Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Realsense 400/410 vapourware?

FDogg
New Contributor II

Does this product actually exist, and will it ever be released? The last info from intel looks to be back in August last year - nearly a year ago, and since they've taken a hatchet to maker/hobby products, will this ever see the light of day?

I was super excited about the great engineering innovation Intel has come out with lately and got a Joule and realsense r200, but the reality has been a little deflating. The support and documentation is terrible, the less said about the OS the better, and the lack of transparency and information from Intel about roadmaps, timeframes, future products etc is non-existent - it's like it's a state secret. As a customer I feel like I'm treated with complete contempt and it looks to be a widely held view..

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Although cancellations of announced products do occur (such as the RealSense Smartphone Developer Kit), I have heard nothing to suggest that the RealSense 400 has been cancelled. Indeed, although Joule, Edison and Galileo are ending, the RealSense camera range will be continuing, with new products to be introduced.

I do understand your great frustration about documentation, and are aware that it has been a commonly voiced concern across the various support forums. The right people at Intel are also aware of this and although I do not have any insight about their plans regarding documentation, the problem certainly is not unknown to support leaders.

In case you have not seen it, here is the most recently available image of the RealSense 400.

0 Kudos
FDogg
New Contributor II

Has there been an official announcement from Intel that Realsense is continuing? Anything at all about the 400 from Intel? Information, specs, timelines? Given the total lack of respect they gave to customers of the edison/joule who were collaborating with projects under NDA, I have little faith they will treat realsense customers any better. I appreciate the response and I know you're a very helpful person around the forums, but I could not care less about a picture.

Intel have been aware of poor support and documentation for a long time. I honestly don't think they care - their target market are very large enterprises and they really don't understand smaller customers and the impact that poor dealings have with them. Take these 'support' forums - the Intel employees are very nice and helpful, but they have little technical knowledge of any of the products so really are of limited use.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I was informed informally that the RealSense range is continuing when I passed on the forum users' concern about the cancelled products, and that whilst some cameras might be naturally retired over time, new models will be introduced. I could not comment more than that. There is not an official statement yet on the 400. I believe an official statement on Joule, Edison and Galileo will hopefully be made "soon".

There is not much detail yet about the 400, other than it can track over double the depth points and operate over a range that is double that of previous RealSense cameras. This is made possible by new vision chip technology, likely from Intel's acquisition of the vision company Movidius last year. It also operates both indoors and outdoors.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi fnoop,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Realsense™ Platform.

We do our best to provide technical information as it becomes available. As a technical support function, we cannot comment on roadmaps. Please continue to monitor the Intel news and marketing websites for the latest product announcements.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi fnoop,

Please know that the reason there is no technical material available is because the RS400 series products have not been released.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos