10 pro (with all the updates and drivers installed - btw, the drivers installed were downloaded from intel nuc's support page). I've updated the power settings so that:

1. I can hibernate it
      2. I can hibernate it by hitting the shutdown button.

Now, my problem is that sometimes, when I try to hibernate it, it will simply go to sleep instead. I've noticed some entries on the event viewer that seem to point this. FOr instance, here's one:

The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: Button or Lid

Now, does someone know why this would happen? How can I fix this?

I mean, this is my first NUC but hibernation is  something I've been using for years without any problems...I'm guessing that this is just another negative point to add to the NUC's list (another thing to add to the misterious BSOD that happen from time to time and nobody knows why...)

Thanks.

Luis

• 1. Re: NUC7i7bnh hibernation not working: it goes to sleep instead...
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

I tried to replicate the issue with the Intel® NUC7i3BNH, and the main differences between hibernation and sleep mode are the following:

Hibernation:
          The keyboard and mouse will not work to wake the NUC up, only the power key will do that
          The power light stays solid
          When the NUC wakes up, you will see the splash screen and the login screen, then it will boot to Windows showing all the screens you were previously seeing

Sleep:
          The keyboard and mouse will wake the NUC up
          The power light blinks
          When the NUC wakes up, it will boot directly to Windows with the screens you were previously seeing, without the login and splash screen

Are you noticing that same behavior on your NUC?

I checked even viewer and it only shows the moment when the NUC went to sleep and when it wakes up, registered as power-troubleshooter under source tab.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 2. Re: NUC7i7bnh hibernation not working: it goes to sleep instead...
            labreu

Hello Alberto.

Yes, I understand the behavior and the difference between hibernate and sleep.

Currently, I'm having 2 problems: sometimes the NUC does hibernate and it will crash while rebooting (it has just happened now - more about it in the next paragraphs). In other occasions, it looks like  it's hibernating (it's behaving just as you have described in your post - ie, power button stays solid red) but when I return to the pc, it has awaken itself (and when this happens, it typically has crashed during that process!). And yes, this awake on its own thingy will only happen when I don't unplug it from power.

Today, after arriving home, I've reproduced scenario 1: crashing while booting from hibernated state.

Here's what I've done:

1. I've hibernated the NUC yesterday around 10PM

2. after it entered hibernation (on/off button was on solid red state), I've went on to perform another chores

3. a couple of minutes later, I've unplugged it from the power (and I did this without looking at the nuc's front, so I don't know if it was awaken at the time or not).

4. Today I've plug it back on and it started immediately (ie, it started the minute I've plugged it to the power socket, even though I didn't press the on/off power button on the nuC!). Is this normal???

5. It starter booting normally (shown the function keys for uefi, setup, etc), but then everything turned black (no bsod this time - only black screen for a couple of seconds) and restarted again

Looking at the event viewer, I'm seeing some weird entries on the system section. For instance, I'm almost positive that I've turned it off around 22:20, but at that time, the event viewer has a sleep entry:

The following entry says that PC has awaken from sleep...weird...anyway, fast forward today and then there's the error message associated with today's boot: Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xc0000001

So, a couple of questions:

1. is there anything that makes window awake up from hibernation? I've found this post (Windows 10 wakes randomly from hibernate - Microsoft Community ) and I've followed their advice, so I guess I'll be able to see if this solves one of my problems. If this doesn't solve my problems, should I check anything in particular in the UEFI bios?

2. why do I keep getting these weird crashes when booting from hibernation? Is this something that might happen due to drivers? I've installed all the drivers and bios updates available on the nuc's support page about 2 or 3 days ago and this is still happening.

Oh, and this is a new unit I've received last week and I've installed it a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it (the previous was replaced under RMA because it was dying all over the place with BSOD that referenced memory problems...)

If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening, please let me know!

Thanks,

Luís

• 3. Re: NUC7i7bnh hibernation not working: it goes to sleep instead...
              Intel Corporation

Hi : In order to provide the most accurate response, I will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.
              I also encourage all the peers viewing this forum that if they have any information about this matter to share the feedback and suggestions on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 4. Re: NUC7i7bnh hibernation not working: it goes to sleep instead...
                Intel Corporation

: I just received some updates on this matter. The connected devices can wake NUC even if it is in hibernation. For making sure, than none of the devices wakes the NUC, please, disconnect all USB-devices and Ethernet Network and Wireless connection and hibernate your NUC. If it does not awake itself, than you should find out, what wakes the NUC. Then, please, turn on your NUC, connect all USB-devices and Ethernet and Wireless, hibernate your NUC and do the following steps, after NUC awakes itself:

Open Command Pomp as an Admin.
                Print “powercfg -lastwake” and press enter – the Command Pomp should show you device that wake your NUC.
                Go to the Device Manager, find the device that was in Command Pomp and go to the properties of this device.
                In properties in “Power Management” uncheck “Allow this device to wake the computer” and press “OK” for saving.
                Test hibernation.

If this command does not show any devices, then, please, check all devices, that can wake your NUC:

Open Command Pomp as an Admin.
                Print “powercfg –devicequery wake_armed” – the Command Pomp should show you the list of devices that can wake your NUC.

After this, you can testing hibernation connecting/disconnecting devices from the list to find out which of them wakes the NUC, and then changing properties in Device Management:

Go to the Device Manager, find the devices from the list in Command Pomp, go to the properties, uncheck “Allow this device to wake the computer” in “Power Management”, press “OK” for saving and test hibernation.

If the problem will persist, then OS or BIOS settings can cause it. Please do the following steps:

Load into OS, go to the Power Options and choose “Balanced” as recommended.
                Press Change plan settings-Change advanced power settings and in “Sleep” make “Allow wake timers” disable – because the Task Scheduler can wake your NUC.
                Please, return the default setting of the power buttons (”Shut down” for power button and “Sleep” for sleep button) and press “OK” for saving. Try to hibernate NUC from the OS.

If it still awakes, please do the following steps:

Load into BIOS 0048 and press F9 to load default settings.
                Press in BIOS Advanced-Power and in Secondary Power Setting set “Wake on LAN from S4/S5” as “Stay off”, unchecked “Wake from Thunderbolt Devices”, “Wake from S4/S5 via CIR” and “Wake from S3 via CIR”, make sure that “USB S4/S5 Power” is disable and press F10 for save and exit.

Speaking about crashing Windows – please, check if you have all necessary OS updates (Settings – Update & Security – Windows Update)

Please, provide us the information about:
                OS edition, version and build (could be found in the Settings – System – About)

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto R

• 5. Re: NUC7i7bnh hibernation not working: it goes to sleep instead...
                  labreu

Hello Alberto.

Thanks for the detailed answer!

I ended up doing something like that. Ive turned off the wake on Lan and then disabled all the existing wake from power state sx on the bios.

Seemed to have solved my problem...

Regarding the memory, it seems like it's a problem with the crucial dimm... Again... I've changed to a Kingston dimm and haven't got a crash till now...

Regards,

Luís

• 6. Re: NUC7i7bnh hibernation not working: it goes to sleep instead...
                    Intel Corporation

Hi : You are welcome. Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Excellent, it is great to hear that everything is working fine and that the problem seems to be resolved.

Any questions or updates, please let me know.

Regards,
                    Alberto R