Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel HD 620 artifacts on laptop screen

ARapa
Beginner

Hi,

I have a quite new (3m) ASUS Zenbook UX410uqk laptop (i7-7500U) with Intel HD and nVidia GeForce 940MX.

About a week ago, I switched my laptop power options from 'Balanced' to 'High Performance' for better performance in Android Studio, but the same day later I switched it back to 'Balanced'. Since then, the PC turned slow and even a simply 2D games (e.g. FTL - Faster Than Light) worked as an old Celeron (~10-15 fps). At the same time, nVidia card was working fine (e.g. Civilization VI worked perfectly).

For 2 days now, an additional feature appeared: https://youtu.be/euc5Sqck5po https://youtu.be/euc5Sqck5po - there are some artifacts on screen, while working with Intel HD. They are both present on internal and external monitor, so the laptop screen is not the cause.

I have already tried:

• re-installing latest vendor drivers from ASUS website - no effect
  • installing clean Intel drivers (15.45) - as above
  • reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch (clean install) - no changes

I can get rid of that by uninstalling ANY\ALL Intel drivers from Windows and switching to something like "Windows Basic Display Driver" (Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) - for a price - screen resolution is low and no option to enable nVidia driver then. Any driver (even Microsoft Generic for Intel HD) and changing resolution to higher than minimum, cause the artifacts to appear.

I have tested the CPU with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, but no issues found.

All the drivers mentioned above were working perfectly fine a week ago, so I do not find it as a "driver" issue.

My question is: is there a way to test and verify what is the nature of the problem? Any test tool?

I have already called ASUS reseller, but they say it is probably a driver problem, so no assistance to be provided.

Thank you in advance for any hints

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello LadyRoot,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your laptop. You have tried almost all recommendations I could give.

At this point, I would try testing each of the available graphics driver versions available to see if any of them solves the issue:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/96551/Intel-HD-Graphics-620 Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 620

Check for any BIOS update available.

If the steps above don't fix the issue, I recommend contacting Asus for a possible RMA since this could be related to a defective graphics controller.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
ARapa
Beginner

Hi Juan,

thank you for your assistance and help.

After several contacts with ASUS service engineers, it seems that the graphics controller was malfunctioning.

ASUS replaced the Zenbook's motherboard to new one, and the issue is gone.

Regards,

LR

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi LadyRoot,

Thank you for letting me know. Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi LadyRoot,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos