9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 5:15 PM by Intel Corporation

slow wifi 2,4 ghz with ac 8265 @ yoga 720 13IKB

computermole

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Yoga 720 13LKB with Intel AC 8265, Win 10 64 bit as OS. Now the issues I'm experiencing are twofold and the following:

1. Slow Wifi connection if a 2,4 GhZ frequency is chosen, whereas it is fast as it should be if I choose the 5 GhZ frequency. On the 5 ghz frequency, I get 30 Mbp/s, whereas on the 2,4 ghz frequency at most 10 Mb/s.

At the same time, my mobile phone and a very old notebook with a generally very bad Broadcom chip deliver on both connections the speed they should, on these devices, regardless of the frequency I always get 30 Mbp/.s

I had a look in the energy settings of Windows as well as into the advanced settings of my network card and tried various settings (I also read intensely on this board and tried many of the recommendations I found), none of which improved the speed on the 2,4 ghz frequency

2. On both the 5 ghz frequency and 2,4 ghz frequency, the range is much more limited on my Yoga than it is on my mobile phone and my old computer. I understand this in the case of the 5 ghz frequency, but there seems to be a serious issue with the 2,4 ghz frequency

I should stress the fact that these issues occur with different routers, the one I'm actually using is a FritzBox 7490 but the same issues held for some Netgear Router (the model of which I don't remember). Right now, I'm running the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers version 19.60.0, but I also tried different (older) drivers, none of which improved the speed on the 2,4 ghz frequency.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: slow wifi 2,4 ghz with ac 8265 @ yoga 720 13IKB
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello computermole,

We understand you're experiencing performance issues with your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 while connected to the 2.4 GHz band only.

In order for us to investigate this problem we would like to take a look at your current hardware configuration and settings. Please download the Intel® System Support Utility and run the report while connected to your 2.4 GHz network, then again while connected to your 5GHz network. You will then need to use the advanced editor (top right) while replying to enable attachments.

With this information we should be able to troubleshoot both of your issues, although the range issue may point towards a hardware problem. If this is the case, you may need to engage your computer manufacturer for warranty support at some point.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,
          Carlos A.

• 2. Re: slow wifi 2,4 ghz with ac 8265 @ yoga 720 13IKB
            computermole

Hey,

the first file is the one I have created while connected to the 5GHz network. The second = 2,4 GHz network.

• 3. Re: slow wifi 2,4 ghz with ac 8265 @ yoga 720 13IKB
              Intel Corporation

Hello computermole,

Thank you for those reports. Unfortunately they seem to be missing some of the usual information, which is odd.

Let's proceed by testing the latest driver provided by your computer manufacturer: 

- Intel® WLAN Driver for Lenovo* Yoga 720-13IKB*

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Their version will be older than ours, but it takes into account any customizations performed on your adapter when it was integrated into your system. The drivers provided by us are generic versions, which in some cases may not work as well.

If you're still experiencing the same problem with their driver we can try a driver-only clean installation instead:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter: Wireless_19.60.0_Driver64_Win10.zip
              2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."
              3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."
              4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else then press OK.
              5. Reboot your computer.
              6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

Do let us know if this makes a difference.

Best regards,
              Carlos A.

• 4. Re: slow wifi 2,4 ghz with ac 8265 @ yoga 720 13IKB
                computermole

Dear Carlos,

I have tried both suggestions, and they definitely affected my connection speeds and improved the range (I would now say that the range is normal, although a bit disappointing since it is not better than it is with my older computer nor with my (rather cheap) mobile phone). What happened with the connection speeds is very strange:

1. With the Lenovo Driver you suggested, the speed of the 2,4 ghz connection has definitely improved (+ 5 Mbit/s), but it is still only half as fast as the 5 ghz connection (and also only half as fast as it is on my old computer & mobile phone). The 5 ghz connection remains unchanged on the Lenovo driver.

2. If I do the driver-only clean install with your latest 19.60. driver, the speed of the 2,4 ghz connection drops below that which the Lenovo driver gives me. However, at the same time, the speed of the 5 ghz improves a bit (+ 5 Mbit/s).

With both suggested steps, the range has increased for the 2,4 ghz frequency, but the speed is still unacceptably low.

• 5. Re: slow wifi 2,4 ghz with ac 8265 @ yoga 720 13IKB
                  computermole

I should also say that when I access my router , the following information appears when I click on "wirless networks" while connected to the 5 ghz frequency network:

DESKTOP-PAB201V192.168.178.5200:28:F8:1E:A0:5529 / 1305 GHz / ac / 80 MHz
                  WPA2, 2 x 2

However, while I am connected to the 2,4 ghz frequency network, I do not get any information about my computer. From the information accessible via the router, I cannot even see that I am connected to the network!

• 6. Re: slow wifi 2,4 ghz with ac 8265 @ yoga 720 13IKB
                    Intel Corporation

Hello computermole,

I'm not sure why your router isn't detecting your computer info when you're connected to the 2.4 GHz SSID. But for this we can recommend making sure that your router is using the latest firmware available.

Going back to the range problem. At this point it's hightly recommended for you to engage your computer manufacturer as well. It's possible that your antennas may not be properly connected, or that they're defective. It's not normal to hear complains in regards to connection speed with these adapters, the 8265 is not a low end model.

As far as range goes, that depends a lot on the antennas that come installed in your system. These are provided by the computer manufacturer and in some models lower gain antennas may be used to comply with X or Y country regulation. Your system's chasis and antenna placement also play a big part in this.

Best regards,
                    Carlos A.

• 7. Re: slow wifi 2,4 ghz with ac 8265 @ yoga 720 13IKB
                      Intel Corporation

Hello computermole,

We have not heard back from you in a while. Where you able to contact Lenovo* for hardware support?

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Best regards,
                      Carlos A.

• 8. Re: slow wifi 2,4 ghz with ac 8265 @ yoga 720 13IKB
                        computermole

Unfortunately, bad news from Lenovo. It seems that my computer's hardware is fine. I'm still wondering why my cheap Motorola G4 Plus has much better Wifi on board than my yoga 720 notebook,

• 9. Re: slow wifi 2,4 ghz with ac 8265 @ yoga 720 13IKB
                          Intel Corporation

Hello computermole,

If the adapter is ok, then we may need to look else where to resolve the problem. The 8265 is a very good, modern adapter. It makes use of 802.11ac Wave 2 features, which allow it to performs better than other wirelress-AC adapters. 

Another way to confirm an issue with your hardware would be by installing an USB Wifi Dongle, but this would require purchasing the adapter, and may not be worth the trouble in this case.

Have you been able to test your connection while on different WiFi networks? Does the same problem occur then?

Best regards,
                          Carlos A.