8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 4:41 AM by Apachez

Intel Hyper-Threading Issue on NUCs NUC6i7KYK, NUC6iXSY, NUC7iXBN, 0048

OEFVet

Please describe the 0048 "Micro Code update to fix Hyper-Threading issue". Exactly how is the micro code updated to fix the HT issue?

Will HT be disabled or fixed?

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26842/eng/KY_0048_ReleaseNotes.pdf

BIOS Version 0048 - KYSKLi70.86A.0048.2017.0524.1741 About This Release:  Date: May 24, 2017  ME Firmware: 11.0.11.1005  Memory Reference Code: Based on 1.9.0.0  Integrated Graphics Option ROM: Build 1040 PC 14.34 UEFI Driver: 9.0.1047  LAN Option ROM: v0104.PXE 2.1 Build 092  Visual BIOS: 2.2.23 New Fixes/Features:  Micro Code update to fix Hyper-Threading issue.  Downgraded Intel Visual BIOS from “2.2.25” to “2.2.23” due to graphical errors with the on-screen Keyboard.  Removed “4096 MB” option in Setup page (Devices\video\IGD Aperture size)  Fixed the Recovery function where the ME couldn’t be flashed.

• 1. Re: Intel Hyper-Threading Issue on NUCs NUC6i7KYK, NUC6iXSY, NUC7iXBN, 0048
          N.Scott.Pearson

Alex,

Defects (errata) in processors fall into two categories, those that require a change in the silicon to fix and those that require a change in the microcode to fix. During the development of a new processor, those issues that require a change in the silicon are applied as new "fabs" of the processor are defined and produced. Since microcode updates can be soft-loaded, however, no microcode issues need cause silicon changes. Thus, when the silicon is considered production-ready, there may be (and usually are) errata in the processor that are fixed on the fly by having the BIOS load the necessary microcode updates during POST.

The HT issue is one where a fix is (only) necessary in the microcode. The microcode update can be added in a new BIOS update and, once installed, fixes the issue. Intel has provided the necessary BIOS updates for all of the NUCs with 6th and 7th generation Core processors. Bottom line, once the new BIOS is installed on your NUC, the issue will be fully addressed and you will no longer need to disable HT to avoid the issue.

...S

• 2. Re: Intel Hyper-Threading Issue on NUCs NUC6i7KYK, NUC6iXSY, NUC7iXBN, 0048
            OEFVet

Yes, but will the microcode simply remove the option to HyperThread or fix the problem?

I never knew this HT was an issue until I received my replacement NUC yesterday, and went hunting for the latest drivers. Would have explained why long Lightroom operations constantly failed, unexpected shutdowns, weird system hangs, audio pops/cracks, etc. I retired the NUC to a life of media service 4-5 months ago.

• 3. Re: Intel Hyper-Threading Issue on NUCs NUC6i7KYK, NUC6iXSY, NUC7iXBN, 0048
              Apachez

Scott,

Are these microcode updates (lets say this particular HT-bug) only available as bios updates or are they also part of the binary blob which the operating system can load aswell?

Here is for example how it may look in Ubuntu (Linux) if you enable "Using Processor microcode firmware for intel CPUs from intel-microcode (proprietary)" within "additional drivers":

[    0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x1f, date = 2016-04-01

[    1.887860] microcode: sig=0x40651, pf=0x40, revision=0x1f

[    1.887904] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.01 <tigran@aivazian.fsnet.co.uk>, Peter Oruba

• 4. Re: Intel Hyper-Threading Issue on NUCs NUC6i7KYK, NUC6iXSY, NUC7iXBN, 0048
                N.Scott.Pearson

I will answer you both in one response...

The microcode update provides a full fix for the HT issue. The HT feature will be available and enabled by default (unless you specifically disabled the feature in BIOS -- in which case you should enable it immediately after installing the BIOS update).

Some O/Ss do have the ability to install microcode updates. I don't rely on this capability because there is the possibility of errata that would cause the O/S boot process to fail (though processors don't usually ship until these errata are addressed). Unless I stick with Windows, I also can't trust them to be installing the very latest or not installing something rogue. Call me paranoid; I want the microcode loaded as soon as possible after power on and I want the root of trust to be solid.

...S

• 5. Re: Intel Hyper-Threading Issue on NUCs NUC6i7KYK, NUC6iXSY, NUC7iXBN, 0048
                  OEFVet

Thank you Scott, I am overly cautious about firmware/bios updates from all manufacturers; especially the ones which cannot be "rolled back". They tend to remove features. Suddenly I have an Alienware laptop firmware update which "fixes" the SATA3 problem by downgrading the ports to SATA2....Or a PS3 which can no longer play SACDs, or a QNAP NAS which can no longer read exFAT external drives.

0048 removed/downgraded 2 things:

Downgraded Intel Visual BIOS from “2.2.25” to “2.2.23” due to graphical errors with the on-screen Keyboard.

Removed “4096 MB” option in Setup page (Devices\video\IGD Aperture size)

• 6. Re: Intel Hyper-Threading Issue on NUCs NUC6i7KYK, NUC6iXSY, NUC7iXBN, 0048
                    OEFVet

This is off topic but that other thread in the forum is a sewer.

I also have a Skylake i3-6100 running a bootleg fileserver, it has random shutdowns and restarts. There is an intel linux microcode update, but I am running windows 10 pro on it, how do I fix the HT Issue in that processor?

Linux* Processor Microcode Data File

Version: 20170707 (Latest) Date: 7/7/2017

• 7. Re: Intel Hyper-Threading Issue on NUCs NUC6i7KYK, NUC6iXSY, NUC7iXBN, 0048
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Alex,

IMHO, your best bet is to get this through a BIOS update from your board manufacturer. Barring that, updates are installed by Windows. Check out this article regarding how to ensure that a specific update is included: [How to] Update microcode from Windows. | NotebookReview.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 8. Re: Intel Hyper-Threading Issue on NUCs NUC6i7KYK, NUC6iXSY, NUC7iXBN, 0048
                        Apachez

Yes but is the microcode update through the OS (no matter if its Linux or Windows) equal to the microcode update provided by the BIOS update?

Is there anyone from Intel who can provide info on which microcode updates for both linux (lets say Ubuntu) and windows provides fixes for the HT issue on intel NUCs?