Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Problems with my i7 920 Processor

idata
Employee

Hello.

First of all, i dont know if i'm in the right place, but thats the closest i can go i think, since i live in greece, and there is no technical support for intel here.

I recently bought a new pc, with the following specs (according to the identification tool i found on intel's webpage)

SYSTEM INFORMATIONComputer Manufacturer:ASUSTeK Computer INC.Computer Model:P6T SEOperating System (O/S):Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate EditionOperating System Build (O/S):(build 7600), 64-bitOperating System (version):6.1.7600O/S Language:0408System RAM:6.0 GBCD or DVD Device:HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 ATA DeviceSystem Hard Drive OverviewSystem Total Storage size:1337.4 GBLocal Disk C:\149.0 GBUsed space:55.7 GBFree Space:93.4 GBMemory DetailTotal Physical Memory:6.0 GBAvailable Physical Memory:4.9 GBTotal Virtual Memory:2.0 GBGRAPHICS INFORMATIONGraphics Product:ATI Radeon HD 4800 SeriesDriver Status:Non-Intel® device detectedVideo Memory:754.0 MBCurrent Graphics Resolution:1920x1080Current Color Depth:1920MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION Manufacturer:not detectedModel:P6T SEAA Number:not detectedBIOS Vendor:American Megatrends Inc.BIOS Version:0704BIOS Release Date:12/30/09System Memory:6.0 GBSound Card:Realtek High Definition AudioPROCESSOR INFORMATIONManufacturer:GenuineIntel®Model:http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei7/ Intel® Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHzIntel® Processor analysis toolshttp://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-015477.htm Additional tools CPU Speed:2.67 GHzLink to Processor Spec Finder:http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=All&ProcFam=3052&SearchKey=I7-920 Click to see Processor SpecificationCPU Revision:11CPU Type:00CPU Family:06CPU Model:1ACPU Stepping:5<th align="left" co...

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Vegan
New Contributor I

Check and see if a new BIOS is available for the motherboard.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

First of all, thanks for posting vegan

I've already done that, in fact, i've upgraded to the latest bios, but there was no difference. I've also tried to unplug all the peripherals, except a mouse and a keyboard, in case one of them was responsible for the problem. Although i happen to know what a clock interrupt is, im not an expert to determine if the souce of problem is on the processor, any other hardware, or on software. But as i read accross the forums, i see people who have the exact same problem as me, and with most of them, the only common component we have is the same processor. Most of them have tried a bunch of things, like changing power suppliers (most common answer on this problem by the other forumist) but got no luck out of it. And now that i think of it, none of them seem to have sorted out the issue. What i'm asking here is the following: Is there any chance that my processor could be faulty?

P.S. I actually took my pc to the shop where i got it, which clames to have the "best" service in country, and the only thing they did, was to power it up, run a benchmark or something for a small period of time, and see if it will get stuck. It didn't! Yeah, sometimes it works ok for an hour or so. So, i paid 20$ (more, actually, i pay in euros, but cant seem to find the appropriate character) to tell me that my computer is fine. Well, that's greece for you, hiring technicians that are not qualified for this job.. Anyway, so now im trying to figure out what to do with my faulty pc by myself, and by your help guys

Btw i got another pc stuck as i was writing this, good thing there was a recovery button when i opened, so i found my whole text, that was a pleasant surprise.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thought of that too, but i tried both windows 7 and windows xp, and i had the same problem with both of em, so i guess it can't be that : /

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Stop spending money on troubleshooting and get new memory.

Most likely your problem is that your memory is rated at 1.65v. The memory controller on your processor supports up to 1.6v memory and it is recommended to have 1.5v memory at 1333Mhz.

1.65v memory will burn your processor eventually.

PV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Although my memory is built for 1.65V, my memory controller is set to 1,5V by default. I tried changing it to 1.65V. There was no different, problem is still the same

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My suggestion is still the same. Try 1.5v memory. I have seen many problems like yours. If you truly believe that it is not the memory then the only other way to test your processor is using it on another compatible motherboard or testing another 920 on yours.

PV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This does not answer your query directly but I guess it will help.

Intel hosts live chat event with their experts where people can discuss Intel products technologies. The next event will be held around their core processors. I think that it will be a good platform to ask this or any other question. The next event is on 26th March at 9:30 am GMT. More info at

www.intellivechat.com/

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the exact same problem that you stated, and I have an intel i7 920 on a P6T (not SE version) as well. It's been like this for months, I thought it would be the soundcard because of the distorted sound, but now I'm using just onboard sound and it's the same. If you develop any progress please respond with your solution

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do you have freezes like all the time or just once a day? For me it's strangely only once a day. Mostly when I switched sound from front panel to normal out or otherwise, and then play a game. But after one crash it's totally stable - can't find an explanation for this

edit: My rams run at 1.5 and I have the same symptons and BSODs (6gb mushkin ram)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The problem is identical then.. most of the times i get one bsod or freeze per day, usually 15 minutes after i turn on my pc. If i don't turn it off for the whole day, it's pretty stable. the only difference is that it happens to me no matter what i do, play a game, or just open the explorer.

idata
Employee

Do you have the latest BIOS on your motherboard?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, i have upgraded to the latest bios

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm clueless.

Next step will be to start testing your system on a basic configuration and out of the chassis.

If you have another processor or motherboard you can also try swapping components.

The fact that you mentioned the audio having problems could indicate a power issue or grounding with the motherboard.

PV.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

Well I can only suggest a problem with Windows. I do avise new power supplies with higher capacity as they do tend to decline in age.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, about the windows, as i said, i already tried windows 7 AND xp, with no difference, so the problem can't be windows related (most likely)

About the power supply.. Well, its brand new Premier 600W, why would there be a problem with that? plus i've seen the wattage my computer consumes while working (not 3D, but the problem always happens, even when nothing runs in background) was less than 300W. And still, if it was was a problem with my power supplier, wouldn't it happen all the time? why it becomes stable after a BSOD happens?

I really can't figure out what is wrong with my system :'(

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

BSOD is caused by driver failures.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I almost started to feel, when I'm about to crash, so I reboot and I'm good for the day, but that's no solution..

But since it's like only a daily routine, when I think about it now, I completely plug out the computer from the power grid everyday when I go to the bed.

Do you turn off the power supply on the back daily as well?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What can i say, i've upgraded to the latest drivers for my motherboard, and the only other device i'm using now is a microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo. No, i don't turn of the power supplier, i just turn off my pc.

P.S. there is also a weird high frequency sound coming from my speakers when i'm using the scrollwheel of my mouse on IE.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

Looks like you might have a bad motherboard. Inquire with the manufacturer if the problem is not isolated to XP through Windows 7.

0 Kudos