10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 12:17 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i5BNH does not find Linux bootloader

raymondjpg

The primary installation on my NUC7i5BNH is Windows 10. After successfully installing Linux Mint 18.1 64 bit for dual booting on a second partition of the primary SSD, on rebooting I observed that the Windows bootloader was missing from the UEFI boot order in the bios. Then after disabling UEFI boot and unsuccessfully trying to boot into either operating system with Legacy boot, I observed that neither the Windows nor Linux bootloader was in the UEFI boot order in the bios. On rebooting again, the Windows bootloader appeared as the first option in the UEFI boot order in the bios, but no Linux bootloader was present.

Whatever I try I am unable to tweak the NUC Visual Bios to detect the Linux installation. Ideally I would like to have both the Windows and Linux options available under the UEFI boot order so I can choose which operating system to start up.

I see that this is not unique to the NUC7i5BNH. It seems that the Linux bootloader may need to be manually moved and renamed to what the NUC expects. As I cannot even get into the Linux system, this may need to be done from within Windows 10.

Any advice on how to get both Windows and Linux bootloaders into the UEFI boot order would be much appreciated.

Regards

• 1. Re: NUC7i5BNH does not find Linux bootloader
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In order to try to fix this problem, we will do further research on this matter. As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto R

• 3. Re: NUC7i5BNH does not find Linux bootloader
            Intel Corporation

You are welcome. I will provide the information as soon as I get it.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
            Alberto R

• 4. Re: NUC7i5BNH does not find Linux bootloader
              Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to let you know that I tried to replicate the issue, and in order to be able to select which operating system to boot with, you will need to select the desired OS in the bootloader called Grub which is installed by default when Linux Mint gets installed. In order to show both Operating Systems, select the option: "Install Linux Mint alongside Windows 10", this will provide the option to select which OS to boot with.

In the BIOS you will only see the hardware that is used to boot, for example: Internal Hard Drive / USB Flash Drive / CD/DVD ROM, etc. The option to select which OS to boot will not be available here, only hardware.

As additional information, I would recommend to first install Windows 10, try to make sure that it is a clean install, to create a clean install please download the official Media Creator Tool from the Microsoft Website, please refer to the link below:
              https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After doing so, create a bootable USB with Linux Mint, in the boot order select the USB first and then start with the installation, following the prompts on the screen, make sure to select "Install Linux Mint alongside Windows 10", Next time you reboot after the installation it will show a menu with both of the operating systems for you to select which to start.

Steps to follow for linux to recognize windows 10:

1 - Go into the BIOS and disable the UEFI boot, only leave the Legacy on.
              2 - While in the BIOS, look for the "Advanced" section and on "Boot Order" arrange it so that the USB is the first one.
              3 - Save changes and exit BIOS, restart computer with the USB flash drive connected (With the Linux Mint ISO).
              4 - Once it boots into Linux, select the "Install Linux Mint" Option and follow the prompts, select the option Install alongside windows.

Regards,
              Alberto R

• 5. Re: NUC7i5BNH does not find Linux bootloader
                raymondjpg

Thank you for trying to replicate the issue.

I followed all of the procedures exactly as you outlined:

1. I  did a clean install of Windows 10 using the official Media Creator Tool from the Microsoft Website.

2. I selected the option "Install Linux Mint alongside Windows 10" when installing Linux Mint.

When I rebooted I did indeed see the Grub bootloader with Linux Mint as the first option and the Windows bootloader as the second option in the Grub bootloader. However on entering the bios I could see only the Linux bootloader. I then disabled the UEFI boot, unsuccessfully tried to boot in legacy mode, then on re-enabling UEFI boot and rebooting I could then only see the Windows bootloader in the UEFI list, and the Linux bootloader had disappeared.

To replicate this issue I suggest that you:

1. Enter the bios and confirm that the Linux bootloader is the only entry in the UEFI boot list. If your installation is the same as mine then the Windows bootloader will NOT be in the UEFI list.

2. Disable the UEFI boot and boot in legacy mode, then re-enable UEFI boot, reboot and look at the UEFI boot list. If your installation is the same as mine then the Windows bootloader will be the only bootloader in the UEFI list and the Linux bootloader will have disappeared.

I don't know if disabling the UEFI boot and trying to boot into legacy mode is the step that causes the Linus bootloader to disappear and then on restoring UEFI boot for the  Windows bootloader to then become the only bootloader UEFI option available. In any case I do not want the NUC7i5BNH to be limited to only the Grub bootloader, I would prefer to see both the Windows and Linux bootloaders as options in the UEFI bios.

• 6. Re: NUC7i5BNH does not find Linux bootloader
                  Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

In that case, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,
                  Alberto R

• 7. Re: NUC7i5BNH does not find Linux bootloader
                    Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to let you know that we are still currently working on the case. Once I get additional details I will let you know.

Regards
                    Alberto R

• 8. Re: NUC7i5BNH does not find Linux bootloader
                      Intel Corporation

: I just wanted to let you know that I followed the steps you gave me on the previous thread and I was able to reproduce the same scenario. Since the UEFI bootloader is a Microsoft feature, then Windows will have priority over Linux in that regard, that is why the Linux bootloader disappears. In this case to use Grub bootloader will be the best thing to do.

Now, on the BIOS what you will see are the devices that are bootable, meaning SSD or hard drive that contains the bootloader, but you cannot boot from the BIOS. In order to choose from which devices to boot from, you will need to press F10 several times when the NUC is starting up. Based on that, another option will be to use an SSD and hard drive for each operating system, and then by using the F10 menu, you can choose to boot to Linux or Windows.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                      Alberto R

• 9. Re: NUC7i5BNH does not find Linux bootloader
                        raymondjpg

Thanks for confirming. I think that the inconvenience is due to Microsoft making it difficult for any bootloader other than the Microsoft one to be available from the Windows EFI partition. My reading of Linux installs in dual boot systems is that they very often recommend using the Windows EFI partition rather than set up a separate one for the Linux system. I think that is a mistake where Windows 10 is concerned, so I will probably try to install Linux again but this time not selecting the option: "Install Linux Mint alongside Windows 10" but instead selecting the "other" option which I think allows setting up of an EFI partition in the Linux installation.

It is useful to know that F10 may allow for discovery of the Linux boot option, but as both operating systems are currently on the SSD that might be awkward.

I had hoped that Intel might have found a way to reveal the Linux bootloader from the Windows EFI partition. It is clearly there under a "ubuntu" entry that was added when Linux Mint was installed. C'est la Vie.

• 10. Re: NUC7i5BNH does not find Linux bootloader
                          Intel Corporation

: You are very welcome. Thank you very much for sharing those comments. Correct, the UEFI feature was design by Microsoft, so Windows will have priority every time. I hope the information posted previously was useful for you.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,
                          Alberto R