7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2017 11:19 PM by irieblue

Power button

lkm1321

Hi,

I have an RTF drone, and I want to power it on using the power connector on the board itself (, not the connector on the 80-pin expansion board.

If I disconnect the power board connector on the 80-pin expansion board, it seems the PDB fails to latch. I can get it to boot and everything as long as I am holding down the button, but as soon as I let go of the button the power is gone.

Is there a latching mechanism required for the PDB to turn on and stay on? Is this achieved by Pin 2 CPU_GPIO_01 on the J1 connector of the 80-pin expansion board? If so, what voltage do I need to apply to get the power button to latch?

Brian Lee

• 1. Re: Power button
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Aero Ready to Fly Drone.

What you are experiencing is an expected behavior, if you want to use the power distribution board you will need to connect the “power and UART” and the “80 pin accessories – power board J1” cables to the PCB as originally connected in the RTF.

Other ways to power the Aero Compute Board are described in section 7 of the following document:

Connecting the Pixhawk Flight Controller to the Intel® Aero Compute Board
          https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/apu-170405-pixhawk-flight-guide.pdf 

If you have any other update or question, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Andres V.

• 2. Re: Power button
            lucasdemarchi

The PDB gives power to Aero Compute Board and waits for it to signal it got power.  If it doesn't it shutdown as you have noticed.

One way to do what you want on RTF would be to use another power module, as if you were powering on a pixhawk as Andres said. You'd loose the battery voltage monitoring though.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Power button
              lkm1321

Hey Lucas, thanks for the answer. I'm hoping to get around this without using a separate power module. When you say waits for the board to signal it got power, is that PIN 2 (CPU_GPIO_1)? Does it need to go LOW or HIGH?

Also, is the battery monitoring ADC done by Pixhawk or Intel Aero Board?

• 4. Re: Power button
                irieblue

I am in the same situation. I cannibalized my RTF as below . Unfortunately I can'd use the original flex cable as I am working with a modified cable.  Any idea how to workaround this? The Red arrow points to the power switch on the PDB that I need to hold down.

thanks

Aero.jpg  

• 5. Re: Power button
                  lkm1321

Hey man, I think in your setup it'll be fine once you make the connection between the other DF13 connector of the PDB to the POWER port of the expansion flex in the photo. What sort of flexible cable are you working with? I considered using another PDB, but it's kinda annoying because all the ESCs are controlled over UART, which isn't common..

I'm be really interested to know what's happening with your expansion port because I'm really interested in designing a custom expansion board.

• 6. Re: Power button
                    irieblue

I will give your suggestion a try later . The Flex cable in my setup is the regular Flex cable that's included with the Aero compute board. The cable  was reworked to breakout the the CANBUS signal to a connector I could use with my ESC. At some point when I get this to work, I'll need a real cable.

I  opted to use  UAVCAN  for my project. In part because the ESC's on the intel board are not documented, and I didn't want to use UART's. The ESC's I am experimenting with is from Zubax Robotics Orel 20 ESC, BLDC Motor Controller, CAN, 20A, 9-18V, PX4 Sapog .

sig.png

CAN.png

• 7. Re: Power button
                      irieblue

I finally had a chance to try connecting the other DF13 cable on the PDB to the flex cable. Unfortunately it *did not* address the issue, i.e the power doesn't latch.  I sill have to hold the button down to keep the board powered.

Any other recommendation on what to try? Is there a way to keep the board powered without holding down the power button on the PDB board? Why isn't it latching?

IMG_7187.jpg