10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2017 11:48 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly

Dougster

I immediately updated the bios when I got my NUC, then installed UBUNTU on it.  It worked well and issuing the shutdown command powered the NUC down just fine.  I decided to wipe the drive and install Windows 10 on it. All the device drivers, chipset drivers, etc installed just fine. Then I went to restart the NUC from Windows.  It hung up with the power light still on and there was no video output on the screen.  I had to hold the power button down until is powered off.  Once I got it booted up, I issued a shutdown from windows 10 and again the screen went blank and the power button light stayed on.  I booted from a LINUX USB drive I have and tested shutting the NUC down and it worked just fine and powered all the way down so this is definitely a Windows 10 problem.

This doesn't seem like a big deal but it is when the NUC is setup as my HTPC and everytime Windows 10 applies and update and restarts (which I cannot stop from happening thanks Microsoft), the NUC goes down but doesn't come back up and none of my devices can access it and my family blames me for not being able to access our movies, pictures, etc.

Does anyone else have this problem.  Any suggestions on what to do?  I  even wiped the drive again and reinstalled windows but didn't manually install / update any drivers or let Windows install any update and the problem was there from the get go.

• 1. Re: NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly
          lw1948

HelloDougster ,

Could be some think wrong in your Windows installation. For example the partition, you created is not UEFI partition. Please find a link to a tutorial how to make clean Windows 10 installation: Windows 10 Forums  . Skip over para. 12 (legacy boot) and go directly to para 13 (UEFI boot). Delete all existing partition and create new partition. Your disk shall be partitioned like shown in para.13 B).

By the way, in order to make the NUC working correctly you shall install the Intel drivers. The easiest way to download all driver bundle (instead of downloading each driver separately):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95069/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BNK  .  You shall not use Intel Driver Update utility which is full off bugs.  Extract the bundle zip and install each driver manually starting from the Chipset and Management Engine drivers. Then continue with the rest. You don't need to reboot your NUC after each driver installation. Reboot at the end.

Hope this helps

Leon

• 2. Re: NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly
            Dougster

I installed windows 10 from a download.  My SSD drive was completely cleared of all partition.  I followed the basic installation.  The article you cited shows 4 partitions created, I looked at my NUC and I only have partitions 1,2 & 4. I don't have the 16MB MSR partition.  I finding it hard to believe that an OS partition layout would cause my problem.  It seems that it must be some issue with the way Windows 10 is issuing the shutdown command to the hardware.  Like there is something wrong with the chipset drivers or maybe something with the BIOS.

• 3. Re: NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly
              lw1948

In my opinion, your Windows installation is cause to your problem. The missing in your installation MSR partition is used by the O.S. software. Beginning in Windows 10, the size of the MSR is 16 MB.  MSR partiton is added to each GPT drive to help with partition management.  If you will follow the tutorial I've pointed for you (i.e. delete all old existing partition and then  create new 4 partitions), the system will work as expected.

Also the second part in my post above (i.e. installing drivers manually) is important.

Regards

Leon

• 4. Re: NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Dougster,

I’m following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved with the information posted by lw1948 or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan U.

• 5. Re: NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly
                  Dougster

I've been traveling so much lately I have not had a chance to try the suggestion.  It might be a few weeks until I can.  I'll update my post with the results when I try it out.

• 6. Re: NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly
                    Intel Corporation

Thank you!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ivan U.

• 7. Re: NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly
                      Dougster

OK.  I finally got around to reinstalling windows 10 after I updated to bios revision 50. During the installation process it displayed the current partitions on the drive and all 4 partitions were there as they should have been.  It seems that Windows 10 Disk Management hides the 16 MB MSR partition that is why I didn't see it before.  After the installation completed the NUC was automatically rebooted and did so correctly. 

Once Windows came up again and I logged in, and turned off "fast boot" in Windows. I then issued a shutdown from windows and the OS did shutdown (I could tell because the video signal to the monitor went off) but the NUC did not power off.  I next tried a issuing a reboot from Windows and the same thing, no power off.  Then I tried to put it too sleep Windows and the same thing.  I then installed all the latest NUC drivers (chipset, etc) and tried again, no luck. 

After searching the Internet for solutions and shutting down over 20 more times, the NUC did properly power off 3 times, once when I pressed the power button and twice from windows but it seemed to be random luck and I could not get it to happen twice in a row.  When I issue the shutdown command I get 3 results, 1) most of the time the Windows does shutdown & I lose video signal 2) Windows starts to shutdown, I see the usual "Shutdown" screen but then the video signal starts flashing the screen with noise in the foreground and the "Shutdown" screen still in the background almost like the video cable connection is going bad. 3) I get a normal shutdown of Windows and power down of the NUC, but like I said, its rare and random.

As I said in my previous post, I can boot my NUC with Linux and issues a shutdown command and the NUC powers down like it should every time.  So there is definitely something up with how Windows is issuing the shutdown command to the BiOS or the how the BiOS is interpreting it.  I reset the BiOS setting to factory default just to make sure that wasn't an issue, but no luck.

I'm about to give up on this and return the NUC because this NUC is my media center and I can't the NUC hanging up on a reboot command from Windows every time it installs an update. I find it strange that no one else is having this same problem.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated.  I'd even be willing to send my NUC into someone at Intel to have them take a look at it.  Are there any diagnostic tools I could run?

• 8. Re: NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly
                        Intel Corporation

In this case, I suggest you to contact support and get a replacement for the unit.

You can create an online service request or you can do live chat to speed up the process.

Today I was testing this unit in our lab and we did not experience this problem and I haven’t seen others reporting the same behavior so I suggest getting a replacement for the unit.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

• 9. Re: NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly
                          Dougster

The mystery is solved.  Since no one else is having the same problem, I decided it must either be the RAM or the SSD I put it.  In the NUC I had installed Crucial DDR4-2133 1.2V CL15 (2x4GB modules).  I decided to cracked open my son's Lenovo Ideapad 700 and swapped the 2x4G memory RAM modules out of it into the NUC which conveniently was compatible DDR4-2133 1.2v.  The NUC fired up no problem and then shutdown with no problem. It also rebooted and slept with no problems either.  I then installed the Crucial memory from the NUC into the Lenovo laptop and it worked just fine.  BTW, the Lenovo is also a Windows 10 OS, so it's not just the memory modules causing the problem.

So there is something about the combination of the Crucial memory modules and Windows 10 on the NUC that causes it to not power down completely, reboot or sleep properly (most of the time).  Please note that I booted & ran 3 different flavors of LINUX on the NUC and it always shutdown/powered down just fine.   If anyone knows why Windows would have this shutdown problem with this particular memory module on the NUC, I would love to hear about it.

Crucial DDR4 Memory.jpg

• 10. Re: NUC7i3BNK with Windows 10 will not power down or restart properly
                            Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information and I’m glad that the issue has been resolved.

I’m sorry that the issue is only with Windows® 10 and this specific RAM, I haven’t heard any issues similar to this one, however, the RAMs Intel tested and validated with this NUC can be located here:
                            https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-kits/000023164.html

Regards,

Ivan U.